Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwood floors upstairs - Impact noise reduction?

• 19-10-2005 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Builders are putting down OSB for first floor next week and an insulation guy had suggested that we put down acoustic strip over the joists before we have the osb fixed. We are nailing hardwood flooring to the the osb. Doing the sums it would be way over €2k to buy the stick on acoustic strip alone. Having talked to a professional hardwood flooring expert he reckons that it is not necessary that rockwool between joists and double plaster board would be better way to spend money. Any thoughts, suggestions, experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fookin hell that is some price for some "peace"

On our hut what I have done is have the OSB on the celining joists, in the main living areas, sitting room etc, i have packed it with fibre glass, plasticed it and slabbed it.
    To be honest if someone was to try and talk to you from upstairs with that solution you could not hear them. Muffled big time.

But we are doing the UFH upstairs so I have the 25mm of insulation on the OSB, then the pipes, then the 25mm of screed, then the 12mm of flooring so we are expecting to hear very, expecting been the word, if it does not work out I will be very disappointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

adding mass, as in double plasterboard and fibreglass will reduce the amount of certain high frequency sounds like speech that get through. it's good for privacy between floors/rooms.

but the acoustic strips are part of a more sophisticated solution to the problem of low frequency sounds, impact and vibration, such as walking on wooden floors.

rockwool have a detailed section on acoustic insulation www.rockwool.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Hi,

Builders are putting down OSB for first floor next week and an insulation guy had suggested that we put down acoustic strip over the joists before we have the osb fixed.

I'm putting down this

As I'm not finished upstairs, I can't give report on effectiveness, but at c.70c a metre length, cost will only be 100s, not 1000s.

Th underlay of the flooring is also an opportunity to put in another acoustic barrier.

Advertisement