Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Final Fantasy of them all????

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noangel wrote:
    The first Final Fantasy game I played was X. Thought it was brilliant and was instantly hooked. However have managed to get my hands on XII and am half way through it, not sure if X is my favorite anymore.
    The storyline is so complex and detailed its making me kinda confused.

The bit in bold means that it can't be FFX-2 he is talking about :D

FFXII is a good bit away from a release in even Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I think that VII, VIII and X are all wonderful games. I don't know why, but I've always had a soft-spot for VIII.... Some of it is rather asinine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

FFVII like most here. From stepping off the train with Avalanche to the death of Sephiroth, playing every bit of this game was a pleasure and was a personal achievement in my books. Go FFVII!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lionheart84

Seven has to be the greatest of the final fantasy gaming for one simple reason gameplay it gave you a game that looked great, took time and a lot of my childhood too, eight is good along with ten but i wanna see more like seven, in the future when my hands have artheritis i`ll always have ff7 to thank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Anyone that says anything other than final fantasy 7 has never played it and i would certainly reccomend it too the (no points for guessing what i voted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Psycopat wrote:
    Anyone that says anything other than final fantasy 7 has never played it
    Well, i wouldn't be too sure about that. In my experience, it's generally whichever FF you played first is the one which remains your favourite.

SofaKing wrote:
    Well, i wouldn't be too sure about that. In my experience, it's generally whichever FF you played first is the one which remains your favourite.

Can anyone back that up? I'd be interested to see if it was true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Psycopat wrote:
    Can anyone back that up? I'd be interested to see if it was true

Coincidence maybe. Seems like most people played FFVII as their first FF experience and seeing as its widely considered the best maybe thats where all comes from.

I think it would be alot different if VIII was everyones first or V perhaps.

I've never player V any idea where i can get it and on what console? maybe an emulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

FF7 appears to definately be the favourite of the nation, understandably enough.
    Why is X-2 even getting votes!? That was rubbish!!

Hold on, it's not actually gotten any votes at all, all I saw there was the little bar on the graph...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Spongey

SofaKing wrote:

Yes i think this is true, its only natural.
    Is VII loved as much in japan for example where they had already been playing rpgs long before it came out?

I think its the best anyway, X-2 was sickening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 miss_cheif

The first game I played was X and since I've been playing back through them. It took me ages to find VII, which is no surprise because it's brilliant. Haven't finished it though I'm somewhere at the end of disc two and I've spent ages playing it. At the moment X is my favorite but it's beginning to sway more towards VII.
    Don't like to think that X-2 has connections to X, since its pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Deoxys

VII without a doubt its my all time favourite game nevermind final fantasy! Its just the ultimate FF for character storyline music and battle set up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I really liked FF IV, picked it up for the gameboy when I didnt have any other console relied so much on gameplay as it didnt have to go for fancy graphics.

That said VII and X were fantastic too.

bohsman wrote:
    I really liked FF IV, picked it up for the gameboy when I didnt have any other console relied so much on gameplay as it didnt have to go for fancy graphics.

That said VII and X were fantastic too.

IV is definitely on my list for another play over the holidays if I get the time. The storyline is fairly intriguing and Cecil is a fairly cool main guy. Plus the class structure is fairly well balanced for most of the game and it's very interesting to play with 5 characters at once.

Things I didn't like was the fact that, unless I missed something, the main boss seemed to come out of nowhere like IX and to a lesser extent VIII. And there was a shocking amount of random battles if I recall correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't find the random battles in ffIV too bad. The end boss did come out of nowhere but at least it wasn't handled anywhere near as badly as in FFVIII and FFIX. I wouldn't mind playing the new translation for the gba and ds game. supposedly it sheds a bit more light on the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

When i first played FFVII at the tender age of 14 all those years ago i was amazed at what i had discovered. Truly, this game is still better then most today, if not for anything else then for the truly magnificent storyline that it presents u with. avalanche, solder, shinra and midgar all represent political struggles of our times and this game was ahead of itself in its education through serious entertainment.

for me, ffvii will always be my favorite game, as i cant see anything ever topping the sheer scale it did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I've only played 7,8 an 9. VII is the best. It topped gameFAQS top 100 games ever. http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/top10_100.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omeallage

FF VII without a doubt. i played d originals on emulators.. VIII was just too easy. just set squall up wit 99 X-Potions nd auto potion. den use d aura things 4 d limit abilities... too easy got bored but finished it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omeallage

Psycopat wrote:
    I've never player V any idea where i can get it and on what console? maybe an emulator?

yes u can get dem on emulators.. i av dem all. run a google search for roms nd you'll come up with somethin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Just be careful since any translation is a fansub and some of them make no sense at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Whats this with everyone thinking 8, or 6 is the best. OMFG! Seven: awesome storyline, great music and SEPHIROTH! What more could you want?

8 is good, nice music etc, but whats the deal with the story lol. Its okay, but not apocalyptic and hugely immersive as 7. Liked the parts you played as Laguna though, it was a welcomed break from the same battle music played 500 times before.

6 was the best on the SNES, I admit. But does not compair with 7, not friggen way.

And anywayz when I last checked, the poll was at 74% for 7. The people have spoken.

Edit: Mentioning rom sites and getting in a free plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 times2

Number seven man!!!music,scenery,plot,characters,dialouge,sephorith!!!,dressing cloud up as a laydeee,ifrit and so....so...so many more reasons why it constitutes as the best one.As sad as this sounds FFVII has giving me more nostalgic,emotional memories than any book,movie,play,person or drug!!!(Ok, i really should get out more!!!!)But seriously, you people out there who have been affected by this beautiful, fantastic game feel that same great feeling i feel whenever i think about or play it and for me you can't beat that with a stick!!!!!Roll on,Advent children!!!!!!!!!!!!:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Has to be VII, i can still remember getting it and getting a dodgy vib from it. something i'd never heard of. six months later, i was helping run a .com fan forum for Final Fantasy in all it's glory. I've played all of them after discovering emulators and roms and while i acknowledge the fantastic games that cropped up in the series, i'm going to have to agree with the idea that your first Final Fantasy is always going to be your favourite. even the thoughts of playing VII brings a nostalgic smile to my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 zombie_jesus

every1 played XII first, i no i did. its no wonder either its by far the best out of the genre.....XIII is a very close 2nd but i'l never luv any game like i loved 7, any who dosent agree with me is not a true fan of the series

Right, I've though about if for a few months and I have decided that VI is my favourite and I have voted accordingly.

A long winded reason will be posted later at my own convienance when my mother isn't yelling at me for dinner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Mr_Overlord

FF7 can be played over and over again and still be enjoyable....

I found all the others to be one timers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I said FFVIII because I remember I got it for Christmas the year it came out and the CG scenes completely blew me away and I really got into the storyline and the way the characters developed and the plot twists. Also, it was such a long game and despite that, by the end I wanted it to continue. So when I had finished it rather than feeling a sense of accomplishment I normally did upon beating a game, I felt kind of like 'ah **** the games finished :('. Oh yeah the ending was great aswel. I didnt actually even want it at the time because Id tried FFVII before and I wasnt too impressed with it (moreso because I wasnt a big fan of RPG's), but it was given as a gift because someone recalled I had FFVII and figured Id like FFVIII :rolleyes: I immediately bought FFIX when it came out because I had such a great time on FFVIII, but like FFVII, I just didnt really get into FFIX. So VIII was my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Viewtiful Joe

Has to be ff8 just for the ending alone:cool:

Had a tear in the eye watching it:(

FF7 is close but for me it will always be ff8 if ye can find it buy it:)

• Advertisement

The ending looked pretty but was absolute pure unadulterated processed cheddar. Was laughing at it the whole way through. Cringeworthy stuff indeed.

Advertisement