Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton Ghost Multicasting.

• 17-09-2001 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Im having a wee problem and its kinda to do with net/comms so mabye someone here can help me.

Basically when I multicast a PC using Norton Ghost, it seems to totally destroy any ability to use the network at all. I found an explanation for this at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000022806431025

What I need to know is how the hell do I enable IGMP on the clients, is there a command line switch? or something I have to do to my NDIS Drivers (protocol.ini) etc

Thanks

RentZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Dunno, I use Altiris Rapideploy which has a wizard that builds a boot disk that (with a bit of messing) boots a machine to logon into a win98 machine to pull down an image. Works pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Renton,
    IGMP on the clients is going to do nothing for you. The PCs will still have to process the multicast packets and it's still going to swamp the switch. An IGMP switch would work, but managed switches are about £1500+

TCSM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

I had similar problems. I flooded our entire network. I did find this rather strange as I use Cisco Catalists Switches and their pretty good.

Anyhows, I ended up grabbing a spare hub and lashed the pc and the ghost server onto it and bingo, traffic flood diverted.

Its not a great solution, it doesnt even sort the IGMP problem, but I just couldnt be arsed messing about. If you have a spare hub, bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    I had similar problems. I flooded our entire network. I did find this rather strange as I use Cisco Catalists Switches and their pretty good.

You have to enable IGMP on them, it's not usually on by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

But tbh,

I havnt a clue how to ? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement