Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No sound. Help!!!!

Options
  • 19-10-2005 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I've had a Sony 5.1 Home Cinema system for over a year now. I recently moved it to a new room in the house and initially it worked fine, but on Saturday I got a call from the missus to say that the "sound was gone" on the kids DVD movie. I went home and checked scart conections etc but couldn't get the sound to come back on.

I left it alone until last night and tried a few things - checked connections, settings, scart connections etc but all to no avail. Basically the picture comes on but the speaker emit a 'noisy' sound. I ran the test mode and everything seems OK on that front.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

if its a 5.1 system why are you checking the scart socket ?

Surely that only delivers video and sound to the tv and not the speakers ?

Is it an all in one ie dvd and amp

also if your test signal is coming out all the speakers I cant see any reason why your dvd sound doesnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 AnFearDearg

I'm not well up on these things hence I checked the scart socket :o .

It's a Sony DAV-S300. DVD player with 5 speakers and subwoofer (excuse my lack of tecchie jargon!). My brother took a look at it recently and thinks the sound card in the DVD player itself might be goosed as he removed all the speaker cables from the DVD player and put the sound through the TV using the audio/video cables and the sound was *still* gone. We know the TV speakers are good so the fact it's the same means the sound is fcuked at the DVD, not the speaker. That's his unprofessional opinion anyway...

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Sounds like the decoder (as opposed to the amp) is borked :( .

I have a DAV-S500 and it has the connections for the speakers and also the tri-phono connections for connection to the tv. If, as you say, the test tones are working (all the channels?) then the amp is fine. If you get *no* output from either the speakers or the tri-phono (is yours a scart, cause it will carry sound as well) then it *could* be the internal decoder thats gone.

I don't have an idea of what it's cost to fix, but I would assume it's a Sony Centre job (i.e. expensive), as opposed to a local friendly repair man.

Advertisement