Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how am i doing or am i mad, marathon prep

• 19-10-2005 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everybody, i need some advice/support. I have entered the dublin city marathon and fully intend to finish the race. However i know my training is not the recommended six to twelve months. I began training six weeks ago with a decent level of fitness. I have given up the gargle and reduced the crap in my diet. My training weeks have included generally five runs per week, usually 4 runs of between 3-6 miles and one long run of 8 to 10 miles. two weeks ago i did a 17 mile run but was quite tired and sore at the end. My times have been approx 40 mins for 5 miles and i completed my long run of17 miles in 121 minutes. i may be going too fast.
    am i doing ok ?
    Any tips for the next two weeks, e.g. how much to run etc ?
    Should i wear shades ( e.g.potential embarrasment at struggling near end) ?
    What alcohol can i have which is not bad for the body( i am sick of water) ?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Sounds like you've only done one long run? 2 hours is reasonable impressive for 17miles in that case.
    Try slowing things down - if you're going to go through with it your legs will take a battering, they won't be used to the longer distance - still quite a jump from 17 to 26 but if you take it easy you have a decent chance of getting round.

Given the marathon is about 10 days ago there's not too much training you can do at this stage. In your case I'd strongly advise to try get out for another longish run (13 - 15 miles) as soon as possible, next day or two at the latest. After that take it easy, allow your body to recover and be in as good a shape a possible for the marathon. No need to go out running 5 times in the week running up to it.

Also the carb loading should be done over a period of days (5 or 6) before the marathon, not just the day before - so pig out on pasta for a week :)

good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

What alcohol can i have which is not bad for the body( i am sick of water) ?
    Thank you.

forget the gargle for the next week and a half...you'll only end up regretting it on the day of the race if you dont...if you've lasted 6 wks with out it..whats another week or so ...especially seeing as you have a great goal at the end...plus go on the beer after the marathon..you'll get locked really cheaply..you wont feel your hangover coz you'll be in bits anyway:D :D

Advertisement