Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Here goes AGAIN, Megane Problem.

Options
  • 19-10-2005 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hey guy's. well its been around 2 months now if even, and this time its a serious problem. Mabe I shuld of listened to people's advice about renault's.

Well, 1st thing friday morning my mom noticed The Air Bag LED Warning Light was on in the dash.. Then when i went out to car to check it, i notied when ever the ignition is off and card is out, on the screen in the dash it say " Steering wheel unlocked " What ever that means.. And sometime's that doesn't go off the screen. So its been back to renault and they are baffled what the problem is ( Thank god for warrenty's, not gonna cost us anything... But patience.) So they gave us a little 206 for the day and we gotta go back this evening to see what the problem is. They told us they have to order a part ( god knows what ) But this really isn't a good start.

Any ideas what could actually be wrong with the car ? Anybody ever have similar problems.

If you's are wondering, There was a thread a while back about me buying this car.

Thanks,

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

re: AB warning light, could be a number of things, from a glitch in the computer displaying the info. a broken sensor, a loose connection in the plug under the seats for pre-tensioners (linked into the same system on my last 3 cars)

re: steering wheel unlocked - was the steering wheel locked or unlocked with ignition off/card out?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ciarsd wrote:
    re: steering wheel unlocked - was the steering wheel locked or unlocked with ignition off/card out?
    Can the steering lock be applied with the ignition on??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The message about the steering wheel being unlocked may be to do with the height adjustment of the wheel rather than the actual steering lock. It would make sense that the airbag light would come on if the steering wheel wasn't locked in position.

A Renault garage should be able to find the problem by running diagnostics. Also I have the Renault Dialogys manual at home and will see if it says anything about airbag warning lights.

Airbag light came on in my laguna at one stage. Problem was traced to a loose wire under the front seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

kbannon wrote:
    Can the steering lock be applied with the ignition on??? :confused:

i should hope not. i was looking for clarification on the steering problem. if the card was out / ignition off, and steering is still unlocked then theres another problem, which may or may not be related to the A/B :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Sorry about slow reply, 1st of all about the height adjustment : No, i have already checked that. 1 of the 1st things i have tired, I have fiddled with the steering wheel, But thats not the problem ( height )

And its when i pul the card out of the ignition, it displays the message on the screen " Steering wheel not locked ".

Anyway, Going to find out sooner or later today we hope when the problem will be solved, But i have heard bad things about renault about people's car's being in the garage for weeks but Hopefully this is not the situation.

They said they had to order a part or two in to get this fixed ( So they told my mother, she brought it to the garage ) Before it can be fixed, So unfortunetly, I doubt its a loose wire :(

Appreciate the tip's guy's. So it really is true about renault ! I can't believe this is happening already :p

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

That is bad luck HJ, let us know what happens.

I have an 04 megane myself with over 24K on it, no problems worth mentioning yet. Although I still have a squeaky brakes problem. Renault tell me it is a brake pad design flaw that they haven't figured out yet :confused:

Anyhow, hope it works out okay.

Well, got more news. The problem is, or so they are telling us is the Air bag loom has gone, if anybody can make sense out of that :confused: Anyway, So they tell us its being sorted, Np's but if we are lucky we will have it 2moro night, but it probably will be friday so they say, before its repaired. So i have a feeling they are going to say the same on friday about it, " Oh there has been a little delay on the delivery on the new part, Please get back to us on monday afternoon " But hopefully it sounds like they know what's up.

Anybody care to explain what the Air bag loom is ? Possible soemthing to do with steering wheel air bag, if it was displaying a message to do with the steering wheel ? :confused: Would really like to know,

And about the brakes as you mentioned up above ^, Funnily enough that was one thing i was wondering about the car, Everybody mentions about megane's, The squeeky brakes... AFAIK i havn't heard our's squeak as of yet...

Anyway,

Lemme know about the Air bag Loom,

Thanks,

Hj

Anybody know what an Air Bag Loom is ?

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The loom is the wiring system for the airbag. I assume they can check the various airbag sensors and trigger mechanisms with their diagnostic tools and since its a closed loop CAN system if the components at each end are okay then it can only be the wiring (or built in block connectors) which may be faulty.

You cannot probe, test or splice an airbag loom so the would need to replace this short section of cable with connectors instead !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Unusual for anything to ever happen a wiring loom.

I do up old tractors in my spare time, and I have never come across a wiring loom (admittedly not for an airbag :) ) being faulty; and this after 20-30 years.

• Advertisement

Right, Another update !

It is going to be atleast monday night/tuesday afternoon until we get the car back now. We rang renault today, avoided our dealer ( bolands ) and turns out the fella in charge of getting our car repaired from bolands, Is disputing paying for the repair's with renault. So thats what the hold up was the whole time... So the part is officially ordered so we were told by renault and monday before they have it and can fit it.

So thats where we are now, why do I have a feeling we are going to hear the same on monday ? ;)

Hj

Renault = WASTE OF TIME

This is the first renault we have bought, And i can tell you it is going to be the last.

We were told today now it will be Thursday - Friday atleast. What a bunch of retard's. Man This is frustrating dealing with them.

Hj

Might Just do that actually,

Thanks.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

HungryJoey wrote:
    Well, got more news. The problem is, or so they are telling us is the Air bag loom has gone, if anybody can make sense out of that :confused: .......

Anyway,

Lemme know about the Air bag Loom,

Thanks,

Hj

it is very likely that a short length of spiral wound wire that is coiled around teh steering shaft and connects the AB to the stationary wiring has developed a crack after years of flesing. It's generally called the "clockspring".
    It is typical failure in steering wheel airbags in amy cars.

Are there any other steering wheel activated controls, Cruise ctrl, radio, etc, that may also be giving trouble at this time.?.

Nope, Theres Volume control around the side of the wheel, But thats about it.

The part has finally arrived with renault, They said we " should " have it by tomorrow.

Hj

Just got the megane back today, Very pleased with it. Its very nice to get back into after being in a 206 for 10 day's. They even cleaned it for us ;)

Anyway, Problem seems to be sorted thank god. Hopefully all shall go well now.

Hj

Advertisement