Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegiterian restaurants

Options
  • 19-10-2005 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

I'm new to Galway and was wondering where's good for getting vegiterian meals (evening and lunch) I've been to a few different pubs for lunch but all there's been was either a sandwich or single meat free dish, not ideal! (I'm also kind of on a budget but enjoy splashing out on a nice meal every now and then!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

there's a place on the newcastle road ... just opposite the AIB ... I think ?? ... can't remember the name .. golden goat or something ... gabhar orga ??

something like that at any rate .. :)

Can't go wrong with a Bombay Palace lunchtime special .. buffet meal ... all you can eat ... or so the story goes .. for a tenner ?? someone can correct me if thats wrong ... still a great deal .. they have rice ... vegi rice :P ... but also 2 vegi dishes ... usually 2 lamb ... 2 chicken ... I think ... if you like indian and its in your budget ... its great .. just don't eat breakfast that day and you'll be allright :)

to be honest no other place really springs to mind for a vegi option ... most are mediocre at best ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

just remembered ... couch potatoes as well do some nice veggie options ... haven't been there in a few years though and its usually fairly packed...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Toy wrote:
    I'm new to Galway and was wondering where's good for getting vegiterian meals (evening and lunch) I've been to a few different pubs for lunch but all there's been was either a sandwich or single meat free dish, not ideal! (I'm also kind of on a budget but enjoy splashing out on a nice meal every now and then!)

If you want to splash out - River God or Ard Bia - both on Quay St, they usually have a few veggie options. Lunch options - La Salsa (2 branches) do great value veggie burritos and tacos. Delight (near the Mary St branch of La Salsa) do a good range of sandwiches, haven't tried any of their vegetarian ones myself but they do a good range of 'exotic' cheese, veg, etc combinations - nice change from the usual hang sangwidge. And as others have mentioned - Indian places generally have a good range of vegetarian dishes - Tulsi near the Augustinian church is really good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

bananaphoblacht on dominic street do a big bowl of vegetarian soup for 3.95 with brown bread, different ingredients are used every day but it's always excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Toy wrote:
    Food for Thought or Spud House. Toy, vegetarian, not vegiterian.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2782730-atm-Vegetarian-galway_restaurants-i

and;
    Food For Thought, 3 Lower Abbeygate Street, Galway. Phone: (091)65854

oh and there is a vegetarian food stall when the mart is on,sundays isn't it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I thoroughly recommend the soup in Banana Phoblacht. It's always great and they come up with some very unusual but tasty recipes.

Also - The Home Plate on Mary St. do great sandwiches and omelettes and a veggie breakfast (best breakfast in town some would say).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Toy

Thanks guys, great suggestions, I tried Couch Potatoes yesterday and it's nice to see an effort being made, it'll be Banana Phoblacht next I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

oh and there is a vegetarian food stall when the mart is on,sundays isn't it??
    Saturday and sunday.Toy, try the matar paneer* from govinda's stall, it's my favoutrite but he usually runs out around lunchtime, if so just get the kitchiri which is also good and a samosa if you're really hungry. On sunday's he only sells kitchiri and samosas but you might want to try the falafel-in-a-pita-bread stall, you can put whatever amount of chillies, nuts tahini etc into what is essentially a massive vegetarian kebab.

*the matar paneer is a tomato and vegetable stew with fried chunks of cottage cheese and the kitchiri is a cheaper spicy vegetarian stew with chunks of potato. the matar paneer is €4.50 and the kitchiri costs €4.00

Advertisement