Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap VoIP->Mobile Calls?

• 18-10-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I'm using Blueface and Skype to make regular calls to the 087 network. Both have great rates for mobiles in various parts of the world but calling the Irish network is as expensive as ever.

At the moment mobile calls are the only option so my question is whether there is a cheaper way to make VoIP to 087 calls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 seamus.carey

Nope, unfortunately things are still as expensive as ever. There seems to be no cheap deal to Irish mobiles unless you can get a package that features unlimited calls and includes numbers like 1530 etc...then you could call telestunt with that and make the mobile part of the call with them.

There was a Russian VOIP service offering unlimited calls to landlines in Ireland and included 1890, 1550, 1530, 1580 etc. Can't remember the name for the life of me though.

Hope that helps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭BigMoose

It's because the mobile networks charge what they do for terminating calls. You wont find cheap calls to mobiles until this changes - if it ever does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Mossy

Here's news on terminating call charge reductions, from enn.ie last week -
    Calls made to mobile phones could soon become cheaper, thanks to a move to cut mobile termination charges by ComReg.

The communications regulator issued a direction on Thursday, imposing regulatory obligations on Vodafone, O2 and Meteor, as part of its overall market review of the mobile telecoms sector.

story link

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure they'll fight these changes tooth & nail, after all it'll lose them a good few euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

T.S.
    I wont shed any tears for O2 or Vodafone, those b******* rip people off every day.

Vodafone are the worst of the lot, then O2 then meteor. I dont know about three yet but I suspect that they will charge more or less the same as the others for call terminations.

Anyway speaking of mobile termination costs, when will ComWrek do something about vodafones and O2's outrageous call charges, especialy when roaming.

For me to phone a vodafone number from an O2 phone costs 63c/min and it is more or less the same for vodafone calling an o2 number (both before 6pm)
    On three I can phone the UK, both landlines and mobiles for 49c. That is a rather large difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Nope, unfortunately things are still as expensive as ever. There seems to be no cheap deal to Irish mobiles unless you can get a package that features unlimited calls and includes numbers like 1530 etc...then you could call telestunt with that and make the mobile part of the call with them.

There was a Russian VOIP service offering unlimited calls to landlines in Ireland and included 1890, 1550, 1530, 1580 etc. Can't remember the name for the life of me though.

Hope that helps ;)

Anybody knows the name of this Russian service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Advertisement