Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performace or Fuel Ecomony

Options
  • 19-10-2005 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Which would you choose?

With fuel prices at an all time high are people considering this when purchasing a car. And purchasing a car do you go for performance or fuel economy.

I'd love to get a good car with some grunt behind it but i dont fancy filling up at the pumps every other day or so.

So I'd Love a Honda Integra 2lt (New Type) but i think i would settle for Honda Civic 1.4lt (New Type). Civic would be cheaper and easier on the fuel bills but the Integra would be more fun. Just something before i get old and have to get a family saloon if you know what i mean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its your money! I dunno what the gap in economy is between the cars you mention but if your overall mileage er kilometreage is modest then the 'hit' wil be small enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'll do my plug for the VAGE Tdi's again so... heh

My remapped Tdi does a good 50 miles per gallon and it can keep those annoying Glanza's very honest

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most modern day diesel cars are very good on economy while able to keep up or pass their equivalent petrol model.

Of course in a diesel if you are fond of flooring your right foot the economy will suffer too just not to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Good old Deisel's. Plenty of grunt!!

I suppose deisel is the option really, get it re-mapped and watch her go. Deisel would have good reliability as well. If you get your deisel re-mapped what oil do you use to compensate for the extra power - this is a point that most people forget when tuning a car is that the standard oil may not be suitable for the car no more and will require regular oil changes.

So line you up the deisels then....

Golf TDI probably hits the top of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is this deisel of which you speak? ;)

Good option though except you'll pay for the previlage so will need to clock up the miles or keep it for a good while.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh think Diesel is yer only man.
    What I wouldn't do to be able to afford a nice Fabia vRS, Ibiza Cupra R or Leon Cupra R.
    Was reading a magazine article where they had a Fabia vRS chipped to 150bhp yet it still comfortably returned 50mpg at a constant 80mph!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Diesel prices are creeping up from what I read in the papers.

Tbh i'd wait until the new year and get a few shillings off a 2nd hand car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Just out of curiosity how fast (0-60) are those little glanzas I see out there on the roads?

kluivert wrote:
    Golf TDI probably hits the top of the list.

A Seat Leon 1.9 TDi or Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi would be cheaper to buy than the Golf, better equipped and both are basically the same car.

Newer models such as the Peug 307, Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus come in 1.4/1.6 diesel so tax and insurance are the same as the petrol model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

layke wrote:
    Diesel prices are creeping up from what I read in the papers.

yes they are. Its not publicized that much because the main attention is on the petrol prices but I have to say it has been creeping up in the last 2 weeks, cheapest I've seen it in my area is 1.09 which is pretty much the most expensive its been yet
    Ernie Ball wrote:
    Just out of curiosity how fast (0-60) are those little glanzas I see out there on the roads?

I think its 7seconds. Diesel's are'nt great 0-60 due to short rev range and gear changing but its the in gear acceleration that its very good on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Slightly OT, but has anyone any experience of the Corolla 1.4 D4D, and how it would compare to the VAG 1.9 TDI, in both terms of economy and power. On paper the Corolla seems the more economcal and slower car. I have driven the 1.9, but wondering if anyone has tried a 1.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ernie Ball wrote:

0-100km/h in 8.0 seconds. Pretty damn fast for such a wee car. Although after 100km/h there's not much acceleration left...

Seat Leon Cupra TD 150BHP (the fastest Diesel Leon) does it in 9.1 seconds but has wayyyyy more torque. After mapping it might go faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

kluivert wrote:

So I'd Love a Honda Integra 2lt (New Type) but i think i would settle for Honda Civic 1.4lt (New Type). Civic would be cheaper and easier on the fuel bills but the Integra would be more fun. .....

also integra will cost mad money to buy and insure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

FYI and a shameless plug..

The new 1.6 VTEC Civic does 50mpg in country driving and will average about 40mpg around the town - unless your really driving hard. There's two for sale in the family at the moment - so if you're interested PM me. Am selling for €2k less than a main stealer right now.... :)

Also the new VTEC Civic's (apart from the Type-R) doesn't suffer the loading from insurances that once applied.

The VAG diesels are also very good, but there is the inital cost of them (they would be a little more expensive compared to a similar year Civic) and the tax, generally they are a 1.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

VTEC and VVTi engines are designed to have both fuel economy and performance.

maidhc wrote:
    Slightly OT, but has anyone any experience of the Corolla 1.4 D4D, and how it would compare to the VAG 1.9 TDI, in both terms of economy and power. On paper the Corolla seems the more economcal and slower car. I have driven the 1.9, but wondering if anyone has tried a 1.4?

Haven't driven one but the Corolla 1.4 D4-D has 90bhp compared to the entry level VAG 1.9 TDi 105bhp. The VAG unit probably have more torque though.

I would assume that the Corolla would be geared more towards better ecomomy rather than top end speed. It is also available with a 2.0 D4-D 110bhp engine. Don't think the 2.0 is worth the extra premium, tax and insurance though.

BMW also use the Corolla's 1.4 D4-D unit in their Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ill jump in the TDI bandwagon here too....

I compared my 1.6 petrol passat against a 1.9Tdi model.

The TDI produces 20Bhp more, is 1sec quicker to 100Km\h and on a per-lietre basis is 20-35% more economical on fuel.

So despite the fact that diesel is going up in price, you can still save significantly.

The golf GT TDI is a car with plenty of punch and as the guy's said, ocativa's represent great bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

jayok wrote:

Also the new VTEC Civic's (apart from the Type-R) doesn't suffer the loading from insurances that once applied.

Thats because its an sohc vtec and power is down roughly by 50bhp
    Ernie Ball wrote:
    VTEC and VVTi engines are designed to have both fuel economy and performance.

I think that only applied to the 3stage Vtec-E which was built with economy inmind and the worst gear ratio ever.

DC5 integras are gorgeous cars alright but there selling for up to 30k :eek:

I dunno if this is real or fake but supposedly its the saloon version of the new civic,looks bloody lovely imo
    mugencivic3.jpg

As for dirty diesels iv a friend who had a golf gt-tdi as standard it was a nice torqey car,after a remap and a few other bits its figures were very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Girlfriend has a Civic 1.4 00 after checking over a month on her MPG she was getting around 35MPG. I have an Integra 93 1.8Si Vtec and Im getting 30MPG so as far as MPG goes your not saving that much + a newer Integra type R should return better MPG than what Im getting.
    They are expensive but hold there value very well. Have a look in any secondhand car mag for Type R Integras and you will notice how well they hold there value.
    After driving the Civic I so look forward to getting back into my Integra it is just a different beast of a car, if I was in your shoes I would get the Integra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I had a remapped VAG 2.0TDI by Superchips and it was pushing out around 186bhp and it flew. Wouldn't get more than 380 out of a tank of juice after it though..

You don't need to worry about things like type of oil you're using after simply a remap.. The car/engine is generally well able for the extra power you're releasing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement