Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was I just blatantly lied to by someone from Eircom?

Options
  • 17-09-2001 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Just had the eircom sales geezers in, trying to convert us back from esat to them.. I was giving out the grief (my disatisfaction with pricing, Fúck all broadband etc.. etc..) as i always do when i meet an ericom person. I moved on to the scandal of the Local Loop Unbundling, they were sympathetic etc, etc. Now the Reginal Sales Manager turned to me and asked did I actually know what LLU was, I explained and he continued to tell me that in fact it doesnt cover access to the last bit of copper, now i thought that was the whole reason to it, to provide access to this for companies at a nice flat rate. Now i wish i was positive about that point, but i admit i wasnt.. but if i was blatantly lied to.. im not impressed. So lads (i know this might not make much sense but i was well on last night and the head is suffering :) ) does LLU mean that the company gets access to the copper from the exchange to yer house or not? This Eircom guy basically told me that no it doesnt and that not one of the companies will invest in putting this copper in as there only out to make a quick buck etc.. etc.. ericom spiel ya know yerself. (thought they were talking about themselves for a bit! :) )... Basically the point of this is, i wasnt quite sure (maybe it was the bad head) but i believe he lied to my face... i think.. umm.. aye..

Right now, i just checked irelandoffline.org to check this.. and it states as you guys know "LLU Local Loop Unbundling. A process where Eircom's competitors be allowed to install their own telephone equipment in Eircom's exchanges and provide services over Eircom's telephone lines. The most common anticipated use for LLU will be provision of DSL services." now it mentions nothing about no access to the last line form the exchange to the house. Lads i know i probs know this, but i really am fried and sort of annoyed about the brush off tactics used by these to guys.. as an eircom engineer told me recently, the were told "Eircom are out to make a profit, not to provide a service".. nice chaps eh?

Right.. ive had a couple of cups of coffee and i think my head is screwed on correctly again. I meant to add that almost every question I asked (for example why eircom pulled out of investing in fibre links up here in Donegal) was answered with, "We're being bought up, we're in a state of flux so you never know in a year or two we might sort it out". PITIFUL EXCUSES! These guys really did annoy my hungover head.. grrrrr...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Chief
    Now the Reginal Sales Manager turned to me and asked did I actually know what LLU was, I explained and he continued to tell me that in fact it doesnt cover access to the last bit of copper, now i thought that was the whole reason to it, to provide access to this for companies at a nice flat rate.

As far as I know he is correct. The manner in which Eircom has been permitted to implement LLU third parties do not actually have access to the so called "last mile of copper" but to be honest he is being a bit of a "Smart Alec". If LLU was properly implemented third parties would have full access.

Eircom staff are convinced that we are being unfair by forcing them to make their assets available to others but they overlook the fact that we as a nation have paid for the installation of this asset over a period of 100 years and that it is rightly belong to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

lets face facts gentlemen. while eircom are in control, nothing will ever be done properly or on time. While they can get away with keeping most of their power they will. If the government put more oompfh behind the odtr, we'd be sorted.. aww well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

So, if Eircom have priced ADSL out of m,ost peoples reach, and from what has been posted here, it looks like LLU isn't the saviour we thought it was, then it appears that Eircom have us by the short and curlies!!!

Advertisement