Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A poll for handgun owners

Options
  • 19-10-2005 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Just a little poll for all you lucky SOBs that have your handgun in your sweaty grasp.

Can I ask you to tell us where you got your gun?

I ask because of the difficulty I'm encountering trying to find somewhere that has some sort of stock of guns to look at and 'try for size.' I've spoken to a few of the usual suspects that regularly get mentioned here, but none of them appear to carry any stock. They can all order stuff out of a catalogue, but I'd kinda like to do a bit of window shopping before I commit a hatfull of money to something I might not like when (if) I get it.

Or, are all you early adapters experienced handgunners who knew what you wanted and it was merely a matter of finding the best deal somewhere and sorting out the paperwork?

Where did you buy your handgun? 19 votes

Republic of Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    Northern Ireland
    21% 4 votes
    European Union
    57% 11 votes
    Rest of the World
    21% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Getting your mitts on a variety of different handguns before you buy is the biggest step to helping you decide whats right for you.
    Obviously I'm the guy who voted "Rest of the world" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Thanks for that Babble, that's exactly the reason I'm looking for information.
    A recent bit of 'hands-on' experience with a few pistols shocked me when I found that these things aren't 'one size fits all' :eek:

I guess I should have known, after all I know that shotguns and rifles are very 'individual' items, but it was a bit of a surprise to find that handguns are even more so.

The problem here (so far as I can see), is that no-one carries any stock. This makes choosing something that fits somewhat awkward. You're kinda vaguely expected to make a considerable financial commitment to a firearm for which you may or may not get a licence, and which may or may not suit you if/when you finally get hold of it :(

It's not as if we can pop down to the shop and trade it for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

I cheated Rovi & popped into an indoor range in LA recently to answer the said question. I fired approx 100 rounds each on a Glock, Sig P226 and H&K USP9, all at the same type target & same distance, in order to ascertain which one "suited" me best.

I found it very hard to get tight groupings with the Glock, the Sig was beautiful & grouped well but I really found I was head & shoulders above the other two with the USP9 and able to place many shots on the bull - ergo that is what I will now apply for.

I'm not being funny but I don't think physically holding an unloaded handgun in a dealers shop is going to make the purchase any more informed.

If possible try to get a few shots on the guns that you are interested in from people at your range & you will get a much better feel for what suits you.

Smirky wrote:
    I cheated Rovi & popped into an indoor range in LA recently to answer the said question. I fired approx 100 rounds each on a Glock, Sig P226 and H&K USP9, all at the same type target & same distance, in order to ascertain which one "suited" me best.

I found it very hard to get tight groupings with the Glock, the Sig was beautiful & grouped well but I really found I was head & shoulders above the other two with the USP9 and able to place many shots on the bull - ergo that is what I will now apply for.
    That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do, but it looks like I'll have to go to the States to do it. Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily. :)
    Smirky wrote:
    I'm not being funny but I don't think physically holding an unloaded handgun in a dealers shop is going to make the purchase any more informed.
    It's better than just looking at pictures on the Internet or in a catalogue :D
    Smirky wrote:
    If possible try to get a few shots on the guns that you are interested in from people at your range & you will get a much better feel for what suits you.
    That's about the only option available to prospective pistol purchasers at the moment. People are (rightly!) cautious about handing over their hard earned pride and joy though. I'd gladly pay for ammunition, but as I don't have a licence, would I be making an illegal ammunition purchase? Would the gun owner be 'supplying a gun and ammunition for hire'?
    Would I be taking illegal possession of a firearm, and would the owner be guilty of letting it out of their control?

I know we give each other shots out of our rifles and shotguns all the time and that's part of the charm of range and club membership, but strictly speaking, no-one's supposed to possess or use a firearm unless they're licenced for it.
    It's hard to expect someone to 'give us a go' when they probably barely know me, and we have no idea who's watching.
    The whole 'handgun thing' is still very new here, and people are very cautious about rocking the boat and drawing attention on themselves.

Hmmmmmmmm......
    One from the 'Rest of the World' (thanks Babble :) ), two from the EU, FIVE from Northern Ireland, and only ONE from the Republic!

What does this say?
    Well, it says I should have specified that I was looking for information from Republic of Ireland based handgun owners, for a start :D

Interesting though that over 50% were purchased in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

A trip to the good ol USA is in order for you Rovi.It's the only place at the moment where you will be able to test the most firearms,with the least nonsenseical burrocratic hassle.Plus get the most hands on opinions,and experianced sales personel.Buying a gun is indeed a personal issue,buying a gun from a catalouge,is like hitching up with a mail order bride from exotic parts.Looks good in the pic,can be somthing totally different in the really real world.:D

A trip to the good ol USA is in order for you Rovi.It's the only place at the moment where you will be able to test the most firearms,with the least nonsenseical burrocratic hassle.Plus get the most hands on opinions,and experianced sales personel.
    Looks like it, doesn't it?
    Wonder if my buddies in Vermont want a visitor?
    Buying a gun is indeed a personal issue,buying a gun from a catalouge,is like hitching up with a mail order bride from exotic parts.Looks good in the pic, can be somthing totally different in the really real world.:D
    You've found that too, huh?
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clare gunner
    <snip> ......,is like hitching up with a mail order bride from exotic parts.Looks good in the pic, can be somthing totally different in the really real world.
    You've found that too, huh?

Aww c'mon Guys,:eek: :eek:

Less of the "Hands on" - personal experience stuff ..:o :o:o:o:o:o
    This is a family show ..(Well kinda..) :rolleyes:

Smirky wrote:

Well of course shooting is better then just holding, ideally you would walk in to your friendly neighborhood gun store, look in to the pistol cases handle a few and then walk up stairs to the range with some ammo.

Once pistols become common place it will be easier because you will have direct access to peoples experience with certain firearms.

I'm lucky because my range has over a thousand members and I would just put up a note on the notice board saying I want to try out a Desert Eagle in .50AE and I'm sure someone will let me try theirs. I also work 5 mins from a very large gun store with maybe 40/60 handguns in stock and I live 5mins from a gunstore with about 30/40 handguns in stock.

Also when I take a non license hold to the range they can legally shoot anything I have as long as I stay within arms reach of them. And for me to borrow a handgun is fairly easy I just need a temp permit to take it to my house from his/hers and then I can hold their gun as long as I like under my own paper work.
    The one license fits all scheme makes life easier, And the Canadians think they have it bad :rolleyes:

I hear ya Rovi! Alas there is no easy solution in Ireland. Your comments about the range & taking shots on other people's guns are absolutely valid but I dare say it is about the only alternative here in Ireland.

If you are seriously considering a trip to the States check out the local state law for your destination. I am just back from Chicago & I could not find a range to shoot on for love nor money as their laws are much stricter.

Also, when going to a range in the USA, go with another person. Unknown "Walk Ins" who come in on their own make ranges nervous as there is a higher risk of them going "postal" so to speak or indeed putting the gun to their own head. Sounds mad, but I had to convince the range to let me shoot on my own, despite having been there a few days previously with a local.

• Advertisement

The place to go for gun rentals is Vegas. There are 2 big rental ranges in town and one outside.

[
    If you are seriously considering a trip to the States check out the local state law for your destination. I am just back from Chicago & I could not find a range to shoot on for love nor money as their laws are much stricter.

WELL DONE!!! You couldnt have picked a more gun unfriendlier city than Chicago.Well, maybe Washington DC. Even the cops find it difficult to go shooting off duty there.I would suggest youse all go West or South.Go to Nevada, Arizona,or down South yall.like New Orleans or lousianna or Florida.They will welcome you with open arms on the ranges and you will have a cheap holiday,and help out some very decent people well known for Southern hospitality.:D

I hate to say this;but most of the cities where there is a big Irish pouplation are rather "anal" in their gun laws.Ditto for California and the Left coast.
    If you have to stay on the Red coast,go up to Vermont or Maine.They are pretty good states for them Damn Yankees.:D
    Also, when going to a range in the USA, go with another person. Unknown "Walk Ins" who come in on their own make ranges nervous as there is a higher risk of them going "postal" so to speak or indeed putting the gun to their own head.
    THATS NOVEL!Somone going postal on the firing range,I would put your chances of surviving that at two chances.Reminds me of the story you hear every year in the US of some dumbass who decides he will stickup a gun store.Think about that for a moment!!The outcome is usually predetermined. One to two dead stickup men.Happy gunstore owners!

@ Babble - yup visited the Las Vegas range too - "The Gun Store" fired the M16 & H&K MP5 machine guns, along with a few .45 automatics. Great fun, despite all the Yanks renting AK47's & "smokin Bin Laden's Ass" ie choosing targets that were full size pictures of certain well known Iraqi gentlemen!

On that range they have an armed Range Marshall that stays with each person the whole time you shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Hmmm ..

Only 16 votes in the poll..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Meclor

I've shot is several places in the US, <never in Ireland boo hoo>:(

LA, Seattle, Portland, Newark. I walked in on my own, no problems.

Do they have some kind of magic building system that we can't replicate over
    here, How come we can't have an indoor shooting range in a city!!!

I mean, the places are always sound proofed, and appear very safe on there. Is there a restriction on this kind of establishment in Ireland, does it say somewhere that the range need to be in the back and beyonds

jaycee wrote:
    Hmmm ..

Only 16 votes in the poll..:confused:
    But 17 places picked, so someone here has two handguns. Way cool! :D

16 responses isn't that bad anyhow, in my opinion. There are only a few hundred handgun licences in the country, and I'd expect that only a small section of those belong to 'Internet active' people. Of those, not all will have found boards.ie, and of those that have, not all will be active on the shooting forum.

Interesting though that 3 times as many pistols were purchased in the North as the South.
    It's all a bit inconclusive though, as I didn't specify that I was looking to find out where handgun owners in the Republic purchased their firearms. Babble kindly identified himself as one of the 'Rest of the World' voters, but I have no way of knowing how many of the other votes were from outside the Republic.

Ah well, I'll have to think things through a bit more before I post any more polls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are only a few hundred handgun licences in the country, and I'd expect that only a small section of those belong to 'Internet active' people. Of those, not all will have found boards.ie, and of those that have, not all will be active on the shooting forum.
    Damn! Time for an advertising drive so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Some what south of Vermont but starts with V.

Oh and the rest of the world.

Do they have some kind of magic building system that we can't replicate over
    here, How come we can't have an indoor shooting range in a city!!!

I mean, the places are always sound proofed, and appear very safe on there. Is there a restriction on this kind of establishment in Ireland, does it say somewhere that the range need to be in the back and beyonds[/QUOTE

Nah! It's just that no one has gottent the financial and testicular matter together to d this yet and we are proably waitinh as well to see what the CJB will bring.As there are rumours of all sorts flying about.
    Not only that, the real estate in our cities is now becoming prohibitive to build anything on a club size without charging stupid memership fees for rent or mortage and insurance and all the rest.Not to mind planning permssion.Plus no doubt you would have every sleaseball reporter hanging around tryin to get some two bit story on th place,like training ground for killers,etc.So until Irish shooters come out out of the cupboard so to speak.It isnt going to happen for awhile yet.But I just thought of a new slogan for us.
    I am a shooter and PROUD OF IT!:D [Not very original,but it is 01:30 in the AM]

Advertisement