Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Final Fantasy of them all????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Viewtiful Joe

There's been worse retro think ff10:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFX I thought had a fantastic ending and it was very clever with what it did. It has to be commended for being so ruthless unlike the sugar coated, everything is fine now, FFVIII ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

X got confusing at times but is the dogs bollix as far as I'm concerned.

On the subject of endings now, what the hell was the ending of VII about.

I felt it was rather inconclusive. Some people may call it deep and makes you use your imagination and all that but I'm more tempted to call it laziness on the writers part.

VI for example had a very nice ending indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well square were running out of money, a deadline had been passed multiple times and a 3rd disc was added at the last moment. Smells like rush job. Still I like the FFVII ending. It got you thinking. It's a better ending than that muck called Advent Children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've played VII, IX, X, and X-2 inside out and adored them all. VII was my first and to me the most beautiful game I ever played, best storyline, gameplay and music. FFX is a close 2nd, fabulous story and the graphics were out of this world! :)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well square were running out of money, a deadline had been passed multiple times and a 3rd disc was added at the last moment. Smells like rush job. Still I like the FFVII ending. It got you thinking. It's a better ending than that muck called Advent Children.

I suppose thats true actually, there was quite a few things that were left out and possibly a few threads that really should have been tied up.

The writers all throughout the game made a point of spelling things out for you very carefully and then an ending like that was thrown in. There was no resolution for the characers for example.

You're worse than my mother who only likes endings in films were it spells out, Henry became president of america and freed the world from starvation. Play the Suikoden games. It spells out exactly what happens to all 108 characters at the end :D

I actually think the ambiguous ending of FFVII is due to dodgy translation more than anything. Remember the game was made at the time andthe cutscenes were also made before the game got finished. The last weeks of developement were trying to fit it all on 2 discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Retr0gamer wrote:
    FFX I thought had a fantastic ending and it was very clever with what it did. It has to be commended for being so ruthless unlike the sugar coated, everything is fine now, FFVIII ending.

Same here, from the looks of it the ending to FFX looks brilliant. But I still liked VIII's ending most of all. One of the characters I liked the most from the game was Laguna,
    and I thought the ending with him and Raine was 'nice', for example.

Flex wrote:
    Same here, from the looks of it the ending to FFX looks brilliant. But I still liked VIII's ending most of all. One of the characters I liked the most from the game was Laguna,
    and I thought the ending with him and Raine was 'nice', for example.

I suppose it's the type of ending you like. I prefer my endings to not be wrapped up so nicely. FFVIII's ending reminded me of the end of war of the worlds when
    the son just happens to be alive and they all live happily ever after

It's probably why Panzer Dragoon Saga, Suikoden 2 and FFVII are in my favourite games top 10 and FFVIII isn't. Panzer Dragoon Saga had a nasty ending and even when orta finally wrapped it up it wasn't a nice ending at all. Suikoden 2 had a very distressing ending but I suppose if you had been playing a game were the stories main theme was how a war was tearing a group of friends apart then it wasn't ever going to end nicely. And we all know that what happens in FFVII can't be changed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 President Rufus

Definately 7. what can I say, umm it moved me. No video game before done that to me and still hasn't since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

FFVIII is the best FF game ever! The music, Squall, the summons, Squall, the story, Squall!
    :D
    Just remember, FFX-2 and FFXII are two different games. FFX-2 is the sequel to FFX, same characters and world you see. FFXII is a completely new game that isn't out yet, try not to mix 'em up again 'kay? :)
    Problems with ff8:

Characters:Zell is the most annoying loudmouth gimp I've ever come across (I know that's supposed to be his angle, but god damn!).Squall is Cloud with less depth (Moody and aloof hero wholoses girl vs, moody and aloof hero who gets girl).

Character building system:It's very customisable which I like but in every battle you end up having to do the summon GF thing dozens of times which gets really boring after a while.

Soppy plot:*vomits just thinking about "eyes on me".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

X for me... it's the only FF game I own. I'm only really starting to get into it, and it's just so good... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

FFVII the best by miles, although I did like FFX felt like they were getting back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

everybody knows ff6 is the best such a brilliant game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

sAid wrote:
    everybody knows ff6 is the best such a brilliant game

No, we know it's the best, whereas most others do not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭saado

Oh ho, it's time to get on the unpopular opinion train:
    FFVII is overrated and FFVIII doesn't get nearly enough love.
    People always complain about the plot point involving the orphanage, but if you don't get it you're not paying attention, it's mentioned at a number of points that GF usage causes memory loss, which is a little spurious, but you forget that one of the biggest themes of the game is fate, it's mentioned at numerous points that the PCs are the "SeeDs fated to defeat Ultimecia" even at the end of disc one, Edea being controlled by ultimecia calls Squall the SeeD who will defeat her, and Squall isn't even a SeeD at this point.
    Taken on it's own the orphanage scene is a little poor, but with various other things mentioned it makes perfect sense, Cid would have deliberately chosen Squall, Zell and Quistis from Balamb, Irvine from Galbadia as the one to be a sniper for the team, and Selphie is transferred just at the start of the game, so it was all very deliberate on the headmaster's part. Rinoa obviously comes into it because she is the one fated to inherit the sorceresses powers, and Ellone obviously for her ability to send people's minds to the past (not a huge character, but she's very important to Ultimecia's plan)

I'll have more to add later but i'm at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

hmmmmm think i might try and get my hands on a copy of FFVII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I hate jumping on the bandwaggon- but VII.
    Has the best cast of characters, fabulous plot, great setting.
    What pisses me off about it though is how Square-Enix have just realised how ****ing fabulous it is, and decides to milk it for all it's worth with Dirge of Cerberus yada yada yada.
    Advent Children was brilliant, don't get me wrong, but they should have left it at that, huh?

Liked VIII, but couldn't really get into it.

Loved X. Really did. Tidus was a bit of a head-wrecker though.

X-2 was utter ****.

So was VI.
    (Although I never gave it a proper chance...)

Playing through XII right now. I still can't decided if I like it or not.

X-2 was utter ****.

So was VI.
    (Although I never gave it a proper chance...)

Wow there! FFVI utter ****? I definitely think you didn't give it a proper chance. For me it's by far the best FF game made. I fail to see how anybody could hate it when there are far more hateful games in the series other than this wonderful, wonderful slice of RPG goodness.

Advent Children was brilliant, don't get me wrong, but they should have left it at that, huh?

There was precisely zero reason for AC to exist in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

maybe but its still enjoyable......was a bit unneccessary but it let you see a cloud sephiroth fight with fantastic graphics and Vincent only became cooler after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Wow there! FFVI utter ****? I definitely think you didn't give it a proper chance. For me it's by far the best FF game made. I fail to see how anybody could hate it when there are far more hateful games in the series other than this wonderful, wonderful slice of RPG goodness.

Much agreed, mainly amazing however, due to the greatest bad guy in videogaming history, the glorious Kefka.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Floydaholic

Final Fantasy VII is definately the best out of all of them. The plot, characters, everything to do with the game is just great. I'd give it 10/10. And then Final Fantasy X comes in with a close 2nd. It's a huge game, with great characters, and a great plot too. There's tons of gameplay in it. I'd also give that one 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shakeane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

FFVII top of the pile. Fantastic.

After that FFX, then FFIX, then FFVIII. Haven't played any others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

still haven't played seven much, played the rest, IX was best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Haven't seen much of XII, but it looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

still haven't played seven much, played the rest, IX was best.

Get out there and start playing FF7!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have played the first few minutes!
    Well, ok, maybe I should play it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SuZyQ!

my first ff was ff8 and it is what got me into the series i have heard ff7 is the best but ive never plyed it (any1 no where i can get a copy?) but FF10 is my favourite i am currently playing ff12 it is brill but havent finished it yet so i am holding judgment till then:p

Advertisement