Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldinho or Maradona - Who has more natural talent?

• 19-10-2005 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Ronaldinho for me. Its too difficult to judge who was the better player as the generations of football are completely different. People will always be biased towards the older generation (eg. I seen the best player ever in the flesh).

Here's an excellent 20 minute comp for those who haven't seen it already of Ronnie v Maradona:

http://masterprime.footballclips.net/Maradona.VS.Ronaldinho.Parte1.By.Master_Prime.wmv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It is very hard to tell TBH, players back in Maradonnas day were afforded far less protection by the referee, Maradonna got the crap kicked outta him in may a game and so did not get to perform to his best in each game because he was not physically able to, nowadays if you take a kick then you are more likely to get a free, when Maradonna was plying his trade you would get called a big girls blouse for going down.

I think it is impossible to say who had the most natural talent, Ronaldinho is quicker than Maradonna ever was though and has that extra string to his bow when needing to beat a player, all that Maradonna had was skill and a good survival instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well I never saw Maradona 'in the flesh' but he's still the greatest player there's ever been imho

Btw that link doesn't seem to work? I just get sent back to the sites homepage everytime I try it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

That site is usually wary of direct links.

On the main page you'll end up on, just click 'Maradona' on the middle right hand side under Players and you'll see it thar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Or right click and save target as... 147megs, nice - I'm looking forward to this :)

Maradona btw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The link worked fine for me and thanks for that video eirebhoy it was excellent. Great way to spend 20 minutes in college.

I still have to say that Maradona was better for me. They both have amazing technical ability its just Maradonas physical strength made him the better player because he could hold off defenders with his body and come away from heavy tackles still with the ball.

Excellent video I recommend everyone to watch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I always find it nigh on impossible to compare players like that. There are too many variables. Sometimes it just better to say if a player reaches legend status that's what they are, a Legend.

B.

Most Natural Talent eh? I suggest a poll ..... Grzegorz Lato. No seriously. Might be interesting to see the percentages of Maradona v Ronaldino.

(btw I had to save-target-as in the end to get it. Strange that they'd allow that but not direct url'ing for a stream :confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Maradona for me, same reason as Thanx 4 The Fish. He suffered more that most footballers and still came back stronger and better. His time at barca showed that with the injury and abusive fans in spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dempsey wrote:
    Maradona for me, same reason as Thanx 4 The Fish. He suffered more that most footballers and still came back stronger and better. His time at barca showed that with the injury and abusive fans in spain

Anybody see the documentary a few years back about the career of Pele? Some of the challenges he had to put up with were outrageous. It just shows you how much the game has changed.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Anybody see the documentary a few years back about the career of Pele? Some of the challenges he had to put up with were outrageous. It just shows you how much the game has changed.

B.

I'm not sure if he got that treatment every week in general but in WorldCup66 Brazils group opponents (Portual and Hungary iirc?) certainly did a number on him. They each spent 90 minutes kicking lumps out of him and as a result Brazil limped out at the group stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Maradona is the greatest player of all time. Best control of a ball ever and also the best dribbler ever. He was just unplayable other than break the rules and kick him to the high hills, which happened regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Maradona is the best player of all time.

I think Ronaldinho still has a lot to prove to be even considered for that, and I don't think he is even at the status of Zidane yet. I expect him to do so though, so :)

I remember when Ronaldo was younger many thought he would be the best player to have ever lived, and he could have been. Ronaldinho is still yet to be decided upon. Still probably the best player in the world atm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The real question is who was better Maradona or pele....the greatest ever...Ronaldhino is amazing, but he's not in that leauge...Maradonna won a world cup single handedly, and then brought the argies to the final in '90...They weren't great argie teams with the exception of him.

Even coming out of retirement for usa '94 he was still amazing....before he was kicked out for cocaine though...again.

Maradonna's best in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Maradona No Contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

The Muppet wrote:
    Maradona No Contest.
    indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Maradona For me even do i am a man u fan but were is pele in
    all this? He is the single best footballer who ever lived and is much better
    the Ronaldo & Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Maradona, considering the lower quality of match preparation in those days wrt training, diet and of course his prodigous drug habit, it has to be him.

We'll give ronaldinho a few years though. You never know what he could pull out of the bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I dont think any present day player, no matter how much of a genius, will get the same respect as older players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Davei141 wrote:
    I dont think any present day player, no matter how much of a genius, will get the same respect as older players.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that one. Back in Maradona's day, he was talked about as the best player of all time while he was still playing. But back to the original question. No contest. Maradona. No disrespect to Ronaldinho as he is a great player but I don't think he's in Maradona's league...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ronaldinho for me.

http://video.ronaldinho10.com/barcelone/gestes2/roulette_espanyol_ronaldinho10.com.wmv

He can certainly take a few rough tackles and still play football...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He is the single best footballer who ever lived and is much better
    the Ronaldo & Maradona

Bollox. They say Pele is better cause he is the "good guy" of world football.
    Maradonna is the best footballer ever even if he was high on coke half the time.

He singlehandedly won the league with Naples and the world cup with Argentina.

Pele is a myth..Maradona is the real deal.

And how people can say that Ronaldinho is better then Maradona!!.....sigh... some people know ****e about football

jank wrote:
    Bollox. They say Pele is better cause he is the "good guy" of world football.
    Maradonna is the best footballer ever even if he was high on coke half the time.

He singlehandedly won the league with Naples and the world cup with Argentina.

Pele is a myth..Maradona is the real deal.

And how people can say that Ronaldinho is better then Maradona!!.....sigh... some people know ****e about football

Some people would say the same thing about Ronaldinho for Barcelona in the second season. Just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean they know **** all. So get that stick out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Ronaldinho doesn't play well Barca usually don't play well.

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Ronaldinho doesn't play well Barca usually don't play well.

Exactly...look at the Panathanikos game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

cheesedude wrote:
    Ronaldinho for me.

http://video.ronaldinho10.com/barcelone/gestes2/roulette_espanyol_ronaldinho10.com.wmv

He can certainly take a few rough tackles and still play football...
    nice video. good show of balance

So get that stick out of your arse.

Are you implying that im a homosexual or that i participate in sodomy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maradona, based on results and trophys won.

Ronaldinho possibly may become one of the greatest. Maradona took a ordinary napoli team to domestic greatness, as well as taking the Argies to the 86 World Cup winners, and running them close in '90(were it not for there lack of discipline in the final)

If Puskas or Eusebio were brazillian they would be regarded higher than Pele.

Seriously if you think ronaldihno is better than maradona you need your head examined.

What next Rooney best player ever ever ever.

As Platini said when asked about Zidane back in 2001 if he was as good as maradona.

His response was "What Zidane can do with a football, Maradona could do with an orange"..........And that from a French man.

jank wrote:

"Get that stick out of your arse"

I think he's just suggesting that you make Aliadiere's loan move to WestHam permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jank wrote:
    His response was "What Zidane can do with a football, Maradona could do with an orange"..........And that from a French man.
    I'd personally say that anything Maradona can do with a football, Ronaldinho can too and more.

jank wrote:

Bit insecure are you?

I am implying that you and your opinion is exactly that...YOURS. So as I said before, take it out of your arse and accept that there are different views. You don't just come out and say something ludicrous like "You would be mad to think Ronaldinho is better than Maradona". You are talking about two unbelieveable players. It comes down to opinion and fanbase.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd personally say that anything Maradona can do with a football, Ronaldinho can too and more.

I would too...

Ah but monkeys/racists/fanatics/etc have opinions too.
    Doesnt mean they are right.

As I said people are believing that football nowdays is superior then back in the day 10-20-30 years ago.
    Sure they may be fitter but what do you want an athlete or a footballer?

Personally I think its after going backwards lately. You have no loyalty anymore no commitment, lots of players just playing for the money not the shirt

You cant even tackle and the amount of cheating and diving is making me hate the modern version of football.

Going back to the point of this thread, sure everybody has an opinion but ask any respected journalist/pundit to say who is better.

You will find it hard to get anybody at all to say that ronaldihno is better.
    I think you have been playing too much pro-evo cheesedude...seriously!

Are you saying that Ronaldihno is better then Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini, Zidane...etc

Personally I think Zidane is a better player then Ronaldihno will ever be.
    The best player of our(assuming your in your early 20's) generation.

Pele and Maradona shared the FIFA footballer of the centuary award. Deep down I think Pele knows that Maradona was better then him and it kills him. Hence why he is always speaking out about him
    Pele is only highly regarded because he is so good with the media( The Ali factor). Maradona the bad boy still so highly regarded

I could put it another way.
    Pele is famous for the goals he missed, Maradona is famous for the goals he scored.

Ronaldihno, the best player in teh world today. But nowhere close the greats

[Come back to me in 10 years after he singlehandly wins league titles and the world cup]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Spoke to some friends about this topic.

Thought the idea was absured and whats more is that people who believed the idea shocked them even more.

I dont think Maradona will ever have an equal.

If Ronaldihno wants to prove himself then he has to go to Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

What's even more absured is apparently we should be adding Lampard to this topic.

Best player in the world me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Tis a hard one to call there styles of Football are very different, both have an almost divine talent, both possess the skills that are afamed to South American players but although maradona was probably one of the top footballers, Ronaldinho has more "natural" talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Maradona over Ronaldinho any day, even though Ronaldinho is a great player. And I think Pele is getting far too hard a time on this thread...he was superb, the benchmark for the complete footballer, and that has nothing to do with him being good with the media or whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

dont think theres much to choose between the players, i personally prefer maradona because he is a bad Ass MotherF**Ker and a legend, That hand of god incident overshadowed probably one of the best goals the game has ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

anyone see the video of ronaldinho hitting the crossbar 3 times in a rpw. please tell me its fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

anyone see the video of ronaldinho hitting the crossbar 3 times in a rpw. please tell me its fake.

It's Fake. Nike Add.

For me Maradona. Ronadhino is class but he didn't drag a team the quality of Napoli to win the League that included the Might of the great AC Milan team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

not to change the direction of the topic, but yes. I seen it & was amazed at first but after watching it a few times you can see it's a fake... the balls just drops outta the air at one stage.
    Very well done though....

I'd say he has probably tried it a few time.....

LeNNoX

Looks class. He definitely hits it the first time. After that, I am not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

madona is the best 50 something and shes still going

Advertisement