Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys not giving me web

Options
  • 19-10-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Am stumped n this one and comms aint my thing.

Had NTL BB router in old house going into a linksys wrt54g. Thing worked perfectly. Practically no dickying with the linksys and had web access through wireless and one of the 4 ethernet ports out of the linksys.

Moved house and had to go with esat. Have their router now, which I can get web access from by jacking in through their zyxel router ethernets port. However, when I run the linksys off this and my laptop off the linksys, I cant get web access.

I can open the linksys' admin page and can see the IP is being assigned to the router 192.168.1.33 (which is the same as the IP which is assigned to my laptop when I use it) , and the linksys is assigning the laptop an IP of 192.168.1.100 so thats alright. But no joy on getting web access.

I got on to linksys support, they were pretty useless and just said try resetting their router. No joy there. I got on to ESAT and to be fair, the guy talked like he knew his stuff and said it was probably the fact I had DHCP enabled on the linksys and to disable it as their zyxel would handle IP assigning as I would have 2 DHCP servers running otherwise. I did this but still no joy. theirs a ton of settings on the linksys that I dont understand and probably dont need to but its more then likely one of them.

Any ideas?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Try setting static IP addresses (sp?)

Settings should be:

IP range - 192.168.1.100 up to 192.168.1.250 (think that upper limit is right, confirm on Linksys support)
    Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway - 192.168.1.1
    Preferred DNS server - 194.125.2.240
    Secondary DNS server - 194.125.2.241

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

hi,
    thanks for the suggestion..
    I tried the static IP approach and it didnt work.
    If the linksys isnt giving me an IP as DHCP is off, then in theory shouldnt the ESAT router give me one if that has DHCP on? If that is the case, and its not giving me an IP, then I need to find a way for my laptop to see the ESATs routers DHCP server. All meaning that I shouldnt have to set a static IP.

oh I dunno, Im probably talking ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

'Fraid I'm not techy enough to answer that. All I know is I have the BT modem set to bridging mode, and static IPs set on all my network devices. Works for me (but took about two weeks to get it sorted).

There was a thread on something similar about two months ago, try searching to see if that throws up any clues.

Advertisement