Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rappers

• 19-10-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

Hey

I was listening to the radio today and twice today there was a piece on these two guys from ballymun who rap. I was wondering if anyone knows what they are called? or their names? or if anyone heard it? i mean to be honest they were a lot better than so many of Irish rappers floating about!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

they were lunatic and 4 real from a group called urban intelligence

heres their web site http://www.workingclassrecords.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 the dice man

JoeSchmoe wrote:

"1st Prize:
    2 Fights to a European City and €100"

great website, although i won't like to win two fights in any european city :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

a few ballymun rappers were on stage before the nas concert they were alrite but rap doesnt sound right with that accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

@MikeTyson give it a chance. You're just so used to hearing American accents it sounds stramge rapping in a different accent.

Has anyone bought the Collie - Is Ainm Dom album? He raps in Irish and English with a very Dublin accent. Bit reminiscent of Scary Éire's Dole-Q but deadly none-the-less.

Do Urban Intelligence have any cd's for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah they have an EP. You can get it in Tower Records.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 White Noise

lads ye should all go out and buy the homemade bombs mixtape in tower. it's the 1st irish hiphop mixtape and has a rake of savage mc's on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Yeh man,they got skills.

Anyone know who is producing their beats? Who's their DJ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I saw Collie supporting Jeru in Rí-Rá recently, couldn't make out a single word he was saying. Partly due to the fact that the beat was far louder than his vocals and also because he was practically eating his mic.

Fidelis wrote:
    I saw Collie supporting Jeru in Rí-Rá recently, couldn't make out a single word he was saying. Partly due to the fact that the beat was far louder than his vocals and also because he was practically eating his mic.

Yeah he needs a decent sound manager or whatever you call them. But with enough exposure he could be the Irish Eminem and bootstrap the industry here in Ireland get needed money and exposure etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

God no!!!I don't care if he is Irish,he can't rap or write.The Irish Enimem???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote:
    God no!!!I don't care if he is Irish,he can't rap or write.The Irish Enimem???:rolleyes:

I can't stop listening to his cd! Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he can't shine a light on the Irish Rap scene.

Look at M&M he's a twat all he can rap about is his family but he has brought a new generation into the rap scene. From him they will go on to explore other rappers etc.

We need someone who is scandalous and that will get a lot of air-time and press coverage. Who else is there? We're about 10 - 20yrs behind the UK scene, we haven't got as big user base .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

We're about 10-20 years behind the rest of the world, not just England. I've heard Finnish rappers that are light years ahead of the Irish ones. The only really talented Irish MC I've heard yet is MJ. Don't get me wrong, I'll go to the shows and sh!t just to give some support but the Irish scene isn't going to produce any really world class MC's for another couple of years.
    And by that stage, MTV might have found another genre to pimp to the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

We're about 10-20 years behind the rest of the world, not just England. I've heard Finnish rappers that are light years ahead of the Irish ones. The only really talented Irish MC I've heard yet is MJ. Don't get me wrong, I'll go to the shows and sh!t just to give some support but the Irish scene isn't going to produce any really world class MC's for another couple of years.
    And by that stage, MTV might have found another genre to pimp to the kids.

I'm Irish & I'm already gettin that exposure & will be droppin a mixtape with some guest spots with some US artists........ all irish rappers aren't what you hear from the hiphop ireland guys (no dis.)....

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I don't mean in terms of exposure, I mean in terms of quality. 50 Cent has exposure but that doesn't mean he's producing top quality hip hop or advancing the genre in any way. Not trying to be a wanker about Irish mcs, I've got a lot of respect for them. If Ireland does ever produce world beating mcs it'll be because they laid the foundations for it.
    Good luck with the mixtape :)

I don't mean in terms of exposure, I mean in terms of quality. 50 Cent has exposure but that doesn't mean he's producing top quality hip hop or advancing the genre in any way. Not trying to be a wanker about Irish mcs, I've got a lot of respect for them. If Ireland does ever produce world beating mcs it'll be because they laid the foundations for it.
    Good luck with the mixtape :)

Quality is there - otherwise I wouldn't be doing work with Crooked I (who is considered one of the ILLEST MC's)... even he loved what I was putting out, & really digged my flow...... same with SKG & a few others who've been checkin my stuff out.... but thankz for the well wishes man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

jaqian wrote:
    I can't stop listening to his cd! Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he can't shine a light on the Irish Rap scene.

Look at M&M he's a twat all he can rap about is his family but he has brought a new generation into the rap scene. From him they will go on to explore other rappers etc.

We need someone who is scandalous and that will get a lot of air-time and press coverage. Who else is there? We're about 10 - 20yrs behind the UK scene, we haven't got as big user base .

Umm Eminem at his brief best,a brilliant lyricist and technically excellent rapper.He murdered Jigga on his own track for christ sakes.

Collie on the other hand is just...:rolleyes: And I'd rather a decent rapper pioneer Irish Hip-Hop,but maybe I'm just wierd like that.

Anyway if were 10 years behind the UK then were a miilion years behind the US.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Soupi

Orizio wrote:

i totally agree, i don't think he's good at all and i cringe at the thought of him pioneering irish rap. my boyfriend bought the homemade bombs mixtape and there were a few good tunes on it but they still have a very long way to come.

my boyfriend raps but he's very fussy and he hasn't heard anyone that he thinks is good enough to rap with, he's just not feeling any of them. i hate when i see irish rappers who have no flow and who's rhymes are totally crap (not dissin anyone, it's not necessarily their fault) and they're up on the stage giving it socks and they think they're brilliant.

ireland needs someone to take them by the hand and give them everything they need to be brilliant mc's. the beats are defo there but it's the guidance that they're missing. it gives irish rap a bad name and that's why you have so many people dissing it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Homemade bombs is criminal is so bad. There was nothing on there save MJEX that anywhere near being actually good, not just good for Ireland. But actually good.

bombidol wrote:
    Homemade bombs is criminal is so bad. There was nothing on there save MJEX that anywhere near being actually good, not just good for Ireland. But actually good.

the problem is that irish rappers are giving irish rap a bad name and good rappers are embarassed because of the way people feel about irish rap.

people are so used to hearing american rap that they don't want to even consider any other variations or accents when theyl listen to it,then on the other hand you have people that will just support irish rap for the sake of it without even considering whether the rapper has got skillz or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i picked up home made bombs and collie's album. yeah theres some nice beats and some decent mcs on home made bombs, but some of it is extremely poor. the female mc sinisista stood out as particularly poor. I do have some respect for collie's album though, theres some smart lyrics and it made me laugh. he's stayed true to his Irish/Dublin roots with the language and the humour and doesn't try to fill his rhymes up with wannabe american slang. some of it is not great but i think its a pretty solid effort.

• Advertisement

as far as i know sinista is only 15-16 so she's quite young,i'd give her a bit of time and a bit of guidance and i'd say she'd be quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

ven0m wrote:
    Quality is there - otherwise I wouldn't be doing work with Crooked I (who is considered one of the ILLEST MC's)... even he loved what I was putting out, & really digged my flow...... same with SKG & a few others who've been checkin my stuff out.... but thankz for the well wishes man!!!

so when/where can we hear your stuff?

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    so when/where can we hear your stuff?

I'm postin some basic demos here - bear in mind these are pre-production, so I can see what I wanna change etc in the tracks musically & lyrically... (no way I'm droppin any of the material currently in production, cos there's money in behind that & a deal in place for that)

http://rapidshare.de/files/6886472/Amen-Ra_-_The_Way_I_Am__BASIC_DEMO_.mp3.html

http://www.hoodstars.net/dmo/amenra-takinubacc.mp3

http://www.hoodstars.net/dmo/amenra-aintnoneofyallbetter.mp3

http://www.hoodstars.net/dmo/amenra-watchnlearn.mp3

http://www.hoodstars.net/dmo/amenra-weready4war_ft_crookedi.mp3

http://df05.dot5hosting.com/~petersta/crookedi_me_against_the_world_ft_2pac_amen-ra.mp3

http://www.hoodstars.net/dmo/amenra-hoodstars.mp3

MODS: I'm a part-owner in HoodStars.net & am in ownership of correct copyrights/usage of the music above.... (since I am the artist!)

are you american ven0m?

Soupi wrote:
    are you american ven0m?

no, lived there for a long long time - have american relatives & friends

you sound very american when u rap.is there an american twang off your accent?

Soupi wrote:
    you sound very american when u rap.is there an american twang off your accent?

Yes & I constantly cop flack for it - have had years of catchin heat over it....

i prefer irish rap that sounds irish.why don't you do it in an irish accent

Soupi wrote:
    i prefer irish rap that sounds irish.why don't you do it in an irish accent

Maybe because thats his accent?

Venom there seems to be a problem with downloading Yallbetter. Btw is Amenra your nick for hip-hop?

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote:
    Maybe because thats his accent?

exactly - I talk how I talk & thats the kinda attitude (what soupi said) is what I've heard none stop for years - I've been doin this for damn near 10 years. I sound how I sound, American artists don't got a problem with it neither do UK artists who I been gettin to do some work with. All they all care about is how my flow is, whether I can keep it 'clever' & thats just how I'm gonna keep it.....

Yeah - Amen-Ra is my stage name

fixed the file on the server, had it misnamed up there.... should be able to access it now... thanks for checkin my stuff out

Advertisement