Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resignations all round?! o_O

Options
  • 19-10-2005 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Looking like Rove and Libby are for the chopping block, but there are rumours going around that Cheney may be hit too.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/356858p-304125c.html

I have also seen rumours that Cheney may resign before all this, although thats all they are at this moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

To add to this.. it appears that Bush may of known about the leak around the time it happened (before is speculation).

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/357107p-304312c.html

This does not bode well for Bush either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Has Judith Miller been booted out of the NY times yet. she spen eighty plus days in jail protecting a source, only to forget who it was when it came to testify about the case.

One other thing you might want to consider here is that, while the President of the US cannot be indidted while in office, thanks to laws brought in by the Republicans during the Paula Jones affair with clinton, the president can be sued. I wonder will Valerie Plame's husband sue either the president or the vice president after all of this.

This whole "plamegate" business is becoming very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

There's alot of speculation goin on this one at the moment. Thing is tho that the prosecutor has left it till next week to make his intentions known.

One rumour states that he dosnt intend to file a report, and by the procedures of the investigation this means either indictments or an extension to the investigation.

However....
    So many people have vested their opinion's in this, Id tend to be very critical of the reports surfacing and the opinion's going. No doubt the weekend is gonna be a flurry of editorials and opinion pieces on whats gonna happen. However by all accounts Fitzgerald is tight-lipped and although Id love to think we got indictments coming, that by no means is guaranteed.

It is exciting tho, the anticipations been building over a year now.
    That's about the only thing everyone seems to agree on :D

[edit]Billy, no news of miller getting kicked yet, but the journalistic profession is starting to turn on her after the ny times running two storys one theirs, the other hers last weekend.
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/10/17/some_in_journalism_turn_on_miller_times/

Some question's are being asked as to the ny times editors as well.

Has Judith Miller been booted out of the NY times yet. she spen eighty plus days in jail protecting a source, only to forget who it was when it came to testify about the case.

As far as I understand it she was protecting herself rather then her source. A story bouncing around the blogosphere (look I made a word :D) was that she would not testify unless it was only about the plame case. Appears she was given information of an up coming raid on an Web Site over AQ connections and she rang the web site owners to get their opinion on the raid before it happened.
    the president can be sued.

Pretty sure he can be impeached. It is looking like Bush may of lied (who would of thought it) about knowledge of the plame case.

I'm wondering if we won't see some kind of wag the dog in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

Hobbes wrote:
    As far as I understand it she was protecting herself rather then her source. A story bouncing around the blogosphere (look I made a word :D) was that she would not testify unless it was only about the plame case. Appears she was given information of an up coming raid on an Web Site over AQ connections and she rang the web site owners to get their opinion on the raid before it happened.

It still doesn't explain how scooter gave her a wavier to reveal him as her source several months before she went to jail. It kinda has a Paul Burrell feel to it all.
    Pretty sure he can be impeached. It is looking like Bush may of lied (who would of thought it) about knowledge of the plame case.

Oh hell yes, it's the closest political scandal to merit the addition of "gate" as a description (sod whitewatergate et all) what has occured since the daddy watergate. In that case a President used covert operatives to subvert the democratic process, in this case the white abused it's covert operatives to further a political agenda
    I'm wondering if we won't see some kind of wag the dog in the next week or so.

Well judging on how poor Bush was working off a script last week, having his troops chinwag, we can only wonder how they could try and pull something like that off . Hell Jessica Simpson has competition for world's worst "actor" (the inverted commas are a legal requirement when using the words, Simpson, Jessica, and actor in the same clause) Unless, *snap* they hire someone to play the President. Hmmm who though.....Oh someone with gravtias. Hey a brit! Ian Mc Kellen! He was great in Lord of the rings! And they make everything sound classy!

But seriously folks, the above incident just shows how bad the Whitehouse is at stagemanagement at the moment, combined with a presscorp who've decorked their fangs, and are at their most cynical and suspicious, I think any wag the dog story is at the moment going to require some really slick idea to get it past some of them at the moment.

• Advertisement

First to address the impeachment idea, This might prove difficult if the republican party are in control of congress. Ideally it would be a better idea for the Democrats to wait until the "Fighting Dems" (Iraq War veterans now planning on running for congress as democrats) to get into congress. Then, with a majority, they could hand down articles of impeachment.

I still reckon that Wilson will sue either Bush or Cheney, especially if Cheney is not endidted next week by Fitzgerald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

I don't think Karl Rove is going to go unfortunately. He's the man behind the ape. He'll always be there whether officially or unofficially.

well it looks like fitzgerald is in it for the long haul, he has just launched a website

Add to that, blogosphere reporting that at least one CIA agent has been executed based on the plamegate intel.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/22/143214/56

If this is true then Rove could be looking at the death penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Fitzgerald met with the jury this morning and is meant to have asked them for inditments. Looks like we're gonna have to wait another day or two, but it seems that libby and rove might be up for the chopping block.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Prosecutor_in_leak_case_seeks_indictments_1026.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

This is such a huge story and its hardly getting a mention from what I can see.
    Sounds like it'll kick off tomorrow.

Advertisement