Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo Quizzed over Rape

• 19-10-2005 4:03pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

News just breaking on Sky .....Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has been arrested on suspicion of rape.

The Portuguese international winger is being questioned by Metropolitan Police officers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah yes I do remember hearing an un-named United player was suspected of rape a few weeks ago. You've got to doubt the legitimacy of the claims straight away, just going on previous football rape claims. They nearly always turn out to be fake claims made by some gold digger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So this is yet another case of a footballer being accused of rape. Seems to be an awful lot of these cases appearing lately. I have my doubts about this one too. I think its about time that the women who make false accusations should be getting in trouble with the law. That will soon put an end to it. That is of course depending that this is a false accusation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Might explain his recent loss of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

His father also died recently, that might be more of a reason for his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Every allegation should be treated seriously, but if it emerges that it is another case of a false allegation, the guilty accuser should be jailed. I hate Ronaldo as a player, but hope for his sake - and the game's - that it's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm not getting at the OP (don't shoot the messenger and all that), but all these claims are getting ridiculous at this stage. It's almost not worth bothering commenting on these claims as they invariably turn out to be untrue.

Maybe we should have a sticky like the transfers and rumours sticky, only this one is for "Rape Claims and Acussations"? No?
    Sposs wrote:
    Might explain his recent loss of form.

I'd say that's more to do with his father dying recently.

B.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

well some day it is goin to be a true allegation, or maybe it is a case that they are all some what true and that they do a Liam Lawlor and hand over an auld brown envelope.

I would put his loss of form down to his dads death I think, but only time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

He probably picked her up swept her off his feet with some amazing dazzling moves ... then when it came to the crunch , tripped over himself and fell on top of her ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Of course I hope it's not true, even though I can't stand Ronaldo, but If it's found to be false, the girl should go on trial for deliberate false accusations to profit or something and face a lengthy prison sentence.

This is getting ridiculos, every girl who makes it back to a hotel room with football players these days seems to cry wolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

BREAKING NEWS

Except for the fact that it has been schedualed to happen.
    The fact that the police are allowing him to scheduale it around his footballing committments I think shows how seriously they are taking it.

That said, if he is convicted he should be shot. But with the recent spat of these, its tough to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

BaZmO* wrote:
    I'm not getting at the OP (don't shoot the messenger and all that), but all these claims are getting ridiculous at this stage. It's almost not worth bothering commenting on these claims as they invariably turn out to be untrue.

Maybe we should have a sticky like the transfers and rumours sticky, only this one is for "Rape Claims and Acussations"? No?

B.

Yeah its getting beyond the joke, hell be cleared and she will keep her anonymity. I guess she thought he was inviting her to his hotel room for a cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

All we can do is speculate...but seeing as though we're all doing that....

Wasn't the fulham game his first game back after his dad died? He stayed in London over night at a hotel in the West End. Apparently in an accommodation that's well known for it's famous sporting clientele, which i'm sure will attract the groupies too....

So he's either the victim of a woman out for a few bucks or some publicity....OR a woman has been the victim of a grieving boy's aggresive search for companionship.

Only two people know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If it's proved untrue, then the accuser should be prosecuted and jailed, and have the book thrown at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It didn't take a genius to work out that it was Ronaldo who is centre of the ''rape'' allegations.

Just for the record the ''victims'' went to a well known British tabloid in an attempt to sell their ''story'' BEFORE they went to the Police. I thought the usual thing was to go to the police first. :rolleyes: Of course these ''victims'' must have been so ''traumatised'':rolleyes: by this ''rape'' they felt the newspapers were the best medium to go to rather than the police. I hear the latest trend to report murders now is to go to the newspapers first and then the police. Also having your face and name plastered all over the nation after your rape is meant to be a fantastic way to get over such a horrible incident. :rolleyes:

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusion from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

If she's lying, cut off her tongue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Interesting one this.
    It seems anyone can cry rape these days and get away with it.
    Remember the allegations John Leslie faced?
    So close to spending years in jail, and nothing happened to his accuser.

Sounds like the redtops are having a go at this one - says it all when Sky News have it as their main headline (you all know which news papers they own ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If he did it jail him and if she is lying, jail her, simple as that really. Problem is that there is alot of grey are and hard to get a conviction in many cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Kind of reminds me of the Tyson rape issue -

What is a girl doing in the bedroom of a celebrity(/whatever) in the middle of the night if she doesn't want sex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The problem with jailing alleged rape victims if the rapist gets off, that this may act as a deterent to actual victims coming forward. in case their genuine rapist gets off.

It's not as black and white as we would like it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

true but wouldn't the accuser equate to being a con woman/man if the alleged rapist is found to be innocent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

evilhomer wrote:
    The problem with jailing alleged rape victims if the rapist gets off, that this may act as a deterent to actual victims coming forward. in case their genuine rapist gets off.

It's not as black and white as we would like it to be.
    Very true, for people who have been raped it's hard enough to come forward and report it as a crime - if you're going to be accused of only trying to make a quick buck then it's even more difficult.

How many rape claims have succeeded so far (against footballers)? how much money has been won so far in court? appart from potential tabloid earnings I don't think it's all that much. TBH I'd like to see a ban against money being handed out by newspapers for information on these sorts of crimes - it'd hopefully get rid of a lot of false alegations without victimising or intimidating anyone from coming forward to the police in the future with genuine cases.

What disgusts me is that if it is true (which I sincerely hope it isn't) high paid footballers and clubs are always going to be able to afford the lawyers that will make this go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Another player accused of falsely going down in the box...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Rape is possibly the most difficult crime to convict someone of. In most cases its not clear cut, down an alley, knife to the throat circumstances.

Even if Ronaldo did rape this girl, or any man for that matter, she is going to have a hard time convincing a judge/jury that she wasnt interested in sex, since she went to his hotel room of her own free will.

Granted, she may have said no and he might not have listened, but thats very very hard to prove.

Its the unfortunate side to rape and its well known to anyone who knows anything about the subject.

Every year thousands of "rape victims" lose cases because they cant prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Draupnir wrote:
    Every year thousands of "rape victims" lose cases because they cant prove it.
    I wonder how many go to the tabloids before they go to the police though...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Draupnir wrote:
    Even if Ronaldo did rape this girl, or any man for that matter
    ...which would have been more in keeping with the Ronaldo rumours before this matter came to light!

It should also me mentioned that there are many women out there who try and bed famous people, and at "point of entry" or even after entry has been made, she shouts "stop". And then claims rape, to either extort money from said star, or to sell "her story".

Its very murky waters out there, and only two people know what really happened in this case. But if it is true that she went to the papers first and police second, then I know who I'd believe (even if he is a diving cheat :D )

Advertisement