Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK who will be the next boss.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Good, so he's got the international experience.

But would you like to see him in charge, eirebhoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SofaKing wrote:
    Good, so he's got the international experience.

But would you like to see him in charge, eirebhoy?
    I wouldn't be against it. Don't know much about him though other than his record.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The only problem I would have with Troussier is that he will know nothing about any of the Irish youngsters that are coming through and they are ultimately who we need to be thinking about as the team goes through a rebuilding process. That could certainly work against Troussier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

galwaydude wrote:
    Chris hughton is one of the best coaches in europe, he was sacked

no he wasnt

he contract wasnt renewed however, pending the appointment of the new manager. he could very well be assistant manager to the new man, as long as the new guy wants him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20051020:MTFH67039_2005-10-20_12-38-57_L20742215:1

It appears Morocco are after Troussier. I'd like to see him involved with Ireland, he did very well with Japan in 2002. Can't see him heading to Flancare on a wet and windy Friday night but if Brian Kerr didn't see fit to pick any eL players, nobody will. Sad as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20051020:MTFH67039_2005-10-20_12-38-57_L20742215:1

It appears Morocco are after Troussier. I'd like to see him involved with Ireland, he did very well with Japan in 2002. Can't see him heading to Flancare on a wet and windy Friday night but if Brian Kerr didn't see fit to pick any eL players, nobody will. Sad as it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4361794.stm

BBC have been reporting all morning that he's "very interested" in the Irish job.
    "It's an honour to be linked with the job. The financial conditions would also not be a problem," said Troussier.

The 50-year-old, who guided Japan to the second round of the 2002 World Cup finals, added that the chance to manage the Republic "would be too good an opportunity to refuse".

"If I want to get money, I know where I have to go. To accept this kind of job is not for the money."
    Perhaps this is a comment on the Monaco job... I'm sure Prince Albert pays well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

whiskeyman wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4361794.stm

BBC have been reporting all morning that he's "very interested" in the Irish job.

Perhaps this is a comment on the Monaco job... I'm sure Prince Albert pays well...

It's Morocco as in poor noth African desert country, not Monaco as in rich south of France playground.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's Morocco as in poor noth African desert country, not Monaco as in rich south of France playground.....
    ooops.... my weary eyes on a Friday morning :p
    Sorry about that.
    Well, that's even better than for his chances here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Can't see him heading to Flancare on a wet and windy Friday night but if Brian Kerr didn't see fit to pick any eL players, nobody will. Sad as it is.

I really dont get why people say things like this. The reason he wouldn't go to Flancare park is because the players he would see are not good enough for international standards. If they were they would be playing in the Premiership or at the very least the Championship IMO.

Personally I havent seen much of Troussier but he seems to have the necessary experience at international level something Charlton, McCarthy and Kerr didn't have, which is a plus. He is also quoted as saying "if he wanted money he would know where to go" which suggests that he sees the Irish job as a challenge(which we all know it is) but one he would like to have. I think that he might well be a very good candidate for the job.

• Advertisement

yom 1 wrote:
    I really dont get why people say things like this. The reason he wouldn't go to Flancare park is because the players he would see are not good enough for international standards. If they were they would be playing in the Premiership or at the very least the Championship IMO.

I really don't get why people say things like this. How will he know what standard they are of if he doesn't go? The likes of Kevin Doyle and quite a few other players in the eL could quite easily cut it at Championship level, as Doyle has recently been proving. Myself and all the other regular eL fans could pick you out at least 2 or 3 players in our domestic league who are at least of a standard deserving of a chance in a couple of friendly games. If they make a complete mess of it, fair enough, but at least they got a chance. I honestly believe, however, that the likes of Wes Houilhan would give any of the creative Irish midfielders a serious run for their money. How many times have we been disappointed with individual performances in the Irish side and yet still haven't had the guts to change it for a "lack of alternatives"?

I'd love to see the next Ireland manager give the eL a chance, not just for the sake of it of course, but I'm sure if they would watch a few games at Tolka/the Cross/the Brandywell that they would see a player or two deserving of a shot in what is nothing more than a meaningless friendly. We do have players who (on merit) deserve a shot.

PS - How many countries can you name that completely overlooks (almost without exception) its domestic league when choosing its squad?

(NB - Just want to make it clear that I am not stating players should be called up because they play in the eL, but only if they are perceived to be of a high enough quality. Which, in my opinion, a few eL players are.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    PS - How many countries can you name that completely overlooks (almost without exception) its domestic league when choosing its squad?

Probably not many. For example, Ireland were the ONLY side out of 32 at WC2002 who didn't have one single home based player in its squad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is the problem though. I agree completely that some players in the Eircom would be good enough for the Irish team but the problem lies in that they are playing in a league witha poor standard. You cant compare the Bray Wanderers side to teams like Southampton or Norwich in the Championship. We know the players in teh EL have to the quality but they havent proved it yet by playing regularily in a league of a higher standard than the EL. Until the overall standard of teh league improves and not just that of the top clubs then I dont think players will be picked. There is a mojor jump from the EL to international football and thats the problem

Kingp35 wrote:
    This is the problem though. I agree completely that some players in the Eircom would be good enough for the Irish team but the problem lies in that they are playing in a league witha poor standard. You cant compare the Bray Wanderers side to teams like Southampton or Norwich in the Championship. We know the players in teh EL have to the quality but they havent proved it yet by playing regularily in a league of a higher standard than the EL. Until the overall standard of teh league improves and not just that of the top clubs then I dont think players will be picked. There is a mojor jump from the EL to international football and thats the problem

But what then about the players who have played well in European games over the past couple of seasons? Thats a higher standard. You do make a good point though. I wouldn't be too happy seeing our best players leaving to further their international careers, if we want to rectify the situation we should pick eL players and people will begin to recognise there is something going on here and, like dominoes, things might improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Myself and all the other regular eL fans could pick you out at least 2 or 3 players in our domestic league who are at least of a standard deserving of a chance in a couple of friendly games. If they make a complete mess of it, fair enough, but at least they got a chance.

I understand what you are saying about getting a chance in friendlies and possibly there is 2 or 3 players that should get a chance in the friendlies but ultimately the EL is not good enough and it is part of the reason that these players dont get there chance. If they did get a chance and done well i could only ever see them as back-up for back-up ie: Crowe playing because Keane Clint Elliot and Connolly all out injured or something like that.

Yes Kevin Doyle is doing well in the championship and its good to see. But IMO if the likes of Hoolihan, Byrne or Crowe were good enough for Ireland then they too would be playing in the Championship at the very least and earning a good wage. I just think that the standard of football is not good enough in EL although it is getting better as has been shown in europe in recent years.

yom 1 wrote:
    But IMO if the likes of Hoolihan, Byrne or Crowe were good enough for Ireland then they too would be playing in the Championship at the very least and earning a good wage.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think that if Wes continues to play as well as he has this season, he might just make the move to England.

This, in turn, would probably lead to an international call-up, which would make MrJoeSoap a very sad boy indeed, as the talent is there for all to see.

Oh my word, I've turned into Pighead...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

How about Peter Taylor for the job? He's done well with England U21's and got promoted twice with Hull. Not greate with Leicester but still think he might be a good option.
    He knows the English game well, both young players and players in the lower divisions. He might be able to uncover some overlooked Irish players or good eligible players.
    He seems to get the best out of the English U21s who play good football and look like they enjoy themselves. A lot of them have moved to the full squad. Also seems to be tough on any misbehaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

colster wrote:
    How about Peter Taylor for the job? He's done well with England U21's and got promoted twice with Hull. Not greate with Leicester but still think he might be a good option.
    He knows the English game well, both young players and players in the lower divisions. He might be able to uncover some overlooked Irish players or good eligible players.
    He seems to get the best out of the English U21s who play good football and look like they enjoy themselves. A lot of them have moved to the full squad. Also seems to be tough on any misbehaviour.

Not a bad idea, the kind we are looking for really, probably cheap with a bit of international and club experience.
    Whould the FAI look that far though, they might have to.

Advertisement