Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Pads

Options
  • 19-10-2005 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

how long should they last, in general?

I bought an approved used VW Golf with 40k on clock, and have now done 50k so left it in for a service, but I get a call saying the brake pads are 80% worn.

Seems a little much. I'm being charged about 180 for new front ones fitted incl. VAT.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

TheLedge wrote:
    how long should they last, in general?

I bought an approved used VW Golf with 40k on clock, and have now done 50k so left it in for a service, but I get a call saying the brake pads are 80% worn.

Seems a little much. I'm being charged about 180 for new front ones fitted incl. VAT.

Cheers

Depends on how you drive....if on long trips down the country or only really drive in the country then brake pads will last long.....if in the city then becasue of all the braking you do at traffic light/roundabout/clowns pulling out in front of you/people pushing there buggy with baby in it straight in front of you then they will not last long......

Also when where they changed? did previous driver change them before selling? probably not so god know when they where last changed!!! cant find website I got here a while ago from someone from a company in Belfast that where doing cheap VW parts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It all depends on how the car has been driven - type of roads, driving style etc. Also type of car and type of pads will come into it. I have 90k on my pads and they are fine for another while yet, should see over 100 k probs. OTOH somo drivers wear out a set of pads every 20k

It would not be unexpected to have front pads 80% worn at 50k miles.

You can easily check pads yourself though if you take off the wheel. Don't forget to check the inner pads as well as the outer ones. Pads should be replaced when the thinnest pad is down to around 3 mm thickness. I don't know how thick 80% worn pads would be - perhaps around 5 mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BrianD3 wrote:
    It all depends on how the car has been driven - type of roads, driving style etc. Also type of car and type of pads will come into it. I have 90k on my pads and they are fine for another while yet, should see over 100 k probs. OTOH somo drivers wear out a set of pads every 20k

It would not be unexpected to have front pads 80% worn at 50k miles.

You can easily check pads yourself though if you take off the wheel. Don't forget to check the inner pads as well as the outer ones. Pads should be replaced when the thinnest pad is down to around 3 mm thickness. I don't know how thick 80% worn pads would be - perhaps around 5 mm.

Would never leave the same pads on for 100K???? thats mental!!! not sure but I think at most you are supposed to change at least every 50k!! its not safe with same pads on for so long!!! wat u driving and are you in city???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Big Nelly wrote:
    Would never leave the same pads on for 100K???? thats mental!!! not sure but I think at most you are supposed to change at least every 50k!! its not safe with same pads on for so long!!! wat u driving and are you in city???
    Driving a Laguna and mainly country driving on N roads. There is no need to go changing pads at aspecific mileage, who told you that. Change pads if they are worn down to the minimum allowable thickness or have been contaminated with something eg brake fluid or oil.

One exception to this could be if the pads have been on the car for years eg a classic car which gets occasional use and has had the same pads for 10 or 20 years. Over very long periods of time I suppose it's possible that pads may harden, crack, degrade etc. of their own accord.

Advertisement