Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK who will be the next boss.

• 19-10-2005 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Ok so now that Kerr is gone who should the next manager be?

I think we all agree that the FAI should think long and hard about their decision. The new man has to be able to work within the limitations of international football and be able to motivate a squad that is not flush with top class players.

Martin O’Neill is that obvious choice, however there are questions about whether he is will to get back into football in light of this wife’s illness.

Another man I would like to see considered is Charlton manager Alan Curbishlee. He is the second longest serving manager in the top flight and knows to work with limited resources. He has been tipped as a future England manager and this may be a step towards that for him. I doubt however if he would leave Charlton for ROI.
    Another in the same vein is Sam Alardyce, again I don’t think he would leave the premiership for Ireland.
    There are probably many similar type managers all over Europe, I hope the FAI go out and see what is out there.

On the other hand there are the people who have been mentioned that I would personally hate to see take the job.

Kenny Dagleis (sp) – never did anything without a big wallet
    Bryan Robson – Useless at Boro and barley staying above water a WBA
    Ferguson – Unlikely
    Keane – Too soon
    O’ Leary – Does not want it but like Kenny a man who needs money (he is always going on about how little money there is in the transfer chest)
    Brady – Useless with both Celtic and Brighton (and blamed both ownerships for his failure on ‘Play it again Des’ a few months back)
    A man from the EL – Sorry but it’s a leap too far.

I am personally praying for O’ Neill or Curbishlee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

The FAI are a joke the way they handled this.

Chris hughton is one of the best coaches in europe, he was sacked.
    Brian kerr has done so much for ireland from the under 16's up to the seniors and he has been treated like crap.

Anyways getting back to the next boss.Knowing the FAI's record they will go for bryan robson, i hope the god im not right.

Personally i would go for a Top European coach,Philippe trossier or didier deschamps for example.Go for a former player as an assistant like steve staunton or john aldridge.

The players should take the responsibilty and cop themselves on.Plenty of them have been riding their luck for too long now.Robbie keane are you listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It's got to be Martin O'Neill as far as I'm concerned, his record of producing the best from average sides is exactly what we need.

As for the question of whether he will take it with his wifes illness, well only he can answer that. However since it is essentially a part time position it may well give him the oppurtuinity to get back into football without the day-to-day commitments of a club manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think it's hilarious when people mention some of the top names in management.
    Just look who we've had in the past few years.... McCarthy, Kerr.
    I'm not going to count in Charlton, because he put the squad in the international spotlight.... you'd expect good managers to come on after that.
    But McCarthy and Kerr?
    As much as I'd like O'Neill, I'd say we'll see a trend continue.... Brady or Aldridge, or someone of that ilk probably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Martin O' Neill would have to be my number one choice but Im not sure if it will happen. His wifes illness may keep him away from the game and I feel its the wrong time for him. I wouldnt mind seeing a foreign manager given a go as long as he has experience working with limited resources. I feel foreign managers are more tactically astute than our own managers and might be more likely to get the best out of our players.

Only time will tell I guess but I expect the FAI to go for MON first and if he turns it down I expect to see a foreign manager given the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is O'Neill really suited to international football? Read this article:

http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=645932005

The first thing he did when he got to Celtic was change his title from "coach" to "manager". He doesn't seem to talk to his players. He doesn't do training. He doesn't give a team-talk before matches. He is not renowned for playing good football and is not the type of manager that would give a midfielder a free role.

He has a magnificant record but I probably wouldn't want him as Ireland boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

The Options:

Philippe Troussier
    Kenny Daiglish
    Martin O'Neill
    Peter Reid
    Howard Wilkinson
    Terry Venables
    Liam Brady
    Alex Ferguson
    Claudio Ranieri
    Ian Dowie
    Bryan Robson
    Big Ron
    George Graham
    John Aldridge
    Bobby Robson
    Glenn Hoddle
    Ronnie Whelan

By process of Elimination it has to be Big Ron:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd like to get Paul Jewell from Wigan. He's young, hungry and has already managed to get two teams up from Div1 to the Prem. He managed to even keep Bradford up there for 2 seasons .... so if miracles are what you're after then he's your man. It's early atm but he seems to be doing well with Wigan this season as well. Plus if he can get good performances out of Graeme Kavenagh then you can see the posibilities are endless for us and our squad.

That said tho, we probably couldn't pry him away from Wigan I suppose - esp while they're still a prem team?

However all I know is that I DON'T want some guy picked JUST because he's popular in this country or has Ireland/Celtic/ManU/Liverpool ties.... which seems to be how nearly everyone that's on the bookies shortlist was arrived upon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    Is O'Neill really suited to international football? Read this article:

http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=645932005

The first thing he did when he got to Celtic was change his title from "coach" to "manager". He doesn't seem to talk to his players. He doesn't do training. He doesn't give a team-talk before matches. He is not renowned for playing good football and is not the type of manager that would give a midfielder a free role.

He has a magnificant record but I probably wouldn't want him as Ireland boss.

That article certainly doesnt fill me with confidence about O' Neill. I really didnt know that was the type of amnager he is and if that is actually the case then I dont thnk he would be suited for international management at all. To be an international manager requires you to be very hands on if you ask me and you need to be a very good coach and tactician. You also need to be a good motivator and keep morale of the team up. O' Neill doesnt seem to be a good coach if that article is right. Im not so sure I would like to see him as manager now.

by the way robz150 im sure there are a lot more candidates than that especially foreign candidates

Kingp35 wrote:
    by the way robz150 im sure there are a lot more candidates than that especially foreign candidates

A lot of mine weren't serious contenders but for the money on offer and the pressure that Brian Kerr was put under by Media and Fans in the last few months is it really an attractive position for a European manager. Outside of Ireland and the UK i don't imagine the Ireland Job is seen as a top one, no more prestigious than we would view the Swiss, Denmark or Norway Jobs if they came up. Can all the posible names be added to the list so we can maybe get a top 5 possibilities.

BTW If Oz don't get past Uruguay Gus Hiddink may be available and he would certainly be the type of Manager we should be looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

robz150 wrote:
    The Options:

Philippe Troussier
    Kenny Daiglish
    Martin O'Neill
    Peter Reid
    Howard Wilkinson
    Terry Venables
    Liam Brady
    Alex Ferguson
    Claudio Ranieri
    Ian Dowie
    Bryan Robson
    Big Ron
    George Graham
    John Aldridge
    Bobby Robson
    Glenn Hoddle
    Ronnie Whelan

By process of Elimination it has to be Big Ron:D

Philippe Troussier -Perhaps
    Kenny Daiglish - No way
    Martin O'Neill - Maybe
    Peter Reid - No Thanks
    Howard Wilkinson - No Thanks
    Terry Venables - Not really
    Liam Brady - Maybe
    Alex Ferguson - Not happening
    Claudio Ranieri - Maybe
    Ian Dowie - Maybe, but is he from the Blue\Orange side of Norn Iron
    Bryan Robson - No way
    Big Ron - is he still around
    George Graham - if all else fails
    John Aldridge - Not doen anything since leaving Tranmere
    Bobby Robson - too long in the toth
    Glenn Hoddle - Ahhhhhh
    Ronnie Whelan - No experience

As someone above said get Paul Jewell out of Wigan, not a bad idea.
    Or the guy at Preston, or the guy who managed Latvia and got Yoveill from the confrence to League 1, now at one of the Bristols I think ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

fade2black wrote:
    Still too high to be refused. They'll be much lower in the coming days.

Of robz150 list above only Troussier, O'Neill, Feguson and Dowie would be better than a "No thanks" from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

although O'Neill would be first choice I cant see it happen however I reckon Gary megson would do a good good maybe.

But I can only really see Aldridge or Whelan taking the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I hope Ranieri gets it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    I'd like to get Paul Jewell from Wigan. He's young, hungry and has already managed to get two teams up from Div1 to the Prem. He managed to even keep Bradford up there for 2 seasons .... so if miracles are what you're after then he's your man. It's early atm but he seems to be doing well with Wigan this season as well. Plus if he can get good performances out of Graeme Kavenagh then you can see the posibilities are endless for us and our squad.

Good suggestion Pigman, although I really can't see him leaving Wigan but you never know. Actually Wigan have got 16 points from their last 6 games. That's some good show of form for a newly promoted team.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Surprised no-one has mentioned David Moyes - he might be looking for a job soon!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

so might souness but I'm glad he didnt get a mention :D

Under a fairly hefty contract I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

yom 1 wrote:
    so might souness but I'm glad he didnt get a mention :D
    how could he drop all the Irish players?:D

LizardKing wrote:
    I hope Ranieri gets it ...
    I've never rated him. Been saying the same on this forum since he was Chelsea manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

TheMonster wrote:
    Surprised no-one has mentioned David Moyes - he might be looking for a job soon!!;)

That's precisely why we didn't mention him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    That's precisely why we didn't mention him.

I have a nasty feeling that the FAI's "Masterplan" to get a new manager might be to sift through all the deadwood that's left over from the Premiership come next spring and there's a good chance that Moyes might be apart of that deadwood.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Anyone for a bit of Pat Dolan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Whoever comes in will have a tough job.

We need a manager that is able to get the maximum out of the players. The obvious candidate is Martin O'Neill. But, O'Neill's brand of football is usually not very attractive, but on the other hand is suited to Cup football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I thought Duff played great under Ranieri ...

LizardKing wrote:
    I thought Duff played great under Ranieri ...
    He did and was usually Chelsea's best player when he did play. I just don't think he's a good manager. Doesn't seem the full shilling to me tbh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Cant see them opting for a foriegn coach, looking how it worked out for scotland and how the english media are getting at sven and suggesting they'd opt for an english manager in future etc. I reckon if they sacked Kerr they have some one in mind and will probably wait for them to be ready, I dont think O'Neill is ready now but he may be ready in the near future. One things for sure they are in no rush and probably wont have someone for sometime.

I take it we've all ruled out McCarthy? heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

No decent premiership manager will throw their hat in. More likely someone who's not working or who would be taking a step up.

That O'Neill article is biased so it's hard to judge, his record speaks for itself and this role may suit him given his circumstances. O'Neill is clearly the best option, he's the only one of the worthy favourites who's stayed schtum - I'd bite the arm off him if he's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

do we not usually get like joe kinnear or one of them lot turnin up for the interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terry Venables would get my vote if, as I suspect, Martin O'Neill won't take the job. Venables is a proven international manager who would get the team-spirit, that was so important under Jack Charlton and Mick McCarthy, back. Having read Robbie Fowler's autobiography, it's obvious that Venables has a great raport with players and he would be just the man to get the best out of inconsistant players like Keane and Morrison.

in the last hour O'neill's odds have shortened from 7/2 to 9/4...everyone else has drifted.

And now Brady has shot from 8s into 9/2.....a very active market.

Please God not Brady. :eek: Whatever about the previous managers we've appointed, appointing Brady would just make a mockery of us. A failed manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Peter Reid with Niall Quinn as assistant was an interesting one I heard earlier...

Interesting choice....put one magic bean on that and 34 magic beans would be yours if it came true.

Regarding Brady...i think there are a lot of successful managers out there now that at some point were called failed managers...I think he will have learned a lot since then.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Regarding Brady...i think there are a lot of successful managers out there now that at some point were called failed managers...I think he will have learned a lot since then.
    Aye but let him make a success of himself at club level before managing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

No easy choice. I think we need to pick someone who knows international football and obviously someone with a link to Ireland would be ideal. Being a manager of a succesful English or Scottish club team is not necessarily a sign of a good manager for Ireland at international level. Managing Charlton or Bolton is not comparable.

I dont think that Martin O'Neill is the "messiah" that many people think. I had to laugh when I heard Dunphy (lets use one of his words and call him the donkey of the media) state that Ian Dowie would be a good choice. Is he gone completely mad?

I definitely think its a good time to go back to an ex-player for Ireland and someone with managerial experience. Aldridge fits that bill, and I'm sure he would do it for the 400-500k. And there must be others as well. Maybe an assistant from Europe would be of use. Keeping Packie Bonnar on as goalie coach makes sense, as with Shay that was not a problem area at all.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Please god i hope liam bady doesnt get it . What has he really got to put down on his CV , Two failed management jobs and ill never forgive him for celtic and signing cascarino

I agree about Brady. He had his shot as a manager and he failed miserably so there is no way he should be given the ireland job as it would be far too much of a rick. As for Terry Venebles he was a disaster at Leeds and couldnt get the players playing with passion and pride and so I seriously doubt he could get the Irish players playing like that. he is another I dont want to get the job.

Aldridge has been out of management for quite a bit now and he wasnt exactly a roaring success with Tranmere. I dunno really who I want. The names being said at the moment dont really fill me with an awful lot of confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

John Giles put forward an interesting choice tonight: Gus Hiddink

I think he'd pretty good pick for manager. He's won a fair few club trophies and took South Korea to 4th in the World Cup.

Perhaps Hiddink would take on the Ireland job if Australia fail to qualify for the World Cup. Although I can't see him giving up his PSV job to take on Ireland full-time. On the flip-side, because of a shrinking budget, the FAI may prefer a part-time manager...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i've aldo in paddy power i got him at 12/1 he's been slashed to 6/1 and made 2nd fav behind o'neal, but lets be honest he's not gonna take it. i think aldos the new man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Guus Hiddink was only appointed as Australia recently. I can't see him giving that up, even if they don't qualify for the WC, as the FFA is joining the Asian Federation after the play off against Uruguay, which will lead to a much more competitive set up for the FFA and indeed Hiddink.

In two and a bit pages no one has mentioned Stephen Kenny?

ntlbell wrote:
    Anyone for a bit of Pat Dolan?
    Do not even joke about that

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

seansouth wrote:

Don't joke about that either...

seansouth wrote:

Stephen Kenny will not get the Job, theres a mention for you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Gus Hiddink probably wont take it, even on a part-time basis. The current Ozzy job he has takes less time than most international jobs, and with PSV he has a full-time equivalent job as well. Whilst his credentials are fine I cant see him giving up either of his current jobs for the Irish one.

Brady, whilst a person that I usually respect in terms of footballing opinion, wont take it. He knows himself he hasnt got the track record and besides, he is too embedded in Arsenal.

O'Neill is not as fantastic to me as many people think. I think he could do an ok job, but I wont be expecting miracles. It may suit him, all depending on his wife's health, alas.

Aldridge did a good job at Tranmere, is avid with his Irishness, and is a man manager, but whether he can motivate the stars such as Robbie and Duff remains to be seen. But such a manager would be much better than a Bryan Robson.

Has anyone mentioned Bobby Robson? He is a good manager and has loads of respect, also a hands on coacher and man manager. He's old, but wise. He has retired but perhaps international football may suit him. He's well able to deal with the press monkeys/donkeys (take your pick).

In terms of selection strategy, its difficult to know which is best, whether going for a European/English expert or someone with an Irish link.

Looking at our previous managers:

Charlton
    McCarthy
    Kerr

Its not a role that has the Ancelotti's of this world chomping at the bit.

I still think an Irish link is the best way forward which would indicate O'Neill or Aldridge or any number of ex-players that have dabbled with resonable success at management level. O'Leary obviously fits that bill, Whelan perhaps weak on management, are there many others?

redspider

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hiddink is only contracted to Australia until the WC or failure to qualify, though he's expected to stay on if they do make it.
    Someone like Deschamps would be my pick, but whoever takes it has a mammoth task as, regardless of where we point fingers it's obvious that Ireland has no depth and very little skill.

i'd like to see the next lad have the irish link and a little bit of experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Troussier keen on Republic post

Former Japan coach Philippe Troussier has told BBC Sport that he would be "very interested" in becoming the new Republic of Ireland manager.

Martin O'Neill is believed to the Football Association of Ireland's preferred choice to succeed Brian Kerr.

However, French man Troussier, who was interviewed for the job three years ago, could again emerge as a candidate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4361794.stm

Well, im not too sure who id prefer - O'Neill or Troussier. I know im not a fan of O'Neill's style of football. On the otherhand im not to familiar with Troussier, i didn't see any of Japan's games at the last World Cup.

wasn't zico in charge at japan?

blu_sonic wrote:
    wasn't zico in charge at japan?
    Troussier was in charge of them at the WC2002. They got passed the group stage and knocked out by Turkey. He also got Nigeria to the WC but was sacked before they played. South Africa snapped him up and he was their manager for WC98. Nigeria tried to get him back recently but he said no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement