Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for taking a right turn

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Silvera wrote:
    In the same documentary they pulled over a cyclist and fined him ......for using his mobile phone ! :D
    You will never see that here as all cyclists strictly obey the laws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

delly wrote:
    As a sidenote, and since your talking about offences, your sig is in violation of the sig rules. Don't usually comment much on over the top sigs, but yours is a tad bit on the annoying side.

Pots, Kettles and a dark shade of white come to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

kbannon wrote:
    You will never see that here as all cyclists strictly obey the laws!

.....things might change when a certain boards.ie *cough* member soon dons his uniform !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

d22ontour wrote:
    I can't believe the replies saying end of month quotas and the guard was a b***ox etc.At the end of the day the op broke the law so admitting it is justified in the sense that he may learn not to be reckless in his get to work quicker antics.

Well i never really believed in quotas before but there was a guard who left the force on the late late show last night who admitted that there is an unoffical quota and if you dont give enough tickets by the end of the month you get called in and given out to so usually the last week of the month they have to try give tickets for things they wouldnt at the start of the month. As for the right turn thing well you shouldnt have admitted you did it on purpose thats looking for trouble ive done that before and just claimed I was lost and missed the sign even thought that was a complete lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

ambro25 wrote:
    Wrong answer. Should have stated you didn't see the sign as you were watching for traffic, or you just followed the car in front (if there was one).

End of month is nearing as well, quotas to meet = Gardai are always picking people up in these "no right turn between such hour and such hour" little streets at month end.

There's a bad one of these in D6, can't remember name but perpendicular to Ranelagh Road, as you're driving near the south canal, across from Dartmouth Road.

I have never seen a Gardai there at any other time but between 21-22nd and 30th of any month. Street is so narrow, once you're in you're f@cked (as usually there's someone turning into it right behind you so you can't back out) - every other commuter in the area takes it to get to Leeson St via Dartmouth Road. Sure-fire trap, avoid at all costs at end of month.

In that case he should get a fine for stupidity and or careless driving.

Is the road in Ranelagh you refer to is Northbrook Road where you can't turn right onto Ranelagh Road towards the city. However you can from Dartmouth Road parallel to it. Or is it the lane way opposite Dartmouth Rd?The reason for these no right turns is traffic management. Unfortunately those who don't oblige hold up everyone else. I haven't seen a copper at either ... they all seem to be outside the ministers residence further up the road texting each other. Given the lack or proactive and balanced policing in this country one wonders if quotas is the only way to get these guys out and enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

BrianD wrote:
    In that case he should get a fine for stupidity and or careless driving.
    :confused: - EDIT: got you now. Careless driving perhaps (though much paperwork, very doubtfully any cooperating witness (I wouldn't :twisted:), and onus of proof in Court on Gards, with charge based solely on single verbal admission = not likely for the Gard to see this through) As for stupidity, well, that's (i) a matter of personal judgement (ii) totally inappropriate to this situation (iii) and not chargeable, to boot :D I'd reserve that judgement very much, since we're here trying to avoid admission of wilful breach of Road Rules, not stating factual driving behaviour :rolleyes:
    BrianD wrote:
    Is the road in Ranelagh you refer to is Northbrook Road where you can't turn right onto Ranelagh Road towards the city. However you can from Dartmouth Road parallel to it. Or is it the lane way opposite Dartmouth Rd?The reason for these no right turns is traffic management. Unfortunately those who don't oblige hold up everyone else. I haven't seen a copper at either ... <snip>.

It's 'the lane way opposite Dartmouth Rd'. Coppers usually next to the Garage on left corner at "mini T-junction", when you turn in (illegally of course) from the road parallel to Ranelagh Road. Seen them there regularly at month end, though not yet this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

[QUOTE=ambro25
    It's 'the lane way opposite Dartmouth Rd'. Coppers usually next to the Garage on left corner at "mini T-junction", when you turn in (illegally of course) from the road parallel to Ranelagh Road. Seen them there regularly at month end, though not yet this month.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that from Mountpleasant Road a no right turn during rush hour only (or did you say that already)?

It's funny with Irish drivers the way they assume that PERSONAL needs overide the community needs e.g. it's ok to take that no right turn, use the bus lane, run a red light, overtake the stopped bus into oncoming traffic because can't you see I'm running late?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

BrianD wrote:
    Isn't that from Mountpleasant Road a no right turn during rush hour only (or did you say that already)?

Never noticed applicable times, tbh - but yeah, that's the one.
    BrianD wrote:
    It's funny with Irish drivers the way they assume that PERSONAL needs overide the community needs e.g. it's ok to take that no right turn, use the bus lane, run a red light, overtake the stopped bus into oncoming traffic because can't you see I'm running late?

You should expand that to anyone else's needs, really :D;)

Advertisement