Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buy car now or wait till new year

Options
  • 19-10-2005 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying a 00 or 01 car now. Will i get it for much cheaper if i wait until 06, or does that only really affect new cars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

As soon as you roll your new car out of the garage you lose money.

Cheaper... yes, but it totally depends on the car as some hold their value more so then others.

Check out prices with dealers to get an estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

well it would be a golf id be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MkIV Golf second hand values are starting to get close to average now due to there being plenty of second hand MkV models available now.

You can get a good deal on a used motor at this time of year especially if you are a cash customer as the car will loose about another €2k to €2.5k by the turn of the year. The other side of the coin is that if you are trading your old car, it also will loose money but probably not as much as the newer car.

Another thing to consider is that the Government Saving Schemes will start to mature early next year and the motor trade are expecting 2006 to be a bumper year for new car sales. This means that there will be a large influx of used motors onto forecourts. This is good if you are in the market for a used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I Agree with bazz. If I were you I'd wait till the SSIA's mature, the garages will be horseing out new cars by the lorry load and there will be loads of people trying to trade or sell their 'old' cars. (I hope!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

am not going to wait until ssia's mature, too far away. If there would be a price difference of 2,000 between buying a 00 golf now against buying one in january though then id wait until january. Would they really drop from about 10,000 to 8,000 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

L5 wrote:
    Would they really drop from about 10,000 to 8,000 ?

No, he's exaggerating imo. They will drop but not by 2k overnight.

They will not drop by €2k in November or December, you could though get it alot cheaper than say if you bought it back in August. It will drop more in January as a 00 Golf is then 6 years old. €10k is way too much to pay for a then 6 year old Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

L5 wrote:
    thinking of buying a 00 or 01 car now. Will i get it for much cheaper if i wait until 06, or does that only really affect new cars?

Or wait till 07 or 08 they will be even cheaper.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    €10k is way too much to pay for a then 6 year old Golf.

€8k is way too much to pay for a then 6 year old Golf too :)

unkel wrote:
    €8k is way too much to pay for a then 6 year old Golf too :)

Agree, it is still too expensive for a car with an exagerated reputation for reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

These seem to be a bit more reasonable. From buy&sell searched Dublin area. Deduct about a grand for similar cars come 2006:

VW Golf gti 2.0L petrol 2002, Leinster Co. Dublin €7000.00
    5000k, 2 dr, h/b, manual, NCT 06/07, met, grey, ABS, a/c, a/b, alarm, alloys, CD, c/l, e/s/r, e/w, p/s, s/r, 087-6977929

VW Golf TDi Red Eye 2000, Leinster Co. Dublin €7000.00
    , alloys, e/w, s/r, fog lams, new pioner head uint, towbar, quick sale, 087-9915806

unkel wrote:
    These seem to be a bit more reasonable. From buy&sell searched Dublin area. Deduct about a grand for similar cars come 2006:

VW Golf gti 2.0L petrol 2002, Leinster Co. Dublin €7000.00
    5000k, 2 dr, h/b, manual, NCT 06/07, met, grey, ABS, a/c, a/b, alarm, alloys, CD, c/l, e/s/r, e/w, p/s, s/r, 087-6977929

Yes I think a private sale around this time of year is a better option than a stealer.

Not a bad price but I always thought the MkIV Golf GTi had a 1.8 unit?

Advertisement