Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor E-mail settings wrecking my head (Warning long post)

• 20-10-2005 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm trying to setup the E-mail application on my Meteor 6230i (with my Gmail account).
    Having played about with various settings for ages (kept getting the "subscribe to GRPS service first" message) I found http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=305795&highlight=meteor+e-mail when the search function was working again.
    Anyhow I've entered the following info:

Menu => Settings => Configuration => Personal Configuration Settings => Pop3

Menu => Messages => Message Settings => E-Mail Messages => Configuration => Personal Configuration

Menu => Messages => Message Settings => E-Mail Messages => Account => Pop3

Right, so I went to Menu => Settings => Configuration => Personal Configuration Settings => Add New => Email.
    I entered the following:
    Account Name: Email
    My Name: (My Name)
    E-mail address: my.name@gmail.com
    Include Signature: No
    Reply-to address: my.name@gmail.com
    SMTP Secure Login: Login
    SMTP user name: my.name
    SMTP Password: my gmail password
    Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
    Outgoing SMTP port: 587
    Use Preferred access point: No

SMTP Access Point
    Proxy: enabled
    Proxy address: 10.85.85.85
    Proxy Port: 9021
    Data Bearer: GPRS

Bearer Settings
    GPRS Access Point: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Authentication type: Normal
    Username: My
    Password: Meteor

Incoming server type: Pop3

Incoming mail settings
    Retrieve e-mails: 30
    Pop3 secure login: Login
    Pop3 user name: my.name
    Pop3 password: my gmail password
    Incoming pop3 server: pop.gmail.com
    Incoming pop3 port: 995
    Use preferred access point: No

Pop3 access point
    Proxy Port: 9201
    Data bearer: GPRS

Bearer settings
    GPRS access point: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Authentication type: normal
    User name: my
    Password: meteor

I then activated this new account and tried to retrieve e-mail and got a “Temporary Network Problem". However, I'm not sure that it's because of these settings as the GPRS browser is now giving the same message (I think the GPRS network may be down at the minute here in Laois).

I phoned Meteor yesterday to make sure that this a/c was "provisioned" and explained what I was trying to do - the girl on the phone just kept telling me that my a/c was provisioned for everything and just to download the e-mail settings from the Meteor website :rolleyes:

Long story short: has anyone got this to work? If so, are my settings correct?

Any help appreciated before I smash this phone off a wall...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've been through this too. Never resolved it and just gave up! I have to check my email on my K700i using dial up!! It sucks, but what can I do !?

It was fantastic to have my IMAP mail checking automatically over GPRS in the UK on Orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

SMTP & POP3 Access Point
    Proxy Port: 9021
    Data Bearer: GPRS

is there a reason for inserting the WAP Gateway's IP and Port into the email settings... (it should be ISP only, i.e. a direct Internet connection) have you tried with the proxy disabled

have you tried setting up a non-secured POP email account (e.g. eircom or even meteor's own), then try Gmail with it's specific security and port requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Sorry for dragging this up, but I'm just wondering if anyone ever managed to get this working?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Buffer

I've been trying to access my email recently with my Razr on Meteor, with no success.

The first couple of times that I rang Meteor's customer support, they said they'd enable settings on my phone and that I had to set up a mail account on mymeteor.ie -- not actually necessary since I want to access my existing email account (though I prpbably need the SMTP server of mymetoer.ie for sending outgoing emails).

The third time I got somebody who appeared to be clued in, and said he would post out settings to me by email within the hour. They never arrived.

The last time I phoned, to ask whether there was an error with my email address or anything, they said that meteor doesn't support this. However, the guy was a bit dazed and confused -- kept talking about 3G cards for laptops. He also said that the only way to access email on the phone is via WAP, which I hope isn't true -- no point in having a built-in mail app in the phone in that case.

However, I have tried the settings on the Irish Operator Settings sticky for GPRS WAP and ISP GPRS, in conjunction with both POP3 and IMAP settings for existing mail accounts, without success.

If anyone can shed light on this, it would be very welcome ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Buffer wrote:
    I've been trying to access my email recently with my Razr on Meteor, with no success.

The first couple of times that I rang Meteor's customer support, they said they'd enable settings on my phone and that I had to set up a mail account on mymeteor.ie -- not actually necessary since I want to access my existing email account (though I prpbably need the SMTP server of mymetoer.ie for sending outgoing emails).

The third time I got somebody who appeared to be clued in, and said he would post out settings to me by email within the hour. They never arrived.

The last time I phoned, to ask whether there was an error with my email address or anything, they said that meteor doesn't support this. However, the guy was a bit dazed and confused -- kept talking about 3G cards for laptops. He also said that the only way to access email on the phone is via WAP, which I hope isn't true -- no point in having a built-in mail app in the phone in that case.

However, I have tried the settings on the Irish Operator Settings sticky for GPRS WAP and ISP GPRS, in conjunction with both POP3 and IMAP settings for existing mail accounts, without success.

If anyone can shed light on this, it would be very welcome ...

I am having the same problem - I have a motorola v3 with meteor and trying to set it up to retrive from my hotmail address without success. Anyone have any luck on a different network perhaps?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My conclusion is that the easiest way to get email on your phone in Ireland, without going for the Blackberry service, is to switch to O2 pre-pay and get one of their i-mode phones.

It's so easy. Just log into Gmail and set it up to forward messages to your i-mail address (takes all of 5 seconds to do).

Once done, you will automatically receive emails on your phone within seconds. Receiving them is free, and sending is 15c, which is decent value. Kudos to O2 for making this service easy to use and reliable.

:cool:
    My conclusion is that the easiest way to get email on your phone in Ireland, without going for the Blackberry service, is to switch to O2 pre-pay and get one of their i-mode phones.

It's so easy. Just log into Gmail and set it up to forward messages to your i-mail address (takes all of 5 seconds to do).

Once done, you will automatically receive emails on your phone within seconds. Receiving them is free, and sending is 15c, which is decent value. Kudos to O2 for making this service easy to use and reliable.

Thats not a bad idea at all - Will price some phones and see what i end up with - Tell me how do i go about getting a gmail account - i tryed signing up but you either have to be invited or sign up by txt but i dont know anyone on gmail and they dont have the txt service set up for Ireland - Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

I've been trying this too with meteor and apparently sending mail out is a problem. it was suggested I used the SMTP server at online.ie, but at the moment online.ie are not issuing any new email accounts. I was ablle to receive mail using: pop = mail1.eircom.net. and even managed to get 1 out through eircom, but that was it.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cb750

Are you guys trying to do the impossible? :D
    Setting up email accounts via GPRS nearly drove me to drink :p
    I find both Vodafone and Meteor work well but with limitations.
    If you are using an ISP ( such as Vodafone ) and you are trying to mail out using a different SMTP server your ISP will probably not allow it.
    From what I can gather you may be attempting to relay emails and that's a no-no, I understand it's to stop spaming.
    When I'm using Vodafone GPRS I can receive mails from lots different accounts but I can only send from my vodafone account:(
    It's worse with Meteor GPRS, again I have no problems receiving mails but I have to use the phone's wap browser to send a mail.:mad:
    Hopefully this may stop someone pulling their hair out :eek:
    Sorry if it's not the answer you wanted and if someone else tells me how to do it then they are better than Vodafone's and Meteor's tech.support put together but then that wouldn't be hard:(
    Patrick

cb750
    I attache header of an email I sent this morning from 6230i on Meteor PAYG through leircom.net to a gmail account. I've succeeded in doing this a few times, but its not consistent. I think that each time it works its on eircom receiving server 112.. This morning on this email main recipeint was an eircom account and the gmail was "bcc" . Tried again later today and it would'nt work.

Do meteor have any pop settings for their own email addresses or are these purely for online use?

Nice to see someone who still has the catholic penchant for suffering and pennance i.e. trying to get mail out through Meteor PAYG!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cb750

Thanks dohouch
    I've just tried it again for the first time in ages. A mail from my iPAQ via Meteor GPRS (PAYG) using a utvinternet account to another Utvinternet account and to my amazement it worked :D
    But when I tried again a few minutes ago it failed. :(
    So agreed "its not consistent" I'll play with it again over the next few days but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

:cool:

Thats not a bad idea at all - Will price some phones and see what i end up with - Tell me how do i go about getting a gmail account - i tryed signing up but you either have to be invited or sign up by txt but i dont know anyone on gmail and they dont have the txt service set up for Ireland - Thanks

PM me and I'll send you a Gmail invite (be sure to include your current email address, otherwise I can't send the invitation to you). This offer only counts for Blackdragon, so please don't PM me hoping to get a Gmail invitation just like that. I don't want to get 100's of requests. :D

PM me and I'll send you a Gmail invite (be sure to include your current email address, otherwise I can't send the invitation to you). This offer only counts for Blackdragon, so please don't PM me hoping to get a Gmail invitation just like that. I don't want to get 100's of requests. :D

Sweet - Thanks a million:)

cb750 wrote:
    Are you guys trying to do the impossible? :D
    Setting up email accounts via GPRS nearly drove me to drink :p
    I find both Vodafone and Meteor work well but with limitations.
    If you are using an ISP ( such as Vodafone ) and you are trying to mail out using a different SMTP server your ISP will probably not allow it.
    From what I can gather you may be attempting to relay emails and that's a no-no, I understand it's to stop spaming.
    When I'm using Vodafone GPRS I can receive mails from lots different accounts but I can only send from my vodafone account:(
    It's worse with Meteor GPRS, again I have no problems receiving mails but I have to use the phone's wap browser to send a mail.:mad:
    Hopefully this may stop someone pulling their hair out :eek:
    Sorry if it's not the answer you wanted and if someone else tells me how to do it then they are better than Vodafone's and Meteor's tech.support put together but then that wouldn't be hard:(
    Patrick

What email account are you recieving emails from with meteor?

I don't think receiving is the problem. I receive from - mail1.eircom.net- and occasionally get one out throug the same server ( eircom pop and smtp have the same name). I think Gmail require security both up and down from pop clients. And going out through gmail is beyond my 6230i.
    Have come across a website www.smtp.com that have a pay for smtp service, the idea being I think, that you can send any email address you like out through their smtp service. It's U.S. based so anybody that keen to use meteor PAYG with a POP mail client might check it out. Off topic came across a news today of a java app today for wifi phones, enabling them to make VOIP calls. Will check the paper again (Guardian IT) but I think it was called Tri-Call.
    hairless, dOH

Advertisement