Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smart Car

Options
  • 19-10-2005 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Smart Car as my first car. I was in the dealership today and was taken out in one and I fell in love. I was looking at buying a new one as most of the used ones I've seen are LHD. Would you recommend i get a used LHD or a new RHD? Do you think it's a good first car?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If it's your first car and you're driving in Ireland or Britain you would be putting a lot of strain on yourself driving a LHD.
    Not to mention the insurance implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I thought about that which is why I was leaning towards a new one, but it's just a little to expensive for a new one with insurance. Its hard to find used RHD models. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I LOVE SMART CARS! I'm 6' 2" and broad shouldered yet I comfortably fit in smarts. I've driven hired ones in Munich a few times (€1 a day!) and they are a cracking city car, but a frustrating drive on the Autobahn as Renault Twingos glide past you!

I've only driven automatic smarts and I think if I bought one it would be an auto. They seem too small for a manual or something, can't explain really.

They are so small that I often found myself rounding a corner onto the wrong side of the road, if you know what I mean, so I think of all LHD cars to drive on the left, the smart would be the easiest!

I'm in love with them too. Nothings going to stop me getting one, even if it is LHD. It's a small price to pay for such a nice car. Is there anything I should look out for when buying a used Smart, or is it just the standard procedure?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

There's a cheap 2004 model.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=306096

02 one in Dumpland
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=284374

both RHD.

personally I love the smart roadster. Can't seem to find one to rent though :-(

• Advertisement

Cheers for them. The one in Dublin is nice, and has a nice Spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

murphaph wrote:
    I've driven hired ones in Munich a few times (€1 a day!)

:eek: how can they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    ....the three 'AA' batteries that power them last a week ;)

'c

unkel wrote:
    Advertising! The car is a mobile ad for some company or other. You must drive a minimum of 30km a day (but if you ake it for say three days, you can do clock up the 90km anyway you like), a maximum of around 90km a day (I think). The car just has to be returned with enough petrol so the warning light is not on! Sometimes they have enough juice in them to do your business and return it without going near a petrol station. The car has to come back washed, though on a summers day it may need no more than to wipe the flies off it. You're not supposed to take it out of the city area, but they're vague as to where this is and they told me they don't track the cars in any way. Interestingly, the company, Laudamotion belongs to Niki Lauda. The cars I have driven have all been brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Great car - insist on a full service history though. The turbos are allegedly weak and changing the plugs is a b1tch.

You can hire a smart roadster in Zürich for €5 per day on a wednesday, according to my sis.

I've had no problems with driving LHD in Ireland in 3 years.

Go for it.

• Advertisement

I'm getting one, theres no stopping me. It's just trying to find one at a decent price with a full service history. I figured LHD wont take me too long to get used to.

ds20prefecture, if I can ask, how old are you and how much is you insurance?

Cheers

bennyx_o wrote:
    ds20prefecture, if I can ask, how old are you and how much is you insurance?
    I am 36 and my insurance costs €639 per annum, for a 10000 mile limited mileage fully comprehensive on a €15k 2.0 classic. LHD/RHD had no bearing on my insurance, it probably would have a slight difference on a Smart.

The fact I'm 18 wont help either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Lovely little car, and in fairness, it is so narrow that the LHD effect would be negligable. (bit like a left hand drive motorbike :) )

bennyx_o wrote:
    The fact I'm 18 wont help either. :(
    I'd say the Smart is among the cheapest cars to insure. A fun way to work up your no claims bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Not driven one yet, but me likes them a lot -
    (i) because they're different to all these meet-too econoboxes and not-so-econo boxes
    (ii) because they're cheap to run and fix (especially body, if it was ever needed)
    (iii) because they're built near my hometown in North-East France

There was a time when I was considering importing a Twingo as a city runabout - no more since the 4/5-door version of the SMART :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

murphaph wrote:
    Advertising! The car is a mobile ad for some company or other. You must drive a minimum of 30km a day (but if you ake it for say three days, you can do clock up the 90km anyway you like), a maximum of around 90km a day (I think). The car just has to be returned with enough petrol so the warning light is not on!

Amazing!

Oh yeah, I've always liked smarts too, but only the 2 person one. Best feature? Parking facing the kerb :D

Reminds me of the original Fiat 500, especially in Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can get a Barabus version of the ForTwo also but it costs €29k. :eek:

You would think our Government would have some incentive here to encourage more people to buy these cars especially if you commute around large urban areas. But then step in the VRT people, the cheapest model retails at €12k here.

unkel wrote:
    Amazing!
    Yup-very cool. Last time I had a McDonald's Salads Plus one-it was like driving a large head of lettuce around Munich, but ho-hum, a mate wanted to get something out in IKEA and it's a pain on public transport so him not having a driving licence, I drove him out-that's the only time I've had one on the Autobahn and they are no fun on the open road, but soooo much fun in the city!!!!!!! Like a little go-kart they are. The Laudamotion people only allow EU licence holders interestingly enough. I've had a few more subtle ones out from Laudamotion too, but you can't choose your smart!

Advertisement