Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Una O'Hagan

• 20-10-2005 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Six-eight weeks without her during new autumn schedule primetime, it now looks like Una is permanently gone from Six One. Sharon it seems is being groomed as RTÉ's female newsreading 'star' of the future.
    Anyone else shocked, or at least dismayed at Una's leaving Six One?

Why has there not been so much a whisper about this in the media; it's a major shift by RTÉ. Una's been presenting the Six One with Bryan Dobson for at least seven years now, if not since 1997.

Do people think Ní Bheoláin has the qualities and competencies of a primetime newsreader? What of the imbalance in ages between her and Dobson?
    And what of poor Una? Was she forced to leave, or did she go of her own accord?
    After seven years presenting RTÉ's flagship news bulletin, what is in my view probably RTÉ's finest female newsreader is now back doing the graveyard shift of late night television summaries and radio bulletins :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Eh, why so upset? It's like worrying about who serves you behind the counter in Spar. It doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

perhaps she didnt want to do it anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Do people think Ní Bheoláin has the qualities and competencies of a primetime newsreader?
    Absolutely ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i'm voting with my pants, ní bheoláin all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Eh, why so upset? It's like worrying about who serves you behind the counter in Spar. It doesn't matter.

Well when you think of the news coverage that Grainne Seoige got for just moving to Sky News.

Yeah I think Una O'Hagan is one of the best Newscasters in this country and is total underrated.

Why not replace Bryan Dobson with Sharon instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The older gent/younger female dynamic is popular across the world with news coverage. Maybe RTE are going to try that, though Dobbo is not that old really.

I'd like to see less Anne Doyle and her over active eye-brow raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

What?!! That's a television classic! You can read so much into her eyebrow raises - only regular viewers can understand the code, and hence knowingly smirk to one's self accordingly :D

Doyle is a very inconsistant newsreader - some night's she's great and others she's utterly useless. Likewise some 'interviews' she conducts can be excellent - quite confrontational when she gets going like with Bertie on Budget day two years ago, but on so many other occasions she comes across as incredibly contrived, reading the questions straight off her scripts.
    Again sometimes she's great on cues, but for the most part frankly is useless.

She's a mixed bag, but her 'classic' status pulls her above most newsreaders, even if it's a superficial status at times.
    Pigman II wrote:
    Eh, why so upset? It's like worrying about who serves you behind the counter in Spar.

lol :D
    As much as I'd disagree, that's quite hilarious - a certain logic in there alright :)

No way ought Dobson be replaced - he's the best RTÉ has full stop. He gets a bit jiggy at times in shot, and he tends to slur the odd sentence very mildly, but his articulate speech, neutral accent and of course his fantastic journalistc competence in dealing with absolutely any situation, interview or event stands him miles ahead above everyone else in RTÉ.

Una paired very well with him - Ní Bheoláin just comes across as the token younger female, just like so many other paired news bulletins around the world., chucked in for a bit of attractive fluff.
    I think it looks cheesy. It wouldn't be so bad if Sharon had the competence, but she often doesn't. She tries too hard, is too earnest, her voice is harsh and unstable, and she's often useless at interviews.
    No doubt she'll improve with time, but O'Hagan is a great loss.

To put her in context, Bryan used to present the Nine in the early to mid 90s, while Anne Doyle and Eamonn Lawlor did Six One. When Lawlor left for Prime time I think, Doyle moved to the Nine in 1997, and a new team of Dobson and O'Hagan moved to Six One. They were presenting it for eight years!
    You might say it was time for a bit of change, but certainly not at O'Hagan's, and hence the audience's expense :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i can't put the name and face together got a pic?

i woudn't discredit ni bheloin by saying she's a bit of fluff like you have but she does seem to shout

Here ya go:

Una.jpg

She looks a bit Mammyish really, which makes her all the more appealling in a way :)
    She has the most perfect speech, delivery and accent - really superb.

Agreed about Sharon not being a bit of fluff really - she's more than capable, superb in fact on that Turas Teanga programme, but comes across as a bit tokenistic on Six One - especially next to Bryan.
    Saying that, she was very professional coming from the Ploughing Championships, so she certainly can stand on her own two feet.

Just she was really appalling on News On Two doing interviews - so earnest, so eager to come across as if she had the faintest idea what she was talking about, reading questions right off her script, stumbling over phrasing, cocking up autocue links (as she still does) and shouting at the camera all the time (as she also still does).

I think it's only because she isn't given as many opportunities on Six One to cock up that she seems to be better on Six One, raher than her actually improving. Her (hilarious) choking fit last week during a story, causing her to pass it over to Bryan instead is an example I think of an unstable voice. She shouts it seems as if to compensate for this, as well as to come across as more 'professional', as if shouting makes a story more poingnant or worthy of our attention :rolleyes:

She's alright - competent and attractive, but by no means the best RTÉ has.

Just for you SprostonGreen, here's Anne and her 'knowing look' ;)

AnneTilt.jpg

Think she likes you....

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I also miss O'Hagan. An excellent reader with clear diction. Dobson is excellent at his job too. Ni Bheolain is ok, but nowhere near as good as O'Hagan. Not to put her down, but I think she was better suited to News2. Yer man Anthony Murnane seems equally at ease with the serious role on RTE1 and more relaxed RTE2 format.

• Advertisement

Could not agree more about Murnane. If there is one person to eventually take over from Dobson, or Doyle on the Nine it is him.
    Admittedly that vast expanse of shiny baldy head can get a bit much at times :), but his deliverance and diction is just superb - a fine newsreader.

He gets a bit giddy on News on Two, but on mainstream bulletins he adopts the perfect tone, coming across authoritative, yet relaxed and friendly - just like Dobson. The perfect candidate for one of RTÉ's staple positions going into the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Was there any reason given for Una not doing the 6:01 slot? She did have a dodgy hair style going on there, so maybe she's just waiting for it to grow back?

Don't think Sharon is ready for the main news.

LMAO at Anne's knowing look. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think Ní Bheoláin is an average newsreader, at best. She'd be perfect for RTÉ Two, or the lunchtime or afternoon news bulletins, but having her present the flagship Six-One programme is a joke. Una O'Hagan is by far the best newsreader in RTÉ and her departure from Six-One is a great shame.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Aengus MacGrianna. He mightn't be the most authoritative newsreader, but the guy speaks well and exudes style. Everything from the perma-tan to the inappropriate occasional goatee beard, to the expensive looking striped-but-camp suits. He's a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah his pinstripe suits are class! He's a quality newsreader too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Anyone know the date of the choking fit so we can check it out online? Love news goof ups :)

Ray777 wrote:
    the guy speaks well and exudes style.

This...this...this is a joke yes? :eek:

He is without doubt the worst newsreader in Western Europe. His stutterings, his stumblings, his slurrings, his mispronunciations, his utter inability to state more than three words clearly, his robot-like deliverance, his embarrassment-inducing desperate efforts to sound natural during links - need I go on?!!

Yes his pinstripes most certainly are feckin awful, as is his bronzed skin and so-glossy-it-blinds greasy hair - he ought to be fired from the station, plain and simple. The only reson he is employed is because he can speak fluent Irish. If this little clip of him (originally posted by doh.ie) doesn't sum him up, nothing does:

(watch till the very first story after the titles :))

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0119/1news/1news56.smil

Here you go Wheels - I'm a sucker for the cock-ups too :D

Scroll to about 28.35:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2082758.smil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think MacGrianna's occasional stumbling and look of discomfort just adds to his character. And of course, I can't think of a newsreader with a braver dress-sense. :cool:

Ken Hammond is another good one. A good, old-fashioned newsreader, with a perfect accent. It's a pity he's normally relegated to the graveyard slots.

Indeed - think 'distinguished' just about sums him up.
    A really great newsreader with a lovely rounded accent and tone.
    The only glitch is his lack of ability with 'interviews' - unfortunately he's just useless trying to come across as off-the-cuff. He reads questions straight off his pages half the time - if only he'd get over that hurdle he could easily take over the Nine during the summer. Get rid of boring old Dunne :)
    Ray777 wrote:
    I can't think of a newsreader with a braver dress-sense.

Ah now Anne Doyle has had a fair few eh, 'memorable' outfits in her time too - I recall half a cheetah wrapped around her neck on one occasion :eek: :)

Here you go Wheels - I'm a sucker for the cock-ups too :D

Scroll to about 28.35:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2082758.smil

Love it! Thanks a million :D

• Advertisement

Go on then - here's another :D

This shows how Una isn't immune to cock-ups either - even if it was entirely the gallery's fault, it still makes for entertaining viewing :)
    What's happening is that the story lined up in the programme's running order is different to that Una has on the autocue and her script, so she reads the wrong story. Also note the picture window is incorrect.

(scroll to about 10.45)
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2069147.smil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Has anyone considered that perhaps Una has just gone on holiday?

Are Bryan Dobson and Eamonn Lawlor not the same person?

I just want a pair of newsreaders that pronounce Dáil as "DAWiL" not "DOYLE" and Gardaí as "Gaar-dee" not "Gordy".

This is the whole point OFDM - Una's now doing the graveyard shifts on late night RTÉ One and Radio 1 :(

It's possible she just wanted out from the 6 o'clock constraints. Being in for about 2 o'clock and not leaving till way past 7 does afterall consume your entire day...

Agreed about those ghastly pronunciations - although the 'Gordy' in particular has largely been phased out. The 'Doyle' does still linger though :rolleyes:

Here's Lawlor (now on Lyric FM)

6-eamonn-94.jpg
    (www.thetvroom.com)

Go on then - here's another :D

This shows how Una isn't immune to cock-ups either - even if it was entirely the gallery's fault, it still makes for entertaining viewing :)
    What's happening is that the story lined up in the programme's running order is different to that Una has on the autocue and her script, so she reads the wrong story. Also note the picture window is incorrect.

(scroll to about 10.45)
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2069147.smil

Oh but she handled it like a pro! If it weren't for the hair I'd hug her.

heheh - unlike Sharon 'oh Daddy Bryan save me, save me' :D

Yes everyone seems to hate that hair - a constant butt of dinner table jokes in my house the poor woman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

Una was doing the 1.00 and 6.1 news for a couple of days last week and the 9 news again this evening. She is an absolute professional. I wish she was back doing the 6.1 with Brian. There seems to be a better atmosphere there when she is there than when Sharon is doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Christ people losing their jobs all over the country, the least of my worries would be a newsreader in RTE getting switched slots!

My 2 favourite newsreaders are from RTE although havent seen them in years, one is the guy with the beard and the other used to have a moustache before but shaved it off, think he still reads on the news. Cant even think of the first names of them! lol

Those links arent working for me either for some reason!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

The first guy, would that be Michael Murphy?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Christ people losing their jobs all over the country, the least of my worries would be a newsreader in RTE getting switched slots!

My 2 favourite newsreaders are from RTE although havent seen them in years, one is the guy with the beard and the other used to have a moustache before but shaved it off, think he still reads on the news. Cant even think of the first names of them! lol

Those links arent working for me either for some reason!!

Ken Hammond is the guy with the Moustache, he does the 1 o'clock news. The other guy enunciates eeeeeevvvv-reeeeeeeeeeee-tttthhh-inggggggggg.

The links don't work because this thread has been dug up from 2005

• Advertisement

The two people you are thinking of are Michael Murphy (the man with the beard) and Ken Hammond (the man with the mustashe shaven off. I dont know if Michael is still there but Ken still reads the news. Check the RTE website for last Saturdays and Sundays 9 o'clock news. Ken is a legend. He also does the late news summary which is broadcast from around 11.30 each evening. I dont know if he will be doing it this week as he was on it last week. He seems to do it on a week on week off basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CarDriver wrote: »
    The two people you are thinking of are Michael Murphy (the man with the beard) and Ken Hammond (the man with the mustashe shaven off. I dont know if Michael is still there but Ken still reads the news. Check the RTE website for last Saturdays and Sundays 9 o'clock news. Ken is a legend. He also does the late news summary which is broadcast from around 11.30 each evening. I dont know if he will be doing it this week as he was on it last week. He seems to do it on a week on week off basis.

Ken Hammond is definitley one alright. The other guy looked like my uncle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Check the date folks.
    ngug0i.jpg

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Check the date folks.

Do you not read my posts?*

*I know I shouldn't ask that question, I wait for the abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Elmo wrote: »
    The links don't work because this thread has been dug up from 2005

Actually, quite surprisingly those links do work.

They sure do. Still old or not the thread still has the same meaning as it did when Una did change from 6.1. I think she should be still put back on it fulltime.

• Advertisement

Telefís wrote: »
    Just for you SprostonGreen, here's Anne and her 'knowing look' ;)

AnneTilt.jpg

Think she likes you....

:p

Brilliant LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Una O'Hagan or Sharon Ní Bheoláin, there is no contest. Eileen Whelan not far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Una O'Hagan every time for me, Professional, at ease, Commanding, easy on the eye, and with a natural speaking voice > unlike Sharon Ni Bheolain who always seems slightly uneasy, (with a harsh gravelly voice), not 100% sure of herself, and with a whacky sense of dress sense too > and as for Sharon's make up :rolleyes:

Camelot wrote: »
    Una O'Hagan every time for me, Professional, at ease, Commanding, easy on the eye, and with a natural speaking voice > unlike Sharon Ni Bheolain who always seems slightly uneasy, (with a harsh gravelly voice), not 100% sure of herself, and with a whacky sense of dress sense too > and as for Sharon's make up :rolleyes:

I'd be thinking the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Kinda related question and probably answered elsewhere, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Has the Six One news always been a half hour long? Maybe I'm just losing it but I always thought it was closer to an hour? Is this a recent thing or am I just gone mad?

• Advertisement

It is only on for 30 minutes during the month of August as there are no courts sitting and the Dáil is on holidays.

It is only on for 30 minutes during the month of August as there are no courts sitting and the Dáil is on holidays.

in other words, go slow season on the news.

Exactly.

Things that go on outside the walls of the Dáil and Courts continue right through out the month of August. TV3 and RTÉ just seem disinterested in ordinary news stories.

Well it is the silly season.

Advertisement