Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you support England?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No I wont be supporting England for the simple fact that they are way too cocky. All I hear on interviews on Sky Sports news or whatever is that England are going to win the World Cup etc etc and all I can do is cringe. Some people might say this is just confidence but it drives me nuts. Also for the reason that Big Nelly said because if they win the World Cup we will never hear the end of it! They are still harping on about '66 40 years later and never shut up about it.

I will be supporting Portugal and the Dutch, the two teams I always support when Ireland are not involved as they play very good football and I really like the dutch fans they are brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Kingp35 wrote:
    No I wont be supporting England for the simple fact that they are way too cocky. All I hear on interviews on Sky Sports news or whatever is that England are going to win the World Cup etc etc and all I can do is cringe.

I think you need to look at who exactly is cocky.
    If it's the players/management, it's a good level of confidence.
    I think all football players can be guilty of this.
    I agree the media (mostly tabloid press / sky news) hype it up beyond all control.
    However, I dont find the English public at all cocky. Of course many will go with the tabloids and get enthralled by it all, but many still doubt this current squad.

Besides, I think they deserve to be cocky because they know they have a team that could win the cup.
    Look back at the times when we were there.... we were as cocky as hell!! All our songs "and we'll really shake em up, when we win the world cup.. coz Ireland are the great football team".
    Me arse!!

The fact is, we just think England are so cocky because we get the spill-over of all the media hype being so close - we get their papers, see their TV etc...
    We dont notice it as much when we qualify... we have our own hype to go on then.
    If we were in any other country that qualified, we'd realise every other nation is probably just as cocky.

Come on England!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

whiskeyman wrote:
    Besides, I think they deserve to be cocky because they know they have a team that could win the cup.
    Look back at the times when we were there.... we were as cocky as hell!! All our songs "and we'll really shake em up, when we win the world cup.. coz Ireland are the great football team".
    Me arse!!

Ah yeah but did anyone in Ireland really believe we had a chance of winning the World Cup? I very much doubt it.

Maybe your right about the general public not being as cocky I cant really comment on that but I know that the media are and also a lot of ex players too. Sure you flick on sky sports news looking to get a decent story and they have top story as something like "Peter Reid thinks England will win the World Cup" or something along those lines. It just annoys me a bit because I look at their team and bad they have been playing and how ordinary they look yet they are still saying they are going to win. Its stuff like this that turns me off them tbh.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Sure you flick on sky sports news looking to get a decent story and they have top story as something like "Peter Reid thinks England will win the World Cup" or something along those lines. It just annoys me a bit because I look at their team and bad they have been playing and how ordinary they look yet they are still saying they are going to win. Its stuff like this that turns me off them tbh.
    Yeah, I see your point alright.
    The media love hyping it up, because it sells papers / gets ratings at the end of the day. This then influences the public and the players and management have no other option but to follow to trend - they'd be blasted for lack of confidence otherwise!

Ultimately, it must be a great feeling. Businesses in England will be rubbing their hands with glee when next summer comes along. The more talk, the better for them... and the public will love it.
    I only wish we could have it like them :(

whiskeyman wrote:
    Ultimately, it must be a great feeling. Businesses in England will be rubbing their hands with glee when next summer comes along. The more talk, the better for them... and the public will love it.
    I only wish we could have it like them :(

yeah I totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Kingp35 wrote:
    Sure you flick on sky sports news looking to get a decent story and they have top story as something like "Peter Reid thinks England will win the World Cup" or something along those lines.

The reason for that is cos there is just not enough sports new going around to justify a 24hr channel, so they put that sort of filler in it.
    The only time to watch Sky Sports New is just after the game son a Sat or CL game and get all the scores tables etc.
    the rest of the time it's just the same regurgiated (sp) s**t all day, and all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

BaZmO* wrote:
    So tell me, all this hype that you'll have to ENDURE, where will it be coming from?

B.

Where do you think England of course !!!!

I dont read english papers but if your going to watch tv for the world cup ( hopfully ill be in Germany and wont have this problem) which will be the usuall segments about how many england players trained today and what socks Beckham was wearing, the usual. I will watch the england games just like everything else, but the hype is too much to take somtimes admit that it is poxy!!!! But with Sven there they will not win !!!

Alot of people here will agree with that one in here me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

air_vent wrote:
    Where do you think England of course !!!!

I dont read english papers but if your going to watch tv for the world cup ( hopfully ill be in Germany and wont have this problem) which will be the usuall segments about how many england players trained today and what socks Beckham was wearing, the usual. I will watch the england games just like everything else, but the hype is too much to take somtimes admit that it is poxy!!!! But with Sven there they will not win !!!

Alot of people here will agree with that one in here me thinks.

Two points.

1) If you don't like what you're hearing from the English media talking about the English team don't listen to it. Simple

and

2) Do you really think te English press are the only ones that hype up their team or report incessantly about their every move?
    One word....Saipan. The whole of the country's media nearly wet themselves over that one. We can be just as bad.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

BaZmO* wrote:
    Two points.

1) If you don't like what you're hearing from the English media talking about the English team don't listen to it. Simple

and

2) Do you really think te English press are the only ones that hype up their team or report incessantly about their every move?
    One word....Saipan. The whole of the country's media nearly wet themselves over that one. We can be just as bad.

B.

I agree completly seem to be getting me wong here. as a result of us being in ireland we are flooded by english media we are of course going to hear about that by the bucket load, agree?

I dont intend on listening to it not by long shot doesnt mean I aint going to hear it all the time!!!

As for Siapan yes we were flooded with all that jive but I would tend to say and maybe im wrong here, but that was a bit different ,our best player apparently told the manager to F off you english C*** , and it raised the whole issue about how inept the FAI are. Compare this to how the Star and the Mirror and Sky will do their thing a blanket '66 and how they should win thing as per every event they do. ( even look at wimbeldon with Henman every year he is expected to win!!)
    As for the irish press and with regards Hearld (*SPIT*) and the star will do a similar thing if we were there but im my honest opinion it isnt anywhere near or close to the shear hype, and scapegoatism ( if that is a word) pearse southgate beckham anyone that is inflicted upon us??

Maybe im wrong in this opinion so feel free to pick at it!!

• Advertisement

air_vent wrote:
    As for the irish press and with regards Hearld (*SPIT*) and the star will do a similar thing if we were there but im my honest opinion it isnt anywhere near or close to the shear hype, and scapegoatism ( if that is a word) pearse southgate beckham anyone that is inflicted upon us??
    Well, they've a much better team and much better record in international competitions.
    No wonder they "hype" it as much as they do.... if we had won a WC, could progress well in qualifying rounds and tournaments... and could qualify with a game to spare, I'm sure the Herald et all would be wetting themselves.
    If they believe they can win.... fair play to them. Perhaps we should start getting into the same mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It'll have to be the team with the green, white and orange flag. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

er Yes.

I'll stick these on my parcel shelf next summer! ;)

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote:
    High five!

I too will be cheering on the Ivory Coast, despite having Medusa leading their attack. They've got the flag (more or less), and they've got Eboue and King Kolo.

The other teams i'm cheering on will depend on who is playing. I'll probably cheer on the Dutch because of Van Basten (legend). If Van Persie is getting his game I definately will, if he isn't and Van Nistelrooy and Robben are, i'm not so sure. If Reyes is playing for Spain i'll be routing for them, if not then I won't be bothered. Ditto France & Henry, Lehmann & Germany, Gilberto & Brazil etc.

But back on topic: I expect I will support England, 'cos I usually do. I'd like to see them do well, but on the other hand I'd love to see Sven crash and burn. Such conflicting feelings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think alot of people would have similar feelings Kaids, kind of like the joy of seeing Liverpool being thrashed 3-0 at half time, and then wiping the smug look off the Italian team's face in the second half.

Football, tis fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I will be supporting the United players like I always do at international events.

I'll probably be routing for Holland the most.
    Firstly cause Van Nist is playing for them and he is my favorite playing player atm. Also VDS, but mostly Van Nist.

I'll support England, if there is a strong United influence there.
    Gary Neville
    Rio Ferdinand(although he looks to have lost his spot)
    Beckham
    Rooney
    Richardson

That said, England has quite a few players i despise, so that'll cancel it out a little.

Argentina with Heinze will be cool.
    Portugal and Ronaldo

Holland though I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'd like to see England do well, but I will be up for Spain/France/Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

yeah i'll be rooting for em, having lived there and having had so many english mates/family i will (even though my english family won't be atall supporting them lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Support England instead?... Only if I am high on drugs.

I will be donning the shirt of every team England play against :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'll be cheering on England unless they come up against Brazil who for me are the most entertaining side in there. Or possibly against Italy as another team I love to watch play.

I'm hoping the United lads do well in the England squad. Even though there may be very few of them in there on current form (I will NOT be cheering for Ferdinand however, even if somehow he joined Strand United).

I'm looking forward to seeing Nakamura now for Japan. I'll also keep an eye on the 2 Polish lads (Boruc and Zurawski). Its amazing though that Slovakia are in the playoffs while their captain is struggling to make the Celtic reserves. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

eirebhoy wrote:
    Definitely. I think me and a couple of my mates are going for a week and we are extremely keen to get one of their games in. Bring the tri-colour and all.

Aside from that

- Holland, because I have lots of cash on them.
    - Spain, its got to be their year this year, right?
    - Sweden, I don't know why but I've developed a soft spot for them. Good bet for the semis I think.
    - All the African teams.
    - And I suppose England, mind you I wouldn't shed a tear to see them go out on penos in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

European teams I'll be rooting for in order:
    1. Italy - Forza Pirlo, Gattuso, Nesta and Gila
    2. Holland - Up the Oranje
    3. Ukraine - Finally Sheva gets to play in an international tournament
    4. Czech Republic - Still gutted for them after Euro 2004
    5. England - Should have reached the final in Euro 2004. I want to see them doing well because of the quality of the squad, but Sven pisses me off and I wouldn't be able to bear him becoming a hero....
    6. Spain - Rooted for them after they eliminated us in 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah I'll probably support England again this time.;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

well, as a man u fan, i like to see all the utd internationals playing well and doing well, so im not going to say that i hate england and i hope they get hammered. i hope the likes of rooney,neville,rio, richardson and smith have good world cups and not be made the fall guys like beckham and phil neville were in 98 and 2000, if/when england get knocked out. remember, alot of man utd fans, even hate their own national team, after the treatment beckham got, hence the chants in the months after, "stand up if you hate england", "stick you england up your a**e" and "argentina" (now sung to gabi heinze).
    Very true.

[*]England - Should have reached the final in Euro 2004. I want to see them doing well because of the quality of the squad, but Sven pisses me off and I wouldn't be able to bear him becoming a hero....
    Rooney should have reached the final of Euro 2004, the rest of the team were useless (with the exception of Ashley Cole probably).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

eirebhoy wrote:
    Rooney should have reached the final of Euro 2004, the rest of the team were useless (with the exception of Ashley Cole probably).
    Hmm, well they did struggle after Rooney's injury in the Portugal match. I still blame Sven for their defeat in that match. The few times they attacked the Portugese goal with intent, they scored or nearly scored! That's including the disallowed goal. I don't know how they would have fared against Greece in the Final, but I'm pretty certain that they would have beaten last years Dutch side easily.

I still blame Sven for their defeat in that match. The few times they attacked the Portugese goal with intent, they scored or nearly scored!
    Everyone blames the manager when a team sits back but more often than not its the psychology of the sport that plays the biggest part. If Ireland scored after 5 minutes in Paris we wouldn't be going on about this excellent performance but it wouldn't be Kerr's fault that its a players instinct to protect a lead while the opposition have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I hope they are knocked out in the group stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I hope they are knocked out in the group stages.

I'm gonna be supporting Norway if they get through. Was in Oslo a few weeks back and the people there were very polite and friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

My chosen countries are Ivory Coast, for obvious vexillogical reasons, and Mexico, who I am going to back each way. They are a very handy side and I reckon they might make the semi's if FIFA dont screw them to badly in the draw.

Advertisement