Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Journalist Kidnapped

• 19-10-2005 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

this from reuters.
    LONDON (Reuters) - Rory Carroll, Baghdad correspondent of the Guardian was kidnapped on Wednesday in the Iraqi capital, his paper said.

Carroll, an Irish national, was abducted as he left a house in Baghdad's Sadr City area after watching the televised trial of Saddam Hussein with an Iraqi family, said the Guardian's Middle East editor, Brian Whitaker.

One witness told the Guardian he believed Carroll, 33, was abducted by a group of armed men.

Sadr City is a Shi'ite-dominated poor area of Baghdad and a stronghold of radical cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

Carroll has been in Iraq for nine months.

Carroll was talking on Pat Kennys programme this morning about the Saddam trial.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Thats terrible. But apparentally he had just recieved training on how to deal with such situtations. Hope he's alright.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

His paper's statement - text in English, and audio in Arabic. Also Carroll's recent articals, including 'Reporters at risk'...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1595777,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I heard the interview on Pat Kenny. Amazing to think that he was kidnapped shortly after. Let's hope he is OK.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I was actually in School with Rory. He's a really decent guy, I hope he is going to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

I used to work with him in Belfast. An absolute gentleman and the best writer I ever worked with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, RTÉ News reported in a special at half eight that he has been released. Glad to see a happy outcome to it.

Just checked now, its also on the website.
    The Irish journalist, Rory Carroll, has been released in Baghdad.

Mr O'Carroll has already been in contact with his family. His father Joe confirmed the release and said the family were over the moon at the news.

He said Rory had told him he had been held in a cell. Two men came to the cell tonight and told him he was free to go.
    Advertisement

The 33-year-old Dubliner has been Baghdad Correspondent for the Guardian newspaper for the last nine months.

He was abducted by armed men in the Sadr City district of the Iraqi capital yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Great news.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/rorycarroll/story/0,16647,1597145,00.html
    The news of his freedom came in a telephone call from Carroll to his parents, Jo and Kate, at their home in Dublin. His father Jo said: "He told me that he had been released, that he was perfectly OK and in an Iraqi government compound having a beer.

Sláinte Rory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, to be fair, there seems to have been a pretty sharp decline in posts all over boards (at least as far as I can see) in the last few days. Most likely people seeing the foobar front page and thinking things are still entirely gone to pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

mike65 wrote:
    Interesting that that was one year ago to the day. But 28 posts in 10 days versus 10 or so posts in two days with the site all messed up is hardly fair.

Glad to hear he's safe and unharmed!

Advertisement