Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building website

Options
  • 19-10-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...But I just have some really basic questions.

I'm planning on building an as professional looking website as possible, as easily as possible, and as cheaply as possible.

I was planning on using Alex King wordpress, but i'm told that cannot be used on windows XP for some reason.

So what alternatives/simular programmes are there that I can get for free? Anything as good and simple as that?

Basicly any web publishing system with that quality tamplates for free.

Also, typically, how much would it cost to get a website built? No major programming or anything complicated, just basic programming, and an average enough content.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Heya,

You could always get macromedia dreamweaver trial for 30days.
    That would be a nice free way to do it.
    The cost of a website.... How long is a piece of string?
    You could get somebody to do it for €150 up to €1500 and more.
    From the little detail I'd give a ballpark figure of €4/500.

If you need one done or have any questions you can pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ What kjt said is pretty much spot on.

For a basic website, your biggest cost will usually be design. Some companies provide website templates that you can use, charging a few hundred euro for one. Most design companies will also do one-off design for you, but at a premium. You could probably get a one-off design for €500 or even less, but don't expect anything fantastic. For a more professionallay designed site, the sky's the limit, but don't be surprised if you're quoted upwards of €2k for design only.

If you go with someone else, be wary of any company who quotes you something that looks like an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

DubGuy wrote:
    I was planning on using Alex King wordpress, but i'm told that cannot be used on windows XP for some reason.

You can use WordPress on XP as long as you have PHP/MySQL and Apache installed.

Where will you be hosting the website? is it just to be a blog or something more?

Wordpress is probably only going to any good to you for a blog.

Advertisement