Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Clonskeagh, D6

• 19-10-2005 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting broadband internet access in Clonskeagh, Dublin 6.
    I have 2 computers which need to share the connection and I don't want to pay more than 45 Euro (tax incl.) p/m. I also prefer a high download limit (> 20GB) and I need good latency because I'd like to play online games as well.

I've been thinking about getting either NTL broadband or Digiweb's Metro.

My main concern for NTL is that I might not be able to share the internet connection. (I presume that NTL gives out a static IP address and that they require a MAC address, which makes things a bit complicated with 2 computers.)

My main concern for Digiweb's Metro is that the latency is to high, causing problems when playing online games. Furthermore, I rent my appartment on the ground floor of an appartmentblock and I'm not sure if I am allowed to put an antenna / dish on the roof.

A concern when getting any kind of broadband is: what happens when I move? Will the contract be terminated?

Much appreciated if you can provide me with some answers...

Ocelot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

As regards sharing NTL connection, you can add a router to the cable modem and share the connetion easily. Lots of people on boards have done this. (I share my IBB connection using a Linksys WRT54G)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

have you thought about Digiweb's normal DSL package? they have a 2mb package with 40gb traffic allowance, and that costs €35 a month. there's a list of enabled exchanges on their website, or you can just put your phone number into the site to see if it's exchanged.
    as regards the 2 pcs, they have the option of getting a wi-fi modem when ordering, which i think should let you split the connection between 2 pcs, although you'd need to buy some kind of wireless modem for the pcs if they don't have one already.
    with this package they give a static IP, but the lower package has a dynamic IP afaik.

i'm not totally sure if all this is right, but i just thought i'd throw the digiweb dsl option out there, i'm sure someone can correct me on the sharing of the connection details....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You should be able to get Clearwire there as well, just to add to the confusion.

I'd say you can forget Metro in an apartment. I would go with NTL but you will be bound to a 12 month contract. Same with Clearwire but it's a nomadic wireless service so you can just take the modem with you to the next place, so long as it's covered by Clearwire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ocelot

Thanks for the replies so far! :)

And thanks for pointing out Digiweb's DSL service. (The phonenumber checker on their website is positive, so it IS possible.)
    I'm seriously considering their 2MB ADSL option like you suggested, ghostdancer....
    The only thing that's holding me back is the possibility of sharing the connection.
    I don't want to get a wireless router because then I need 2 wireless modems as well. I prefer a normal router, but then I need to know if it's easy to set up the router if Digiweb works with static IP addresses.

Does anybody have experience with sharing the Digiweb 2MB ADSL option over 2 computers?

If you're going for ADSL, I believe BT is the cheapest option but it requires getting through their hugely incompetent CS dept.

There's no problem sharing the connection regardless of what type of broadband you get. You will not have a static IP address but that's irrelevant. The router will create a local network and will map ports on the external IP address to ports and nodes on the local LAN.

• Advertisement

Why would you choose ADSL over NTL, incidently? NTL is cheaper and you don't need a phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ocelot

Well, NTL is cheaper.
    However, compared to Digiweb, the download limit is lower. But more important: NTL has a 12 month contract period and Digiweb has only 6 months. I'm not sure if I'll stay 12 month in the current appartment.

Will the NTL contract be terminated when I move house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ocelot wrote:
    I don't want to get a wireless router because then I need 2 wireless modems as well. I prefer a normal router,

Linksys WRT54G has 4 wired ports on it as well as wireless. So you can connect using network cables. Wireless cards can be gotten for as lil as €30. Plenty of second hand ones in the For Sale section too.

Router will work with either a dynamic or static ip. Linksys is easy to setup for either.

Advertisement