Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technothrillers & the WTC

Options
  • 16-09-2001 11:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

During the attack on the WTC, a scence from Tom Clancy's 'Debt of Honor' about the Jet colision in Washington sprang to mind.
    Is there any other novels of this genre which descibe anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

that was one of the first things i thought of when it happened.
    sky (afair) had an interview with him on the wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Don't know about this genre, but there was an article aaaaages ago (I'll try to find it) that drew out the rather uncanny paralells between Darkfuture/Cyberpunk roleplaying games and the events of the real world.

For example:

Twilight 2000 wrote about a re-unified Germany leading Europe in a "commercial and financial crusade against the one time global financial giants".... and now, not only do we have the Berlin wall gone but also a monetary union htat will result in the world's largest trading block.

Several sci-fi rpgs predicted teh collapse of the soviet union (they followed this up with nuclear war for the most part).

I can't remember all the examples but some of them are *very* specific and scarily close to what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mmmmm, look at alot of early sci-fi aswell. The parallels are uncanny, Orwellian future is here ppl, its just not as obvious as ppl would expect, any form of electronic data transfer that goes through the US, can be recorded etc.

They could be listening right now.... Hobbes don't open this thread!! :D

Advertisement