Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You two need to get a room to sort out the tension between ye's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ba_barabus wrote: »
    You two need to get a room to sort out the tension between ye's
    What tension? Can't see any tension in here today.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Ok fair enough, but that highlights my point. It was fiat's decision to put an underpowered battery into the car.

So for example if you average Joe went and bought a new fiat punto back in the day and had it properly maintained from new. Now a few years later the battery goes all of a sudden(as they sometimes do) brining the ecu or eps with it.

Joe decides not to repair and instead puts the car on done deal as a fixer-upper. Someone in here spots it and posts a link. Another poster then will usually chime in with the Irish lack of maintenance argument without realising it wasn't Joe's fault and rather it was an error on the manufacturer's behalf instead.

Lack of maintenance can cause some issues like a bottom end rattle in a car that hasn't been serviced and is left run low in oil etc, but you don't see much of that in this country.

Imo the Irish lack of maintenance argument is blown way out of proportion.

Pretty much the nail on the head, average joe soap hasnt a clue and that was a silly decision by fiat

Joe soap also doesnt realise that a battery has a lifespan either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lack of maintenance can cause some issues like a bottom end rattle in a car that hasn't been serviced and is left run low in oil etc, but you don't see much of that in this country.

Imo the Irish lack of maintenance argument is blown way out of proportion.

If you take a good look around at the amount of Irish people that have no clue about the mechanics of a car, and have no interest in learning either.... it soon becomes very, very apparent why the "lack of maintenance" argument is used so often.

Irish people as a whole skimp on every bit of car maintenance required. Take a look here. Even tyres get run down to the wire and then replaced with chinese crap. "Services" happen when there's a problem after an NCT.

Couple that with cars like Alfas and Fiats which, even from factory, need a little bit more minding than some and you're already in trouble....

dgt wrote: »
    Pretty much the nail on the head, average joe soap hasnt a clue and that was a silly decision by fiat

Joe soap also doesnt realise that a battery has a lifespan either
    Tbh no average motorist in this country or anywhere else knows that much about cars and it wouldn't be expected of them really. However that doesn't mean that they don't maintain them. My point above was made with joe having maintained the car as per the fiat service schedule.

You are correct in saying that batteries do have a lifespan. However it's impossible to determine the lifespan of a battery. No two batteries(even the same make/model) will have the same lifespan. One battery could last ten years and another might only last four etc.

• Advertisement

If you take a good look around at the amount of Irish people that have no clue about the mechanics of a car, and have no interest in learning either.... it soon becomes very, very apparent why the "lack of maintenance" argument is used so often.

Irish people as a whole skimp on every bit of car maintenance required. Take a look here. Even tyres get run down to the wire and then replaced with chinese crap. "Services" happen when there's a problem after an NCT.

Couple that with cars like Alfas and Fiats which, even from factory, need a little bit more minding than some and you're already in trouble....
    The people you are on about don't represent the Irish as a "whole". The people you are on about do exist but not on the scale you describe and are not just in this country. If every one looked after their cars as you describe there would be far more sh1theaps around.

No average motorist needs to learn much in the way of mechanics. There is garages and mechanics around for a reason.

Also my argument about lack of maintenance was about things beyond the control of the owner or the person maintaining the car on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The people you are on about don't represent the Irish as a "whole".

I wish it was a different story, but I'm sorry to say, they really really do. Just look at NCT stats. over 50% failure rate in 2012 and 3 of the top 5 reasons were: Tyre condition, headlamp aim and blown bulbs. That's just the utmost basics of maintenance.

I've been in NCT centres when cars with rust holes in the floor and sills have failed, and the owner was completely oblivious. Even people that fail NCT on emissions don't try find and fix the problem, they just throw in dipetane so the car passes the test!

There are more than the fair share of shítheaps around, and tbh I'm surprised you're so oblivious to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Quit the whining lads and leave it at this - if it's got tits or tyres, it's going to give trouble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I see no car pics..???:rolleyes:

555082_10201270242411631_34945680_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dirty reg...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

[277177.jpg

There's one for ye :D

CianRyan wrote: »
    Dirty reg...

Taken spur of the moment in a car park in Dublin after a journey from the South :D

Dead fly baxtards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

YbFocus wrote: »

There's one for ye :D

I just spat coffee all over my Ipad........ya bollix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

That pisshat is made of want tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Taken spur of the moment in a car park in Dublin after a journey from the South :D

Dead fly baxtards!

Talk to 166man about dead flies, the man loves them. :pac:

Dirty reg...

Wonder did he sort the dings in the passenger door yet :D

Actually, perhaps the reg is still dirty from DGT's car :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

c29ed718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

That's my old baby :)

That pipe wasn't em. . piped, we used to place it in different spots in college on our cars for the reactions :D

I used to have a pic of a friends mk2 golf with one headlight removed and a huge mushroom filter on the end of the pipe :)

Sorry about the ipad pred :) it is quite a funny photo though :)

Talk to 166man about dead flies, the man loves them. :pac:

Exnay on the 166man-ay :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Exnay on the 166man-ay :P

some of us take our bans with grace, we don't name change to dodge them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

some of us take our bans with grace, we don't name change to dodge them :pac:

Ohh get wrecked! :pac:

It cleans up well :)
    Image1061.jpg

It passes the test :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »

That coin test doesn't count. You have to rev it :D:p

looks well though!

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    That coin test doesn't count. You have to rev it :D:p

looks well though!

If you want to rev it be my guest, the throttle is behind the visco fan..... :pac:

Speaking of revving, here's a fairly crappy reversing job by yours truly :o feckin garden

YbFocus wrote: »
    That's my old baby :)

That pipe wasn't em. . piped, we used to place it in different spots in college on our cars for the reactions :D

I used to have a pic of a friends mk2 golf with one headlight removed and a huge mushroom filter on the end of the pipe :)

Sorry about the ipad pred :) it is quite a funny photo though :)

I remember a few years ago some gentlemen were driving round Navan one Saturday night in a mk3 Golf, also 1 headlighted. Looked to have a drain pipe in its place :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I really only buy K&N Filters for the sweet stickers. :D

20131023_185954_zps29b65ac3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I really only buy K&N Filters for the sweet stickers. :D

Matt - do you find the k&N filters justify their cost?
    Edit - I am thinking of getting one for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Personally i'd go with ITG these days, the are a nicer filter but any decent panel filter is worth the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I've used K&N for years. They might be a bit more expensive initially, but if you're keeping a car for any length of time they are a good investment.
    They allow the engine to breath a bit more freely, just like Vic's Vapour Rub:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement