Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Shane732 wrote: »
    Ohhh shiny!!

We'll have to have a race (within the legal speed limits, of course).

I think you might win since you don't have the wastegate issue and mine needs the upgraded coils.

Although yours would be a bit heavier due to being a vert :D

Also, speed limits are only suggestions ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I think you might win since you don't have the wastegate issue and mine needs the upgraded coils.

Although yours would be a bit heavier due to being a vert :D

Also, speed limits are only suggestions ;)

Don't forget to pull in and leave that 330d above get past :D

TheBazman wrote: »
    Don't forget to pull in and leave that 330d above get past :D

Nah, by the time he reaches me, he'll be in 6th with all his powerband gone while I'll be in 4th turboing up the rev range :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nah, by the time he reaches me, he'll be in 6th with all his powerband gone while I'll be in 4th turboing up the rev range :D

I think you're severely underestimating the daysul, laaaad. And the gear ratios :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

@Crowded house

Is that 131 - Ce?

I was behind you today in Jetland, have to say it's one fantastic looking car.

I think you're severely underestimating the daysul, laaaad. And the gear ratios :p

Daysul fanboi talk if I ever saw it :pac:

I think you might win since you don't have the wastegate issue and mine needs the upgraded coils........

Will the warranty cover the issues?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Will the warranty cover the issues?

Nope, I thought it did but it only covers them if the actuator is an integral part of the turbo and can't be bought separately. This isn't the case as I have a new actuator ready to be fitted to see if the actuator diaphragm is the problem. It's been said that it can often be due to the diaphragm breaking down.

I don't know though, I have a feeling it's going to be a big expense to put right because it will have to come off the engine and there's quite a bit of labour involved.

BMW give 12 hours to sort this problem but they are replacing both turbos. This is only really an issue on the one that's easier to access but there's still a lot of crap in the way.

I have also looked into a software update which solves the rattling but increases lag and decreases power. There is a version of the software available which doesn't affect either of these things but no dealership I have been onto knows anything about it. Also, I don't really want to have to travel up North just to get a software flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Also, I don't really want to have to travel up North just to get a software flash.

TBH get used to using the north for everything. Certainly for parts (which you already know), and any servicing you need a stamp for...

• Advertisement

Nope..............

Balls :(
    Surely the problem was there when the car was sold though?
    You're right about the big expense, a Rover enthusiast that posted on a forum I frequent worked at a BMW garage until recently (he's a mechanic), he reckons the wastegates on them is one of the biggest ball aches to do of the regular stuff, I thought your easy fix recently sounded too good to be true, unfortunately.

Balls :(
    Surely the problem was there when the car was sold though?
    You're right about the big expense, a Rover enthusiast that posted on a forum I frequent worked at a BMW garage until recently (he's a mechanic), he reckons the wastegates on them is one of the biggest ball aches to do of the regular stuff, I thought your easy fix recently sounded too good to be true, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, from my first test drive I knew the sound was there. I looked into it and all but it was only when I had the car a while did I then realise how much of a nuisance it is to sort. BMW US extended the warranty on these cars for this issue and each owner got this issue solved with 2 new turbos, actuators, wastegates, the lot for free. BMW dealers here let on they don't know about it :rolleyes:

The thing is though, it's such a STUPID problem to have on a car like that! It's all down to Mitsubishi's parts as they made the turbo/actuator/wastegate for BMW. The TFSI Golfs have the same parts and the same issue. My mechanic put a spring type thing onto the actuator rod and it took up quite a bit of the slack. The rattle is still there but not as loud as it used be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭DavidMelv

My first car only standard yet got it as a project :)
    SunsetCivic_zpseb09761e.jpg

I have also looked into a software update which solves the rattling but increases lag and decreases power. There is a version of the software available which doesn't affect either of these things but no dealership I have been onto knows anything about it. Also, I don't really want to have to travel up North just to get a software flash.

Just saw this extra bit, dunno when 335i came out etc but the lad I'm on about was saying to me once that the problem in his experience was on the earlier ones and it was wear on the wastegate bearings, meaning the slack wastegate wouldn't close properly, that caused the rattle.

Would the software flash you mention cure that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

@Crowded house

Is that 131 - Ce?

Good God No :D

131 TN

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

...but I have 8..:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Just saw this extra bit, dunno when 335i came out etc but the lad I'm on about was saying to me once that the problem in his experience was on the earlier ones and it was wear on the wastegate bearings, meaning the slack wastegate wouldn't close properly, that caused the rattle.

Would the software flash you mention cure that?

There you have it in a nutshell. The 335i came out in Ireland in 2007 in E92 format, no such thing before that.

The software just moves the wastegate further away from the seal so it isn't hitting of it and creating the noise. The whole point of this car is that it's meant to feel like an N/A car so the wastegate on this particular turbo is meant to stay closed when idling and when you put the foot down i.e. no turbo lag.

That's why when the software update moves it further away, it increases the lag and decreases the power. I don't for the life of me know how they got around that with the new software but my guess is that they tinkered with the air/fuel ratio at lower RPMs or something but I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Davidmelv, what is it? A Civic? Lighting man, lighting!

...but I have 8..:D

Touché :o

Gorgeous car by the way :)

Good God No :D

131 TN

You've a twin around so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I can flash your car to a newer software if you need.
    I don't know about this one specifically but if it is an OEM one, I have.

• Advertisement

bmstuff wrote: »
    I can flash your car to a newer software if you need.
    I don't know about this one specifically but if it is an OEM one, I have.

Legend! :D

All I know is that it's called V35 and it resolves the wastegate rattle issue.

Naw only joking

DSC_4702.jpg

Lovely color that suit the car very well, seen one the other day in the showroom in Blackroom, it is beautiful.

Legend! :D

All I know is that it's called V35 and it resolves the wastegate rattle issue.

Yeah ok if it is v35, it is an old one already...

Yeah ok if it is v35, it is an old one already...

Old or not, I do not care. If it solves this and I can still have my 306bhp I'm happy!

Old or not, I do not care. If it solves this and I can still have my 306bhp I'm happy!

Yes sure I will dig into it.

Yes sure I will dig into it.

Thanks a mill :D

I can't fathom how rattly wastegates due to wear aren't the sellers problem tbh. Weren't they rattling quite soon after purchase?

I can't fathom how rattly wastegates due to wear aren't the sellers problem tbh. Weren't they rattling quite soon after purchase?

Like I said in a post above, it was rattling from day 1 when I took it for a test drive ;)

........ it was rattling from day 1 when I took it for a test drive ;)

Oops, missed that, skimread.

Double bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Was waiting in Tesco car park to collect a friend....
    Heres the einzige Fastra

I know I'm quite obviously not a fan of Astra's, (no, seriously! :P ) but I have to say yours is the nicest I've ever seen. Absolutely lovely looking motor.

They look much nicer with the rounded front lights and not so many angles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks Dar I appreciate that especially from you with your dislike for Astras :)
    I'm quite fond of it myself, if only it had an opc engine in it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Here's mine, 07 Passat 1.6 FSI Comfortline in brown, it's not as bad as it sounds :P

564016_10150917437024689_1292832893_n_zps189191b1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Going through some old pics, found this of my first FTO, the one on the far left

Incidentally the one on the right now belongs to goz83, also of this parish.

imagexqme.jpg

Colm ya baxtard! I went looking through pics of my old cars thanks to you!!

Here's my favourite:

image169g.jpg

I still miss that car :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Silver. :cool:

CianRyan wrote: »
    Silver. :cool:

All Jap imports of the RX8 here were silver, and they were capable of producing more power compared to the EU version.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....now I'm trawling for old pics........

my current TT:

DSC_2078-L.jpg

DSC_2080-L.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Colm where is that FTO now? Any idea where the black one second from the right is either?

Never forgot the first day I saw an FTO, my Dad genuinely thought it was a Ferrari and ran to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 midlands paranormal researcher

some nice cars lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

not fare lads. old car wave. I fecking miss my old boy so much. when i think that it is broken for parts and its carcass laying down somewhere in a ditch it makes me cry. :(

surroundedbytoyotas.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    The starlet, yeah?

:D:p:pac:

one of those starlets ( glanza actually ) is 320hp monster. so i would not mind that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

one of those starlets ( glanza actually ) is 320hp monster. so i would not mind that!
    Is she 1.3 in the log book laaaaaaaddddd :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Damn yous and the old pics!!!

58744_154140741272049_6534167_n.jpg
    20653_104239839595473_2222419_n.jpg
    20653_104240039595453_1698478_n.jpg
    20653_104240142928776_168844_n.jpg
    20653_104239639595493_7515667_n.jpg
    321691_293202247365897_219787941_n.jpg
    150879_176244019061721_2063447_n.jpg
    20653_104239456262178_3008484_n.jpg
    Image00682.jpg

Plenty more I didn't get pics of :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ivvblf.jpg

back when time and money were no object and a swirl mark would bring a tear to my eye. the only car i've ever owned that i regret selling.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is she 1.3 in the log book laaaaaaaddddd :pac:

Well knowing that it left in dust a lot more powerfull cars then it, with engine smaller in some cases more then twice then competition. It was built by one fella himself, I would not really make these jokes about it.

Fantastic little machine. It's not in that picture, it is right behind me when I was taking that picture. My friend really likes Toyota :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Well seeing as though everyone else is, my previous chariot...

img0563uo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Don't need old pictures :)

248613_282597015195694_1715535192_n.jpg
    Taken by Dazza McKenna yesterday.

551736_10151250505408682_154409601_n.jpg
    Taken by Top Dog on Dec 30th.

408058_10151179530898682_151431841_n.jpg
    Taken Nov 11th.

599288_10150897217978682_1816909496_n.jpg
    Ah well, that's from last year and not here obviously.

532342_10150956938658682_1557680168_n.jpg

392503_10150656240968682_532740698_n.jpg
    The Rocco is a bit of a project. The other one, too :) Just a more complete one.

155244_462051633681_6879039_n.jpg

And then there's 3 other heaps flying around here, one being another ex-ESB Syncro T4, my old Caravelle, a Renault 19 16v, that's the engine donor for the Volvo and a motorbike. That's just the current stuff. Don't get me started on the stuff, that's gone.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

not fare lads. old car wave. I fecking miss my old boy so much. when i think that it is broken for parts and its carcass laying down somewhere in a ditch it makes me cry. :(

Why do you have a clock outside your house? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I miss the Accord :(

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement