Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Beans? (mexican)

• 19-10-2005 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Im sure i asked this before but did not get a decent answer.

Does anyone know.. and i mean "Know" where i can get Mexican Black beans.
    Not where i might get them or where to "try" and find them.

I want to know where someone has seen and/or purchased them.

This question was asked by an American on the Ray darcy show, unfortunatly i could not listen long enough for an answer.. maybe someone even heard?

You have to be able to get them as you can get mexican food with them here.

By the way, Asian stores are useless i think. They would have chinese black beans which are very different (black bean sauce).

While we are on the subject. also interested in Pinto beans, only place i know i can get them is up north in sainsburys or somewhere. Got dry ones here once but they were useless. would not re-hydrate right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pinto beans readily available dried, I have had problems with some pulses not hydrating correctly as well usually stock from small shops with low turnover.
    Try a bigger shop.
    or Buy the tinned ones from Epicure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes like i said, pinto beans i can get here fine (though cans would be easier). Its Black beans i want more though.

sigh... just not happening.
    I know they are used in Carribean cooking but i tried an afro carribean store to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gnadsher1970

There's a deli in the George's Street Arcade in Dublin has them, sold loose by weight. I looked for ages and eventually found them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I not 100% on this, but the mexican place in the Epicurean Food Hall off middle Abbey St has tins of them that i think are for sale.

good luck with your quest.

I have checked the foodhall but none when i checked those times.. Will try again..

The Arcade though sounds promising, i know the one i just never looked for black beans in there.. Nice one will try there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tescos

[beigin sarcasm] Really? Tesco? Wow i would have never thought of that..... [end sarcasm] :D

Thanks for the comment but i did ask for input from people who HAD in fact seen black beans somewhere. Tesco is the first place i tried. Including the 2 big ones in Clare hall and clearwater. NO supermarket that i have been to has them for some reason.

Its annoying.. like the Dr Oetker Pizza, its lovely but you cant get the spinach pizza here, all the others just not that one for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw them dried in tescos in ballybrack. Maybe they dont stock the same stuff. I know dunnes stores have different "grades" some stock higher quality foods than others

Did you look up on the web about hydrating pinto beans, there may be a knack.

Now I have not seen either in M&S but if was looking for unusual foods that would be my first stop. Note, I have not seen them there, but rarely go in there. And like the other guy said, the deli in georges arcade. And the foodhall in liffey street. and food market in temple bar

These are all suggestions, but I have seen the black beans in ballybrack. I will check again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe the full name of these is Black Turtle Beans, to distinguish them from other beans that are also black, such as Urid beans (a type of mung bean) that are popular in Indian cookery. I have a big book here called just "Ingredients" with loads of pictures of all kinds of exotic ingredients in it and in that they are just called Black Kidney Beans Phaseolus Vulgaris).

There's a shop called (I think) Asian Food Co. on Mary Street that has all kinds of different ethnic sections, might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gnadsher1970

Checked as I was passing today and they're still in george's arcade, loose in a sack labelled black turtle beans as Alun said. Not pricey.

• Advertisement

Sweet next time im around the area i will have to get some.
    rubadub - Ballybrack huh... cant say i have ever been there. If ever i am in passing i will try there too. I think the arcade is more a better option. I will be around there at some point

Thanks everyone.. now i can cook even better Mexican food than usual. and if i say so its damn good as it is.. :D

update.. just got some at lunch, was working in parnell street and walked across town and got some.

Nice big bag for €2.90
    She has all kinds of stuff including pinto beans.

:D

Advertisement