Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating Surround Sound Cables

Options
  • 19-10-2005 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I have just run in cables for surround sound (5.1) in my living room. I ran the cables on the floor (recessed into wall at floor height) as they have recently been replastered and I have not yet added the new skirting boards.

I ran two sets of speaker cables as I am not sure if the amp/hi-fi will be located in one corner or the other so I’m leaving the options open.

I’m looking for suggestions on how to terminate the cables in a reasonably decent looking way. I have loads of other CAT5e anc audio/visual sockets in the room already so I want to keep the impact of the speaker cables to a minimum so I’d prefer not to go with a single gang socket faceplate. I have several phono face plates (about an 1.5 inches wide and an inch high with two small holes for phono terminators) and was thinking about locating these just above the skirting boards. They would be fairly indiscreet there and would give the option of using either set of cables, though I’m not sure how I’d secure them to the walls (plasterboards bonded to concrete) and they wouldn’t be at the same height as the other sockets (350mm from floor to bottom of socket box).

What do people normally do to terminate their speaker cables for surround sound? I don’t want to leave the cable ends just dangling above the skirting boards.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

These are what I used :
    http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?HCP20

Keene have other termination plates/outlets, and they delivered to me in Ireland no problems.

They are the standard size so fit on cavity wall back-boxes or on surface mount ones depending on how you want to fit. Though after rereading your post they're probably not what you want.

Advertisement