Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Corpo Tax Disk Scam (probably to pay for Eyre Square)

Options
  • 20-10-2005 1:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if this is contracted out like clampers or is done in house but Galway corpo have a really excellent scam to raise revenue especially from the shoppers and tourists at the weekends . Eyre Square must be paid for after all. :(

Normally if you tax disk runs out on your car ...say 30th of September.... you are then in a grace period of one month to get a new one and you should have it by 31st october after which you can be done for not having a correct tax disk displayed . There is no real legal basis for the grace period save to stop the courts from collapsing . No guard will do you during the grace month .

Galway Corpos Secret Revenue Squad now prowl Galway City streets and Galway Corpos OWN CAR PARKS ...like the ones you are already paying Galway Corpo your money to use by the hour ......looking for expired tax disks and they allow no grace period at all. The ones I know of were in shopping at the weekend and then got letters from the corpo demanding money . The boys just go around with a clipboard noting numbers . No tickets are ever issued , they simply look up the car owners on the computer in Shannon back in the office and send an immediate €60 demand for the money with court cases threatened thereafter. They figure that most people will pay €60 whether the demand is sent out during the grace period or not....a solicitors letter will cost €20 after all if you want to tell them to fuk off .

Do not come to Galway City with a car if your tax disk is not up to date and displayed on the windscreen or it could cost you €60 (or multiples of €60) just for being there.

I am not sure if the corpo bothered to tell their own councillors about this scam either but the shops who pay the rates will not be happy about it come christmas I'd say. Non display of NCT disk will also get you a ticket I think so you could be double whammied .

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've never heard of a grace period for tax. Tax runs out at the start of a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

well there is a grace period of one month to allow for disks in the post etc. Ask any guard. l

Letter from some poor bastard who got mugged by Galway Corpo (2 separate fines within 7 minutes for the same expired parking violation) , no ticket isued for one of them so the first he knew about it was a court summons.

His 'offence' happened in July , that letter is in todays Advertiser if you have a look .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

When I was living in Naas years ago the traffic wardens were lethal over tax and it was a £50 fine at the time.You definitely wouldn't get any grace.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But you probably got a single ticket in Nass , the Galway model is paperless and double your money .

Advertisement