Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal to noise ratio.

Options
  • 17-09-2001 4:37pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think people need to start to think about what they post and when they should or shouldnt post.

The forum is drowning in noise because some people insist on replying to almost every post and dragging the threads off topic with worthless prattle.

Can everyone stop before pushing the Submit button and ask yourselves: Does the forum REALLY need to read this.

If the IOFFL admins would like a forum where only IOFFL com'tee can post but everyone can read, then let me know.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by DeVore

The forum is drowning in noise because some people insist on replying to almost every post and dragging the threads off topic with worthless prattle.

I'm naming no names here, but you're damn right, and I intend as mod to stamp that kind of behaviour out and clean up this board properly.

If the IOFFL admins would like a forum where only IOFFL com'tee can post but everyone can read, then let me know.

DeV.

Sounds like a good idea to me, DeV - I'll discuss it with the rest of the committee and let you know.

I support you completely on your other comments above. There have been a few too many posts all on the same topic and I've had to merge a number of threads. I understand people's frustrations - in particular at Eircom, re: their ADSL "product" - but DO think a bit before you post... particularly about whether your post REALLY merits an entire thread of it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I agree with DeVore as well.

I very much suport your goals and would like to contribute what I can but as a newbie am reluctant to contribute to debates that are going all over the place and find tracking all the repettiive debates very time consuming. I guess you are vicitms of your own success with lots of new contributors coming on board thanks to your publicity coups.

I, for one, would be quite happy to view closed threads on key topics debates where I could just mail any input I have to the editor or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

what about having sub dirs on the ireland offline forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

While I wish to do everything I can to support IrelandOffline and if that means using a web board then so be it. However I think a lot of our problems regarding insensitive posts (America), duplicate posts (eg. Chorus pricelist) and general noise would be eliminated if we were using a moderated mailing list rather than a web board. It also strikes me as daft that as an organisation campaigning for cheaper access that we are using a web based bulletin board which requires you to be on-line all the time when reading and posting!

In addition, would a mailing list not increase our readership? Most people who have sent in their email to register support would probably subscribe to a mailing list or digest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by corkie
    See the irelandoffline website

That is an announce mailing list. A mailing list for discussion is a different thing. In any case, it is not being used effectively. Those that only use io-announce to follow our progress would not have heard about Eircom’s prices and would be unaware of the committees’ response because the press release was not posted to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

Hmm and what exactly would that achieve, anything that is important is left to full view and comment of the members,
    what you talkign about is an annoucements forums. which is a frair idea, but if people stop contributing new ideas then this place will die pretty fast.

committe members excluding bard probably make up less then 10% of posts here.

Its pretty pointless me talking, as everything i say is rejected out of hand, i suggested bard deleteing repeating topics 3 days ago, and got a nice flame for my trouble.
    i suggested a semi private forum afew months ago and go called nuts.

So i say go for it, its the only way your sure not to do it.

Originally posted by E-Hub
    Hmm and what exactly would that achieve, anything that is important is left to full view and comment of the members,
    what you talkign about is an annoucements forums. which is a frair idea, but if people stop contributing new ideas then this place will die pretty fast.

Any announcements we have to make are made here, on our web site and on our mailing list.

committe members excluding bard probably make up less then 10% of posts here.

While that's to be expected with over 1,000 signed-up members, it's really not a relevant point to be honest.

Its pretty pointless me talking, as everything i say is rejected out of hand, i suggested bard deleteing repeating topics 3 days ago, and got a nice flame for my trouble.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=31310

Fergus2 suggested it. You backed him up. I rejected the idea then because the number of threads about ADSL hadn't yet gotten out of hand. It has since gotten out of hand and I've been either deleting or merging superfluous threads, as I SAID I'd do in that thread.

i suggested a semi private forum afew months ago and go called nuts.

So i say go for it, its the only way your sure not to do it.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't remember you making that suggestion.

As for the open mailing list idea, it's personally not something I for one would use or promote.

why the **** do you allways do that to my posts, your nothing but a spa bard, and id love the chance to tell you to your face.
    Allso ive a pretty good idea were i know you from now.

Originally posted by E-Hub
    why the **** do you allways do that to my posts, your nothing but a spa bard, and id love the chance to tell you to your face.
    Allso ive a pretty good idea were i know you from now.

... said by E-Hub in the same thread as DeVore said:

Can everyone stop before pushing the Submit button and ask yourselves: Does the forum REALLY need to read this.

'nuff said really.

--

Why DO you continue to post like this? I'm not provoking you. What I did to your post was to reply to it piece by piece. I wasn't saying that anything you said was stupid. Yes, I was correcting you on a couple of points, but what the hell is wrong with that?

There was no need for you to respond in such an insulting and rude way. You're just digging yourself deeper..

--

By the way, you don't know me.

Now get over it, PLEASE.

This thread was started by DeVore asking people to "think about what they post and when they should or shouldnt post". You're obviously not doing that or you wouldn't have posted your last message, as quoted above.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

E-Hub: 55 (14.12 posts per day)

Nuff said.

DeV.

Devore, hanging around Onlie forums for 30 years, enough said.

and if you wanted a real guide to my posting habits, check out my old acount,

Bard because you do it in every single topic i reply to, at this stage people expect it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

e-hub = gladiator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

ok

some thoughts

1. Bard - As the moderator of the IOFFL board you are to a certain extent the public face of what is becoming a rather influential pressure group - and indeed to the casual visitor you are the only public face. As such, do you really consider such childish behaviour as this to be fitting? I doubt if I'm the only person who cringes to see you dragged into what are little more than playground fights. (and please - no "he started it!" defense)

2. Bard - Regarding the originator of the deletion / amalgamation of posts suggestion - your claim that Fergus2 suggested it. You backed him up. is incorrect. As can be seen by reading the thread, Fergus2 complained about the masses of repeated topics, and gladiator/e-hub suggested a reasonable solution to the problem. And was promptly dismissed out of hand.

3. E-Hub - There are better ways to make your point than by calling someone "a spa". You also should remember that IOFFL is trying to build a credible PR image, and statements like that from one of the most prolific posters (to casual observer read: ardent supporter) do nothing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I think keeping an eye on the board and preventing waffle and repeating topics is generally a good idea....

BUT - most of the posts are (as mentioned earlier) directed at eircom, and peoples frustration at the lack of real broadband. Surely we can't have a thread with over a thousand posts, because the same thing is repeated over and over :)

People who post for the sake of it, perhaps they could be muted. But only allowing committee members to post is ridiculous. Many people have valid inputs, and should be allowed to speak their mind.

Personnally (I'm sure others feel the same) I wouldn't bother coming here if i was prevented from posting, for very obvious reasons :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by kamobe
    I think keeping an eye on the board and preventing waffle and repeating topics is generally a good idea....

BUT - most of the posts are (as mentioned earlier) directed at eircom, and peoples frustration at the lack of real broadband. Surely we can't have a thread with over a thousand posts, because the same thing is repeated over and over :)

People who post for the sake of it, perhaps they could be muted. But only allowing committee members to post is ridiculous. Many people have valid inputs, and should be allowed to speak their mind.

Personnally (I'm sure others feel the same) I wouldn't bother coming here if i was prevented from posting, for very obvious reasons :)

At last some sanity.

You people have to sit back and start contemplating what it is you want. If you want a tightly controlled corner for a small clique to exhange 100% ontopic and politically correct posts acceptible by the few in control then you certainly can do it. But if you do you will find that the whole reputation of IrelandOffline will go down the tubes with it, and it can be written off as a self moderated group of insiders who do not represent what the real public want and censor out those who agree with Eircom, Esat etc. etc.

A public web forum is exactly that and it's strength is in it's openness to a variety of opinion. Of course there will be posts that are off the wall at times, but that is the very proof that the public gets it's say. Is there duplication ? yes there is. That's life. Is there waffle and daftness ? yes and that's life too.

I've never seen a 1000 article thread yet but there is a clear choice of page numbers available on the main page and as long as there is a limit to page lengths then its not a problem.

Chopping racist, violent or radically irrelevant posting is appropriate but the kind of obsessive control freak instincts of the moderator is a damaging path that can only minimise the groups impact on public opinion and the powers that be.

The only decent suggestion I see above is the establishment of subject sectors for the furum: ADSL, Lowband Flatrate, General, Announcements, technical etc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Nggggggggggh.

I am NOT repeat NOOOOOT suggesting that the public be stopped form posting here. At all.

What I WAS suggesting was more of the kinda "splitting the board up into topics" Idea with ONE of those topics being Announcements/Committee where IOFFL stuff could be posted by IOFFL people and every one could read.

Jaysis, I mean, boards is all about public discussion...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

DeV.

People are obviously enthusiastic about the Ireland offline forum. Even suggesting a read only forum is naive and frankly disparaging.
    Jaysis, I mean, boards is all about public discussion...
    DeV.

Slight contradtiction there in my opinion…

I would suggest either the members have there own little forum that the public does not get to see. Or the forum remains 100% open to the public.

Surely you can think of a solution regarding the crazy posters that would be fair on the general public…
    :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I moderate a vbulletin board, Im sure theres an easier way to do this but my suggestion is as follows.

1 - Create a post titled 'Announcements'.

2 - Sticky post.

3 - Lock post.

4 - Make all IOFFL commitee members moderators of the IOFFL forum.

5 - Moderators can reply to closed posts.

Or do something far better I havent thought of :)

PS: vbulletin ownz j00

Originally posted by Praetorian

Slight contradtiction there in my opinion…

Actually, it's not.

DeV's original suggestion would be to have the other forum (read-only for members, read-write for committee members) for announcements AS WELL as the existing forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Bard
    (read-only for members, read-write for committee members) for announcements AS WELL as the existing forum.

In my opinion most people will not be satisfied with JUST reading what the committee members have to say.

My suggestion makes sense:

We are either A) able to read & write to all forums

B) we do not see READ only forums (because if will infuriate people, if they cannot respond)

If there is going to be READ only forums / announcements then I would suggest that they are completely factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Well as long as this read only section was purely an anouncement thing i would'nt mind just as long as it wouldn't become a vehicle for the opinions of the commitee with the exclusion of the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if everyone would read every word instead of reading what they wanted into each post things would be easier..

I generally read these boards, but dont post that much, as Im not one for posting a 500 word post echoing everything 34 people have already said. I would therefore be a big fan of a 'multi-board' system - one where the top brass post updates/requests etc - with no noise or rubbish and the other board(s) where we can fight like childeren and call each other spa's :rolleyes:

We could keep the existing forum as a "General IrelandOffline" forum and have sub-forums for specific popular topic.

- has anyone any suggestions for what the sub-forums could be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by smokin' an'chewin' man

The only decent suggestion I see above is the establishment of subject sectors for the furum: ADSL, Lowband Flatrate, General, Announcements, technical etc.

No comment.

Al.

Advertisement