Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you eat?

Options
  • 18-10-2005 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Similar to the 'Where do you go' thread, whereabouts do you eat?

I tend to go to the Restaurant for a meal but I'm not too crazy on the food there to be honest. Also, why do you have to pay 20 cents for those little sauce packets? Someone should get Eddie Hobbs on the case.

I'm thinking I need to try out other places for meals. Does anyone eat in the Student Bar and if so, what's the food like? I wouldn't mind a pint with my food.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'd eat in the science canteen or the main restaurant, but recently I've just been bringing my own food in...UCD is too damn expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Also, why do you have to pay 20 cents for those little sauce packets?

I will put my hand up and admit that I did sneakily steal one of those last year! :D
    I'm thinking I need to try out other places for meals. Does anyone eat in the Student Bar and if so, what's the food like? I wouldn't mind a pint with my food.:D

I don't eat in the SU bar that much. IMO the food is generally what I'd call.... meh. I never go to the bar during lunchtime and from what other people tell me they have decent stuff there during that period on top of the chips and dodgy chicken nuggets etc.

Upstairs restaurant - too expensive and not particularly spectacular.
    Downstairs is my fave spot to eat - food is ok there and I just like it.
    Cafe Brava is generally sh!te and should carry a health warning. The chicken baguettes were nice last year but this season they've gone down the drain like the Irish football team. *Slash/ED kills Zane*
    I've never gone near that OTT expensive place called the Arts cafe or Hilpers or whatever the helll the kids call it these days.... so avoid
    The Grind does great sandwiches.... 3 euro a shot.... 3.50 for a baguette
    Don't really know about anywhere else.

Still though this college badly lacks a Burger King or a Subway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I too eat in the restaurant, like the student specials in the evenings and there’s nothing like a breakfast bap in the morning but I do hate paying 20 cent for one of those tiny sachets when sauce is free in the student bars. I’ve only ever gotten the sausage and chip there though they do serve more than that, it’s great when your drinking there but I don’t think I’d eat that every day!The grind in the student center is good for a roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

You can't beat Centra for a roll. The hot chicken baguettes they do there are tasty, and their breakfast rolls are pretty good too. Bit of a far walk though.

On the sitting for lunch side of things, the Student Centre does those special €4 Chicken/Chips/RegDrink boxes which are decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

The SU bar is the place to go. Nice warm filling food. I had homemade burger, pepper sauce, chips, baby new potatoes, veg for 495. Its the only place to get decent hot food, everywhere else is terrible. Sometime the SU bar has steak. The forum is crap, tasteless muck with lack of veg and spuds and stuff. Good thread! I love food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Upstairs restaurant - too expensive and not particularly spectacular.
    Downstairs is my fave spot to eat - food is ok there and I just like it.
    Cafe Brava is generally sh!te and should carry a health warning. The chicken baguettes were nice last year but this season they've gone down the drain like the Irish football team. *Slash/ED kills Zane*
    I've never gone near that OTT expensive place called the Arts cafe or Hilpers or whatever the helll the kids call it these days.... so avoid
    The Grind does great sandwiches.... 3 euro a shot.... 3.50 for a baguette
    Don't really know about anywhere else.

Wow you've eaten in way more places than me! I agree with you completely on the Arts cafe. €1.50 for a bottle of water? Disgraceful.:mad:

I think I'll try the Student Bar tomorrow. When's the best time to go and eat there? I don't want to be left standing around.:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

graffiti in the restaurant:

flush twice, it's a long way to the kitchen

says it all me thinks.

Best time to eat in the SU bar is around 530 in the evenin! No que!
    Maybe 2 otherwise, the que does move quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Cafe Brava is generally sh!te and should carry a health warning

Well put. Café Brava is sick. I was once stung in the eye by a jet of grease that shot out of a sausage when I bit into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Just hang around outside the arts cafe and smoke all day. CAnt afford to waste precious smoke money on mere food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Usually The Grind, or else soup at Insomnia in the Conway building. But I'm flat broke at the moment, so I'm bringing in my own food at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Downtstairs in Restaraunt for Chicken Goujons Bap (with the 2 sauces!)
    Cafe Brava for 1/4 Pounder with Cheese and chips.
    O'Briens for the best sandwiches IMHO (My fav: Relish, Chicken Mayo, Stuffing, Coleslaw and peppers)

Used to like Perk for the soups. Not as nice now that its Insomina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Breakfast in the restaurant.

Snacks in the arts cafe.

Sausage and chips or a sandwich in the student bar...

I can't decide if the student bar or the grind do better sandwiches, but they're both well better than the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

The Grind or O'Briens, chicken and bacon triple decker > *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Sandwich from eng block / other SU shop usually :rolleyes: Centra for Tayto roll if I'm feeling cheap / if I think of it. Snacks from vending machines. SU bar for cheap take-away chips if I'm hungry enough (strangely not so often these days :confused: ). Irn Bru from SU centre shop when I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Funky wrote:
    The Grind or O'Briens, chicken and bacon triple decker > *
    *struggles to cover erection*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

I usually go to the SU bar around 3 o clock, thats when you'll find most people not around, busy enough but I dont mind. Anywhere else can get very expensive for what you get or else is too popular for my likings. Im not much of an eater tho so it dosent bother me though I need to eat one substansial thing in the day then Im easy.

Right, today i had a beef borrito (spelling?) in SU bar with the usual chips, spuds, and veg. Was excellent again!

For a sambo try this combo in Obriens
    White bread, secret sauce dressing, chicken (not crappy mayonaise chicken), mixed leaves, sundried tomatoes, and bacon. savage. so tasty

I do also eat in cafe bravo a fair bit. Usual Quater Pounder w cheese and chips combo for 3.70, but it is very unhealthy. Thats why im tryin to get to the SU bar more ( even though thats not exactly healthy either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

PaulDoh wrote:
    You can't beat Centra for a roll. The hot chicken baguettes they do there are tasty, and their breakfast rolls are pretty good too. Bit of a far walk though.

On the sitting for lunch side of things, the Student Centre does those special €4 Chicken/Chips/RegDrink boxes which are decent.

Hmmm those breakfast rolls got me through some tough mornings...nothing beats a hangover combined with an evil tutorial presentation malarky combined with an essay that has to be done for that afternoon better then a breakfast roll...hmmm....sounds like wednesday morning actually..

Lunch depends on finances, and also on whether or not I bothered my arse to attempt to make something the night before-which lately hasn't been happening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I don't eat.

Seriously, that's not a "spam" response, ask anyone I know. I just don't eat on campus really.

Altho I did accept a gift of a chicken fajita thing from BFM's Deputy Manager yesterday... It tasted of cardboard, but it was ample sustenance... I generally get thru the day accepting cast-offs from such generous ppl.

Ah, the life of a UCD Bum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

SebtheBum wrote:
    I don't eat.

Seriously, that's not a "spam" response, ask anyone I know. I just don't eat on campus really.

Altho I did accept a gift of a chicken fajita thing from BFM's Deputy Manager yesterday... It tasted of cardboard, but it was ample sustenance... I generally get thru the day accepting cast-offs from such generous ppl.

Ah, the life of a UCD Bum.

You drank my coffee even after you saw me backwash some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Ah sure that just made the proposition more attractive, comrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

love those cookies in the big jars in the arts cafe-srumdidilydumpcious!Lived on texicano crisps in the student bar in 1st year-dont think they sell them anymore though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 craiglen

Personally i'd eat in O'Briens every single day if i had the money! those crambo clubs..... with the extra everything that i get....

Ah i eat everywhere except that arts cafe it should be arsoned! Sometimes you go in and u never know what you'll be eating that day (26 bananas last thursday)

craiglen wrote:
    Ah i eat everywhere except that arts cafe it should be arsoned! Sometimes you go in and u never know what you'll be eating that day (26 bananas last thursday)

How much are the bananas in the Arts cafe? I wouldn't be surprised if they were a euro each in that place...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

People who say the food in the restaraunt is expensive / crap are hopping on the bandwagon.

Unless this is your first time away from home you have no excuse. Its not as good as what "mammy" makes you but it is without doubt of the same standard I would expect in any pub or cavery in the UK or Ireland.

Sandwhich and Rolls
    The rolls in grind for 3.50 are spectacular, if you are hungry and take full advantage of whats on offer. You wont beat that value. (their sadwhiches are 3e tho so go to the bar for them).

The 2.80 sanwhiches in SU shop are poor quality.

The made to order ones in the bar for 2.70 are very good.

Never go to centre its a rip off (priced by weight)

I tend to avoid 911 too cos their sanwhiches are expensive but their rolls are only 360 or 370 i think. Never been to O briens.

Dont mention Perk or insomnia to me:eek:

Full Meal
    *Centre bar is poor quality due to low turnover.

*If you are cheap and dont care about substancec go to mick donalds or downstairs restaraunt. Chips and sausage int my idea of a meal.

*Upstairs in restaraunt is very good. 525 for proper meal (meat, 2 veg and chips or spuds), tho you'll get better value with chips than spuds.
    The student special (meal - often fry- + soup) 360.
    Power breakfast (4 items) for 295 is unparralled in value for money in dublin. It really is.

*I generally go to bar. Meat, one veg, chips AND spuds. Under a 5'er.

People who say the food in the restaraunt is expensive / crap are hopping on the bandwagon.

Yeah - Eddie Hobbs' bandwagon! They also charge you money for taking those little butter packets. Butter! Did we lose a war? (actually we never fight but still...)

I agree with you about the bar. They give you loads of food at a decent price.

Woot!

Advertisement