Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WLAN is working but not with broadband

• 19-10-2005 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having major trouble trying to setup my uncles wireless LAN for broadband. He's signed up to ilDana broadband as he's a bit outside Maynooth and hasn't got any other options. It's satellite broadband so the receiver is in the attic and CAT5 cable is running down into the D-Link DSL-G604T in the first ethernet connection. It was setup initially by a guy from ilDana but he only made a stab at it and left it half working. Basically the WLAN portion of the setup works but isn't broadcasting the net connection. I can see and connect to a second computer in another room but trying to connect to the net fails. When I plug the ethernet cable directly into this laptop the net runs fine so I know the broadband signal is OK, it's just the way the router is handling it.

What's even more baffling is the fact that it was working before on the second computer with a USB dongle but is not now. I'm seriously stumped from here so I'd appreciate any help to get the problem sorted.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Sorry to bump this but does anyone have any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are you using DHCP or Static for the wireless NIC? What IP address,subnet mask,etc. is presented?
    NAT in used/enabled?
    Disable firewalls on the PC and test - can you at check that you can ping the router OK (default: 192.168.0.1 AFAIK)
    what PPPoE settings are presented in the router config?

Why not just get the git to come back out and install it completely? or just ring them even? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Karoma wrote:
    Why not just get the git to come back out and install it completely? or just ring them even? :)

OP said that if he bypasses router then the BB connection works fine. So its prob not in the remit of ilDana to fix the router prob.

To OP: I'd reset router to the factory settings. Then set my PC to have static ip address of 192.168.0.100 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Then connect to router using a ethernet cable and access 192.168.0.1 in my browser. Then follow the user guide to configure router. Its possible that since the BB connection is working fine, the router is not configured correctly. Hence being able to connect to router but not to the net.

Thought that they may have provided "the D-Link DSL-G604T".
    *shrug*
    back to the start..sounds about the right thing to try.

Cheers lads. I'll give this a go when I'm out there next and be back in touch. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag this back up but I'm only getting to try it again now. Yes, the broadband is working grand when plugged directly into the laptop AND when it's plugged in by cable through the router.

My problem now is that I can't connect to the router at all. I've attached the results of the ipconfig that I ran but I think the address of the router has changed somehow. It now seems to be 172.30.1.1 :confused: but when I connect to that it pops up a authentication box and the default "admin", "admin" combo doesnt work. I then tried to reset the router figuring it would go back to factory settings but the LEDs go off and then seem to reset but nothing changes and the IP is still 172.30.1.1. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm getting seriously frustrated at this stage. Cheers.

It didn't reset mefinks: while the router's switched on, use a paperclip tol hold down the Reset "button" (hole usually) for about 5 seconds..
    it'll reset to 192.168.0.1, and subnet mask of 255.0.0.0
    admin and admin should allow admin access.

Karoma wrote:
    It didn't reset mefinks: while the router's switched on, use a paperclip tol hold down the Reset "button" (hole usually) for about 5 seconds..
    it'll reset to 192.168.0.1, and subnet mask of 255.0.0.0
    admin and admin should allow admin access.

I've brought it over to my place to check the setup on it. It definitely "looked" like it reset with the WLAN light going off for about 5 seconds and then coming back on. Will have more on it later on. Cheers for the help.

Advertisement