Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you support England?

• 20-10-2005 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Now that Ireland are out of the World Cup will you be cheering England on instead?

Will you support England in the World Cup? 32 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No - Are you mad!!!!
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Who else is playing? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nah Holland man, there the team to support from Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I chap I know is under the impression that most people in Ireland will be cheering on England.

God bless his innocence. I'm going to support France as it's where I live.

"Mis leur sous pression" - Jacques Charlton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yeah i'll probably support england - although I really hate eriksson. Would like to see the liverpool lads do well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Hagar wrote:
    God bless his innocence. I'm going to support France as it's where I live.

"Mis leur sous pression" - Jacques Charlton
    Allez les Bleus!

On topic I don't think I will be supporting them as they're a bit too much of a circus for me, though on the other hand the tournaments are always a bit more interesting when they're still around.

All in all though I find too many of their players intensely irritating to really support them. Wishing Rio Ferdinand well? Spine chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Holland.....they supporter us in Japan/Korea so I am returning the favour!!:D

Cant listen to the English commentory for any of there games!! wonder what the odds are for how many times they mention '66....I seriously lost any fate with any UK TV commentory when watching the Rugby World Cup when England won! was watching RTE....flicked over to see if UTV had good pic and first thing I hear......."this is just like 1966!"....that was the last of me listening to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'll only back teams that are either tactically astute or play exciting football eg I was behind Greece and CzechRep in Euro2004

Therefore I probably won't be supporting England this time round.

Pigman II wrote:
    tactically astute or play exciting football

What you mean? thats Sven all over!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Probably go with the Dutch meself.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have tongo qualifed for the WC or Ghana. ? I will prob support one of the new nations. In 98 i took on the Jamicians, whilst my freind supported Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I will prob watch all the games that I can, I don't care who wins TBH, would like it to be an outsider but it's not likely.

Togo have qualifed, but not Tonga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I hate the media hype that surrounds them, so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Big Nelly wrote:
    Cant listen to the English commentory for any of there games!! wonder what the odds are for how many times they mention '66....I seriously lost any fate with any UK TV commentory when watching the Rugby World Cup when England won! was watching RTE....flicked over to see if UTV had good pic and first thing I hear......."this is just like 1966!"....that was the last of me listening to them

What is your problem with UK media mentioning 1966 ?
    It was a huge event in English sport, to date their gratest moment, so I'd only expect them to mention it during the RWC, or during any world cup soccer and rugby.
    If Ireland ever qualify for anything I'm quiet suer you will hear Irish commentators at our games mention Stuttgard in 88 and NY in 94 just as much as you will hear a UK commentator mention 1966 throughout a toutnamnet.

I can't remember the Dutch supporting us in Japan, enlightem me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Serbia and Montenegro and Spain (if they make it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Yeah i'll probably support england - although I really hate eriksson. Would like to see the liverpool lads do well though.

Puzzling:rolleyes:

To answer absolutely not........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

speriamo wrote:
    Puzzling:rolleyes:

To answer absolutely not........

Why is it puzzling to cntinue supporting the players you support week in week out?

Stekelly wrote:
    Why is it puzzling to cntinue supporting the players you support week in week out?

Chelsea for instance.

Stekelly wrote:

Well in fariness, if he supports a PL team well then by your reckoning he could support any team in the world due to the amount of foreigners playing there at the moment.

I watch La Liga matches every now and again, doesn't mean I will support Spain.

B.

• Advertisement

I'm not judging people one way or the other on the issue but when the old chestnut of "Why boo guys playing for England when you cheer them playing for their clubs?" the one thing that is always forgotten is that year round you ARE booing the vast majority of these players because they invariably play for your teams direct opposition. :)

What is your problem with UK media mentioning 1966 ?
    It was a huge event in English sport, to date their gratest moment, so I'd only expect them to mention it during the RWC, or during any world cup soccer and rugby.
    If Ireland ever qualify for anything I'm quiet suer you will hear Irish commentators at our games mention Stuttgard in 88 and NY in 94 just as much as you will hear a UK commentator mention 1966 throughout a toutnamnet.

I can't remember the Dutch supporting us in Japan, enlightem me.

First off do you hear the Germans/Dutch/any country going on about a trophy they won years ago??? I was in Holland for the whoel time when the Euro's was there and they never mentioned there win in 88 once during commentory!!! in regards to Ireland why you mentioning them not qualifying in this thread??? read the title first and dont start spouting!!! in regards to 88 and 94 I can't remember the last time I heard RTE mention those games during a match....can you???? can anyone?? want to hear mention of 66??? well go to the Denmark game and before the team had even got on the pitch it was mentioned twice! was only watching while waiting for RTE coverage of Ireland game to start!!

Well in regards to Dutch...I work in multinational company and as soon as Ireland qualified instead of Dutch they put up a huge banner of the Dutch flag with across it a smaller Ireland flag and wrote on it....Holland Supports Ireland in WC......so are you enlightened???????

BaZmO* wrote:
    Well in fariness, if he supports a PL team well then by your reckoning he could support any team in the world due to the amount of foreigners playing there at the moment.

I watch La Liga matches every now and again, doesn't mean I will support Spain.

B.

You can if you like. The ties are more solid because its an English team. I support Liverpool, who play in England. They dont become a spanish team just because they have a few spanish players and a manager. I hope they do well, and I'd like to see Carra and Gerrard get a medal (and warnock if he stays in the squad). These are the players I support every week, and the rest of the squad is made up of players I watch every week so I'd like to see them do well. If it was any other country bar England, everyone would support them, its just sad at this stage.

Big Nelly wrote:
    First off do you hear the Germans/Dutch/any country going on about a trophy they won years ago??? I was in Holland for the whoel time when the Euro's was there and they never mentioned there win in 88 once during commentory!!! in regards to Ireland why you mentioning them not qualifying in this thread??? read the title first and dont start spouting!!! in regards to 88 and 94 I can't remember the last time I heard RTE mention those games during a match....can you???? can anyone?? want to hear mention of 66??? well go to the Denmark game and before the team had even got on the pitch it was mentioned twice! was only watching while waiting for RTE coverage of Ireland game to start!!

Well in regards to Dutch...I work in multinational company and as soon as Ireland qualified instead of Dutch they put up a huge banner of the Dutch flag with across it a smaller Ireland flag and wrote on it....Holland Supports Ireland in WC......so are you enlightened???????

If we it we'd go on about it for decades. Its the only thing they've ever won so naturally they go on about it. Three years on and noboday can let Saipan go, and that was a bad event.Oh and another thing, its the media, their job is to big up the match/competition/training session they are talking about, and the best way to get people behind somethign is with a fond memory of sometign that happen ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i will be supporting england:rolleyes:

Stekelly wrote:
    You can if you like
    Exactly. It's about choice. It doesn't mean you're "sad" if you don't though.

Stekelly wrote:
    I hope they do well, and I'd like to see Carra and Gerrard get a medal (and warnock if he stays in the squad). These are the players I support every week, and the rest of the squad is made up of players I watch every week so I'd like to see them do well.
    By that reckoning you'll want a load of teams to do well? France, Spain, Germany, Australia, etc. etc.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

One of the teams I'd like to see qualify and do well is Spain. They don't seem to like each other much though, one problem the Dutchies always had. Van Basten cleverly made it his main priority to sort out a man who understands that a having a good team is far superior to have good players.

What are the chances of Eriksson taking note?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

BaZmO* wrote:
    By that reckoning you'll want a load of teams to do well? France, Spain, Germany, Australia, etc. etc.

B.

Its different. The likes of Carragher and Gerrard are among the longest serving members of the squad, they came up through the ranks. They embody the spirit of the club (and the city).

Of course we'd like to see other Liverpool players do well (apart from Australia.... damn you Kewell!! :p ). But the connection to the club is different.

Unfortunately for England - they have their best squad since Italia 90 coupled with their worst manager since (I was going to say Don Revie - but he's far worse than Revie) EVAR!!!

Stekelly wrote:
    If we it we'd go on about it for decades. Its the only thing they've ever won so naturally they go on about it. Three years on and noboday can let Saipan go, and that was a bad event.Oh and another thing, its the media, their job is to big up the match/competition/training session they are talking about, and the best way to get people behind somethign is with a fond memory of sometign that happen ages ago.

Thank you

Exactly what do people expect the British media to talk about, and I don't speak Dutch or German but I am sure that they do harp on about their glories, it's only natural.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'll be supporting Argentina as usual. But I hope the United lads do well, whoever they are playing for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big Nelly wrote:
    First off do you hear the Germans/Dutch/any country going on about a trophy they won years ago???

They (the Dutch) never shut the fluck up about the one they didn't win years ago ('74, when evil, boring Germany stole their World Cup, boo-****ity-hoo).

In 2002, they sulked for a while because talentless Ireland unjustly qualified from the group FIFA told them they were supposed to win, then started to outwardly pity the rest of the world for being denied the chance to see beautiful Dutch football (or a predictable round of in-fighting followed by an inglorious exit), then moved on to publicly flagellating the players for not caring enough about Oranje, before finally declaring that none of them cared about Holland either and they were all off to the beach to get a tan.

I really don't know who to support, apart from some newbie minnows. Maybe the Czechs or Argies or someone who plays good football and hasn't won the thing a gazillion times already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

I wont be supporting england for the plain reason that, I don't like the hype we will have to ENDURE for teh build up and during. It will be the same story we will win untill they get knocked out and we have the aftermath of the scapegoat on why they didnt win. Do you really want to be apart of that???

I dont but the Dutch probably because im in the Dutch part of belgium for a few months and just surrounded by dutch people all day. PLus there quite good!

They (the Dutch) never shut the fluck up about the one they didn't win years ago ('74, when evil, boring Germany stole their World Cup, boo-****ity-hoo).

In 2002, they sulked for a while because talentless Ireland unjustly qualified from the group FIFA told them they were supposed to win, then started to outwardly pity the rest of the world for being denied the chance to see beautiful Dutch football (or a predictable round of in-fighting followed by an inglorious exit), then moved on to publicly flagellating the players for not caring enough about Oranje, before finally declaring that none of them cared about Holland either and they were all off to the beach to get a tan.

I really don't know who to support, apart from some newbie minnows. Maybe the Czechs or Argies or someone who plays good football and hasn't won the thing a gazillion times already.

Was never in Eindhoven so maybe thats the way people are around you but was in Amsterdam, Den Hagg, zootermeer and Rotherdam and never seen this or heard this from the locals....also as mentioned above work with alot of Dutch and never heard them complain!! maybe your just talking to the wrong people???? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not a ****ing hope that I'll support england, ill be watching Ukraine because i've watched Shevchenko since his Kiev days with Rebrov. First World Cup finals for them and probably his last.

air_vent wrote:
    I wont be supporting england for the plain reason that, I don't like the hype we will have to ENDURE for teh build up and during. It will be the same story we will win untill they get knocked out and we have the aftermath of the scapegoat on why they didnt win. Do you really want to be apart of that???

So tell me, all this hype that you'll have to ENDURE, where will it be coming from?

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

air_vent wrote:

dont watch british tv and dont read british newspapers ie the irish sun,irish mirror,star:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was never in Eindhoven so maybe thats the way people are around you but was in Amsterdam, Den Hagg, zootermeer and Rotherdam and never seen this or heard this from the locals....

Maybe you did, but just didn't understand it :D
    also as mentioned above work with alot of Dutch and never heard them complain!! maybe your just talking to the wrong people???? :D

You work with Dutch people in Ireland, i.e. the ones that left ;)

You're right though, Brabanders are not a very good reflection of Hollanders in general.

Maybe you did, but just didn't understand it :D

In the red light district in Amsterdam they all spoke English....at night times it was actually hard to find a Dutch person there except for the school tours that used to pass through from time to time:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

If by some miracle Oz win their Playoff I'll support them. If not it's Togo:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    In the red light district in Amsterdam they all spoke English....at night times it was actually hard to find a Dutch person there except for the school tours that used to pass through from time to time:eek:

That's why ya gotta love the Dutch. :D

B.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    I support Liverpool, who play in England.

Why? Are you originally from there?

its just sad at this stage.

You're not wrong there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

personally I have always like watching Holland Portugal and Spain in these tournaments so there will be no change there.

I just had a horrible thought though next summer will be 40 years since 66, can you imagine all the "its the 40th anniversaire it must be a sign" and its held in the "old enemy's homeland" BLAH BLAH BLAH. ITV and BBC will be unbearable to watch :confused::o

yom 1 wrote:
    personally I have always like watching Holland Portugal and Spain in these tournaments so there will be no change there.

I just had a horrible thought though next summer will be 40 years since 66, can you imagine all the "its the 40th anniversaire it must be a sign" and its held in the "old enemy's homeland" BLAH BLAH BLAH. ITV and BBC will be unbearable to watch :confused::o

Best was a few weeks ago on "Your on Sky Sports" they said this was just like the lead up to the World Cup in 66 when Alf Ramsey was having problem with the press and the formation and went on to win the WC and this is what is happening with Sven now:D

yom 1 wrote:
    Why would bother watching English TV stations bigging up the English team if it bothered you that much?

B.

yom 1 wrote:

Don't watch them then !!!!

For the very reasons above I'd like to see England win, and if not them then Serbia, and if not them then Montenegro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

BaZmO* wrote:
    Why would bother watching English TV stations bigging up the English team if it bothered you that much?

B.

Cos even that beats the shambles that is RTE and TV3.

yom 1 wrote:
    Cos even that beats the shambles that is RTE and TV3.

RTEs coverage of CL and WC games is second to none in terms of it's analysts. If the game is crap they will say it's crap unlike the english stations.

Also it is hard to avoid all thier bluster and hype even if you dont watch their channels. Read the Irish papers next summer when all the copied articles from english papers will be in them. People in this country are obsessed with england. It's just another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well, as a man u fan, i like to see all the utd internationals playing well and doing well, so im not going to say that i hate england and i hope they get hammered. i hope the likes of rooney,neville,rio, richardson and smith have good world cups and not be made the fall guys like beckham and phil neville were in 98 and 2000, if/when england get knocked out. remember, alot of man utd fans, even hate their own national team, after the treatment beckham got, hence the chants in the months after, "stand up if you hate england", "stick you england up your a**e" and "argentina" (now sung to gabi heinze).

also, i would like to see holland do well and perhaps, they will be my team that i actually will support(thats if ruud and edwin avoid injuries). the teams i would "hate" to see do well are france, spain and italy, all 3 are a shower of cocky *****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would like to see either the Dutch or French win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I will support them as I would like to see the good players like rooney and lampard and gerrard have a great world cup. but ill be behind holland and japan and south korea too. once i see some good games with some shock results like snegal provided ill be happy. but once its not too easy for the brazilians. i hope they dont win it but theyre amazing atm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement