Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLUMBING problem with hot water tank

Options
  • 19-10-2005 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

My gas heating system for some reason will not heat my hot water tank properly, unless I use the electricity switch and then it seems to just heat the top of the water tank not the whole tank as before. The boiler used to heat the radiators along with the hot water tank but now it heats the radiators only. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what might be the problem.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

paularose wrote:
    My gas heating system for some reason will not heat my hot water tank properly, unless I use the electricity switch and then it seems to just heat the top of the water tank not the whole tank as before. The boiler used to heat the radiators along with the hot water tank but now it heats the radiators only. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what might be the problem.
    thanks
    The immersion (electricity) should have a sink/bath option as well as the on off.
    Assuming you have it switched to bath and it is still only heating the top of the tank I'd suggest that there is a problem with the other element/coil in the tank.

As to why the gas isnt heating at all, perhaps it has been switched off automatically by the thermostat (in error)?

Im sure someone else on here can give you a few pointers on what to check before you have to call someone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paularose

thanks greebo, ive checked the thermostat and it hasn't changed. Boiler still heating radiators only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the cylinder is in a hotpress upstairs, 1/ There may be a motorised valve on the flow into the cylinder, and it may be stuck, or 2/ most likely there is not enough water in the system.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

have a look at the cylinder...should have 4 pipes going in/out of it.

Pipe at very top is hot water feed to taps. Pipe at very bottom normally at the back is the water supply (cold) to cylinder.

Two pipes at the front, one about 3/4 way up is the hot feed to the cylinder from heating and one at bottom is the cold return. There should be a manual hand valve on the cold return that allows you to adjust the amount of heat your cylinder gets from the heating system....check this hasn't been closed off completely. OPen it up 1/4 turns each day to see if it makes any difference to the amount of hot water the cylinder gets.

Let us know how you get on.

thanks lex luther,

ill check this out tomorrow and let you know.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Two pipes at the front, one about 3/4 way up is the hot feed to the cylinder from heating and one at bottom is the cold return. There should be a manual hand valve on the cold return that allows you to adjust the amount of heat your cylinder gets from the heating system....check this hasn't been closed off completely. OPen it up 1/4 turns each day to see if it makes any difference to the amount of hot water the cylinder gets.

Let us know how you get on.

If the water has stopped heating and nobody has shut off any valve, and if the "hot feed" described above is cold when the heating is on, then it is likely that there is not enough water in the heating system. If it is an open system, check the header tank in the attic. If it is a sealed system, find the valve which lets the water in.
    Jim.

Thanks Jamesm, I will try lex luthers suggestion today and see if that works, otherwise I will check out the tank in the attic. As a complete rookie, can you tell me which way should the valves be positioned ie aniti clockwise = off? etc. Appreciate all your suggestions and if you don't mind I will check back and let you know if I've been successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

paularose wrote:
    As a complete rookie, can you tell me which way should the valves be positioned ie aniti clockwise = off? etc.
    Just think of Joey in Friends
    "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" :D

GreeBo wrote:
    Just think of Joey in Friends
    "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" :D

Or think of it as your ordinary kitchen tap - clockwise = off, or closed.
    Anticlockwise = on, or open.
    Jim

Hi guys,

looks like the problem is sorted, so far so good, thanks for the tips. Hopefully I won't have any more problems.
    cheers
    paularose

• Advertisement
Advertisement