Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Final Fantasy of them all????

Options
  • 19-10-2005 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Im new to the whole final fantasy thing and was just wondering what would the best game to go for??

Im only started into it, only after a friend kept on pestering for me to go get it. Im 19hours in to Final Fantasy X, seems like a good game, but its gona take twice that to even get used to all these feckin abilities. Only just got Rikku and shes after wreckin the whole honeymoon thing now cause i have to actually customise my weapons if i wana kill anybody. So many weapons and abilities, and then only a certain weapon works with a certain enemy:mad: :mad: :mad:

Any tips for a newb like myself:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What is the best Final Fantasy Game?? 180 votes

Final Fantasy I or II
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fantasy III or IV
    0% 0 votes
    Final Fantasy V
    1% 3 votes
    Final Fantasy VI
    0% 1 vote
    Final Fantasy VII
    6% 11 votes
    Final Fantasy VIII
    69% 125 votes
    Final Fantasy IX
    8% 16 votes
    Final Fantasy X
    5% 10 votes
    Final Fantasy XI
    7% 13 votes
    Final Fantasy XII or X-2 whatever its called!
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

FFVIII is the best FF game ever! The music, Squall, the summons, Squall, the story, Squall!
    :D
    Just remember, FFX-2 and FFXII are two different games. FFX-2 is the sequel to FFX, same characters and world you see. FFXII is a completely new game that isn't out yet, try not to mix 'em up again 'kay? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVII for me but FFtactics (not GBA tactics) FFX and FFVI not too far behind.

Always thought FFVIII was one of the weakest. Music (okay it was great), Squall (I'm supposed to be moody but really am just an ignorant hateful twat), Summons (take too long and are useless compared to a fully junctioned characters normal attack), the story (what story? Oh we forgot we knew each other, end bad guy that appears from nowhere with no reference made to it through the whole game, even more annoying characters and other such ballox). Also a needlessly complicated junction and upgrade system.

Sorry to take your post appart but I really have something against that game. It is just spectacle over substance and made to appease a western audience after the success of FFVII by dumbing it down it the process. That said I did enjoy the game but it wasn't up to the high standards of other RPGs on the PS1.

:(
    I've been cut down to size by yet another who considers VIII to be inferior, but I'll still give my two cents! :mad:

The junction draw system works very well if you understand it, the more often you use the summons the faster and stronger they become, if you don't use them they become slow and weak. The last boss, Ultimecia was first mentioned in disk two and her name popped up on a regular basis from that point,just cuz you don't see her don't mean see ain't there. :cool: I'll let you keep your opinions 'bout Squall. :rolleyes:

One last thing, aren't FFIII and FFVI the same game? I heard that because FFIII was not given a proper release FFVI was made to make up for it. I did see some screenshots of FFIII and they looked very similar to FFVI. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVI was called FFIII in America because it was the 3rd FF game to be released in america. FF1 was released in America but they missed out on 2 and 3. FFiV was then released in America as FF2, FFV was skipped and FFVI was released as FFVI. The silly naming scheme was then abandoned and the next game FFVII was called FFVII in the west. Us poor PAL territory people only got FFVII as our first FF game. The remake game for the DS is FFIII, the japanese FFIII that is. It's a fantastic game and new 3D engine can only make it better.

As for FFVIII. Each to their own. If you enjoyed it then I can't change that. I did enjoy it myself but it just seemed far too commercial to me. The love story was so soppy that it just seemed like a way of manipulating the huge female fanbase that FF has, especially in japan, since Titanic was only recently released when the game was in production. The PS1 had so many quality RPGs and FFVIII was nowhere near that quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

7 reminds me of a wonderful time of my life, so thats why i chose it.
    isnt it mad when (if) your talkin to your mates or somebady who likes final fantasy, you dont even have to mention final fantasy, just a number! eg. i said to my friend yesterday ' aw man 12 is out soon!' :p

just a wierd thing that popped into my head.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

Ahhh, such a sweet wave of Nausea, I mean Nostalgia!!:o eheh
    Personally, i love them all Yay!! It's nice to have something in my life that I can adore without the need for logical reason or my natural pessimistic cynicism ripping it apart:D FFVIII is one of my favourites [Yay! Squall:) ] But Yeah, I can see how the junctioning system might throw some people but I never had a problem with it. Onc eyou get used to it, i think it's simple enough and no worse than the sphere grid [:eek:oooooooooo, controversy]

But Be honest, how can it follow up FFVII, I don't think it'd fair:( . FFVII was so brillant it's just going to overshadow anything that comes along. Saying that, I think they should go backl to that style for the new games, The caribbean motif is pretty and all but it's just not the same [or as cool:cool: ]

Did you know that there's an audiodrama[fans], FFVIII; Shattered (It's in English) It's a sequel where Rinoa has done something unforgivable and rushed off and broken Squalls heart to boot:( . But I don't know what it was:o I only heard the first chapter [found it on the net:p ] Still, The Voice actors gave it their all and they all had a sexy throaty thing going on:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ive always Debated between 7 and 8:eek:
    7 was soo good,and the story was absolutely amazing:rolleyes: :) , thats why im getting a friend to send me a copy from northern ireland to play on my PC,cant find my playstation :) :eek:
    The characters were brillaint and had real depth, especially Sephiroth, i loved everything about him and still rate him as the best baddy ever
    And what about the side quests ??Breeding Chocobos,the Weapons,KOTR.
    Fantastic!!!:) :D

The world of 8 was brilliant, and i loved Triple Triads. The graphics took a major leap aswell along with the whole junction system which i reckon is probably the best of all the FF's, though it would be quite hard to use at the start.:eek: ,but once you gopt used to it it was excellent. I also loved the story in this and the characters, but was a bit dissapointed and bored in some places, especially with Laguna's history.

Go FF7 i say :D
    And the films!!! Brilliant, Last Order and Advent Children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Well I will define the very parameters of originality when I say my favourite is VII. However, I stand ready to be convinced that VI is the "best" I really enjoyed it the last time I played it. Great stuff altogether.

To get another dig in at VIII, the junction system was terrible because it was overly effective. A rudimentary understanding of its basic principles allowed you to go through the game with little difficulty. If you had a good understanding of things, the game was a joke and you were pretty much untouchable.

In conclusion VII FTW but that stands open to correction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

FFIX for me,love the characters in that game more than those of VII,it's closest rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

I liked FFIX but I thought the game was a little too easy compared to the others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

7 ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

Squall! Whaat.. he was such a shallow character... (...) (.........)

Anyway, the best FF is your first FF - it often seems to be the way for people and is certainly true of me.

spritey wrote:
    the best FF is your first FF -

Truer words were never spoken :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I disagree,I must say I enjoyed the others after FFI more than it.

Well I played VII first and as it stands its still my favourite. If I'd played VIII first I certainly wouldn't have thought it the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

FFVII > all others

But... VIII has class music , but draw system annoys me

X is pure class, i'd rate it barely under VII but not by much [ damn still havent had time to kill Penance ] :(

oh, i've actually managed to play X-2 for 143 hours now, in Bevelle Underground on cloister 51/100... i got cat nip yay :D , on a downer, next boss has over 300k hp :(

Oh, and for the thread starter, the best tip i can give you is take it all in your stride. Enjoy the game, the storyline, the music and getting used to it as FFX is really really good... damn i wanna spam my favourite scene in that game but i can't coz i'd ruin it for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

My first FF was Final Fantasy IX, But I have to say, it seemed overly simple to play compared to FFVIII or even FFVII. At least with the GF or materia systems you got the impression that the game was somewhat customisable to your playing style. Also, after the pretty graphics in IX, I found it difficult enough to get into FFVII. I finally got an emulator for the PS1 and I'm playing through it now on my PC with slightly improved graphics.
    Apparently, scenes from FFVII were shown in a tech demo of the PS3 and the makers said they'd go back and remake the game if the opportunity arose. I'd definitely buy that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

Maybe the 'first FF' theory only stands up for the more recent ones then :)

I'm sooo tempted to play FFVII again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

FFVII has got to be the best. I really wasn't a fan of eight, I didn't like what they tried to do with the change in graphics, and Squall (I felt) was just a failed attempt at Cloud. Also the whole orphanage coninkidink was a bit far fetched. Nine was fun, but again Zadine was a bit of a weirdo, too optomistic and lovey dovey... and then ten's not bad, but Titus is sooooo thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Sans doubt, VII - the best characters, story and final battles (Jenova and Sephiroth). I'd love it if it was 're-released' with the superior graphics of FFX or FFX-2 - although it could be seen as tampering with a classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

spritey wrote:
    Squall! Whaat.. he was such a shallow character... (...) (.........)

Anyway, the best FF is your first FF - it often seems to be the way for people and is certainly true of me.
    I would vote X for no other reason that....

But VII was fantastic too. Go Aeris!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The spirits within.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Was the result of this poll ever going to be anything other than Final Fantasy VII? :rolleyes:

Laguna wrote:
    Was the result of this poll ever going to be anything other than Final Fantasy VII? :rolleyes:

No. Not even a little.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

The spirits within.....
    seconded :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cork Rolla =)

I think that about your first one being your fav is true. I have the fondest memories of FFIX:) . I've only played from 6 to 10-2 (not played 11 tho). I'm playing 7 atm. It's really excellent. I only really got into 9 and 7. 8 was pretty good if I recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 noangel

The first Final Fantasy game I played was X. Thought it was brilliant and was instantly hooked. However have managed to get my hands on XII and am half way through it, not sure if X is my favorite anymore.
    The storyline is so complex and detailed its making me kinda confused.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

noangel wrote:
    However have managed to get my hands on XII

how the hell did you do that? unless you mean X-2, but since you say its good, it cant be.

XII isnt even out in japan yet....is it?

Kiith wrote:
    how the hell did you do that? unless you mean X-2, but since you say its good, it cant be.

XII isnt even out in japan yet....is it?

It's not no.

Unless something odd has happened over the last few weeks or I've just lost track of time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

VII..... that is all:D .

Advertisement