Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New design for lansdowne road

• 18-10-2005 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

The details of the design for the new lansdowne road stadium were realeased yesterday, with final artist impressions, and is set to be submitted for planning permision in the next few months. It looks very impressive...
    Click 1
    Click 2
    Click 3
    Click 4
    LRSDC.ie wrote:
    Confirmation that Application for Planning will be made in December

Mr John O’Donoghue, TD, Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism unveiled the design for the new Lansdowne Road Stadium at a function held earlier today, Monday 17th October, 2005, in Lansdowne Road. The design, which has been created by international stadia architects, HOK Sport Architecture, working with Ireland’s Scott Tallon Walker is for a 50,000 all seated stadium. Mr O’Donoghue also confirmed that plans are on schedule to lodge for planning permission in December of this year.

The new design which has been created by the HOK/Scott Tallon Walker team has evolved over a four month period during which when the Design Team met with many of the different stakeholder groups involved in and impacted by the stadium.

The resultant design which is on four levels for three sides, sweeps down to one level at the North End to minimise the impact on those residents living in closest proximity to the stadium. The design also makes wide usage of both translucent and reflective materials all of which are designed to minimise the impact on the local area by reflecting as much light as possible.

Commenting on the design the Minister said "This is another major piece of sporting infrastructure in the city of Dublin which will be enjoyed by all Irish people. We can be proud of this imaginative and attractive design. It is a superb modern structure and one which I hope will come to be an icon for Irish rugby and soccer followers."

Speaking of the design Mr Philip Browne, Chairman of Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company, complimented the Design Team on what he said was a most innovative solution to the challenges they faced.

“This is a very different stadium to the one which we looked at in our original feasibility study. We believe the team has taken on board many of the concerns raised and have addressed them without compromising their design. They have also built in a great deal more facilities than we originally had hoped for. This in turn has given us a wider range of funding opportunities.”

“As we have already indicated the budget for the stadium will be €365 million (€321 plus VAT). Given the additional funding opportunities through the provision of additional premium seats and corporate facilities the IRFU and the FAI are confident that the additional monies needed will be raised by the two associations. As you know, the Government is providing a generous contribution of €191 million.”

Speaking on behalf of HOK Sport Architecture the Senior Principal, Rod Sheard, said: "The new Lansdowne Road Stadium is a design for the 21st Century, symbolising the positive future for sport in Ireland. It will be a sporting and entertainment venue that provides facilities and comfort levels comparable to the best in the world."

" The stadium has been designed to be distinctive and to complement its setting in the heart of the city, creating a national stadium which will be globally recognisable as the home of Irish Rugby and Football."

Christopher Lee, HOK Sport Architecture’s Design Principal added: “Reflecting the colour of the sky and light conditions, the building’s façade will be ever changing. The undulating transparent form of the new Lansdowne Road stadium will be an ephemeral addition to the skyline of Dublin."

I suppose it still raises the question though, that if we're going to go to all the trouble of completely rebuilding a national stadium with world class facilities, is 50,000 capacity big enough in the immediate term, let alone long term??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

50,000 is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Mossy Monk wrote:
    50,000 is a joke

That's be 38,000 paying fans and 12,000 prawners....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Mossy Monk wrote:
    50,000 is a joke

Why?

Do you honestly think that 80,000 would watch the Faore Islands? Or most of the friendlies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

havent they already got into money problems with funding for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Ruu wrote:
    havent they already got into money problems with funding for it?

Not really, they've upped the no. of Premium and Corporate seats to cover the extra costs. Selling them as 10-year block tkts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

80,000 could be sold for any competetive match.
    Also for friendlies we would get at least 60,000, but with FAI policy of selling tickets in pairs, you have to buy tickets for the smaller games as well as the big ones...All friedlies would be sell outs, hence the reson the China game was a sell out, and every friendly for that matter.

There is such demand for tickets that 80,000 would easily sell for every competive game. dont worry about empty seats.

Anyway i wouldn't mind a few empty seats if that means i could get a ticket for any game i wanted!! But you'd need a 150,000 seater stadium for that...at least.

Current capacity of Lansdowne road is 49,000, which sells out for every rugby game; Friendly and competetive; but is reduced to 36,000 for footy matches because of fiffa all seater regulations.

In total, it's a capacity increase of 1,000. But now meets fifa regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If we wanted an 80,000 seater it would have to be somewhere other than Lansdowne. I'm happy enough with Lansdowne being a 10 minute walk from my house so lets be happy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah, me too...plus it looks cool :)

I just wish it was bigger :( But it'll have to do, and it's very good if not a bit small...but light years better than the rickety old stands we have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jank wrote:
    Do you honestly think that 80,000 would watch the Faore Islands? Or most of the friendlies??

what about those big games, the 6 nations games? granted it wouldnt be full every game but it would accomodate for every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The pictures make it look like they just copied Croke Park and put a futuristic looking roof on it.

They even have the little stand behind one of the goals to act as The Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Looks cool, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks stunning, but I was hoping for around 60,000-70,000. Going to a international will be like Slane. Tickets sold out in 1 hour etc. Scalpers Paradise. People will be going up there just to look at the stadium.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I really feel that the stadium should have been at least 10,000 bigger. Tickets to football matches including the Faroe Islands are like gold dust with thousands more people looking for tickets than can actually get them. Why do you think they sell for such crazy prices on ebay. Ireland could easily sell out a 70,000 or so stadium for competitive matches and would get at least 60,000 at friendlies considering they are already getting close to 50,000 at them.

I understand the housing around the stadium is restricting its capacity but they really should have thought of a way to make it bigger. It looks good but thats not really what counts is it. Still at least we are finally going to build this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The pictures make it look like they just copied Croke Park and put a futuristic looking roof on it.

They even have the little stand behind one of the goals to act as The Hill.
    eh? The Hill would be a lot bigger if it weren't for the railway track (which I reckon could be incorporated), housing in the area and general planning permission - it'll be similar restrictions for Lansdowne that'll effect the design. Appart from the number of tiers I don't see how it looks anything like Croke Park.

<edit>

I hope we build it but I'm still dubious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Its an architectural monstrosity. I think Ron Sheard refered to it as the first 'responsive stadium' but what he's actually saying is 'this lobsided mess is the only way we could think of to fit 50,000 people into this location.'. It's like trying to fit a square plug into a round hole only in this case the plug is going to cost us €365m+. No other city would accept such a joke of a design but now in Dublin will have two of these half-finished looking eyesores.

We'll have to stop thinking of Dublin as 'city of three castles' and start calling it the 'city of three-sided stadia'

I hope it never sees the light of day (pun not intended).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pigman II wrote:
    Its an architectural monstrosity. I think Ron Sheard refered to it as the first 'responsive stadium' but what he's actually saying is 'this lobsided mess is the only way we could think of to fit 50,000 people into this location.'. It's like trying to fit a square plug into a round hole only in this case the plug is going to cost us €365m+. No other city would accept such a joke of a design but now in Dublin will have two of these half-finished looking eyesores.

We'll have to stop thinking of Dublin as 'city of three castles' and start calling it the 'city of three-sided stadia'

I hope it never sees the light of day (pun not intended).
    Frank McDonald loved it, so it much be ok ;)
    It's the best capacity they could do for the location, so there's not point going on about 50k being to little.
    To resolve this, they'd have to build elsewhere.... and that brings in the whole looking for a site and then buying it saga.
    At least with Landsdowne, the site is there and they have a much better chance with PP.
    It's the only way to get it done within the next 5 years.
    Besides, we may have "Stadium Ireland" within the next 20 years or so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

personally, i think 50000 aint enough, i mean, they are spending quite a deal of money on it, looks like rip off republic again. i mean, look at the cardiff stadium, 72000 and i dont think that they are a bigger sporting nation than us. they rebuilt the whole stadium for around €250 million, so i mean, if they can do it, why cant we? id love the spectacle of a uefa cup/chapmions league final, even a full house for a heineken cup final. we definately have the capability of filling the stadium(or getting crowd of 60000 plus) around 8 times a year on previous years.

all the rugby games should get massive crowds and im sure we would play 2 or 3 very attractive friendlies in both rugby (new zealand/australia this year i think) and soccer(like brazil/portugal/italy this year). add in club rugby such as munster/leinster playing semi/finals in dublin, then the stadium definately wont be under used. on top of the then, we would have the international games and with us now fourth seeds, a few juicy games are guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

personally, i think 50000 aint enough, i mean, they are spending quite a deal of money on it, looks like rip off republic again. i mean, look at the cardiff stadium, 72000 and i dont think that they are a bigger sporting nation than us. they rebuilt the whole stadium for around €250 million, so i mean, if they can do it, why cant we? id love the spectacle of a uefa cup/chapmions league final, even a full house for a heineken cup final. we definately have the capability of filling the stadium(or getting crowd of 60000 plus) around 8 times a year on previous years.

all the rugby games should get massive crowds and im sure we would play 2 or 3 very attractive friendlies in both rugby (new zealand/australia this year i think) and soccer(like brazil/portugal/italy this year). add in club rugby such as munster/leinster playing semi/finals in dublin, then the stadium definately wont be under used. on top of the then, we would have the international games and with us now fourth seeds, a few juicy games are guaranteed.

I know 50k seems small but it seems that they are restricted by the site they are on.
    I don't think they would be able to build bigger in that location, firstly because of the footprint and secondly because of the planning problem. the residents woul dnot allow anything bigger.

If we want 60K + then it's off the the countryside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

whiskeyman wrote:
    At least with Landsdowne, the site is there and they have a much better chance with PP.

I seen some residents on the news the other night saying that they are going to object to the PP, and it only takes one person to object to mess it up. Look at the Millenium Spike.

The residents are objecting to the loss of natural light even though the Architects have designed it to be only one tier on one of the terraces.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If we want 60K + then it's off the the countryside

Thats exactly what should have been done. The FAI should have their own stadium anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

They already have a loss of natural light, i doubt that they will have much of a further loss. They knew exactly what happens when you buy a house beside a stadium.

The FAI/IRFU should have bought the residences worst affected then they could have built a better stadium.

Advertisement