Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME development + Sony Ericsson

Options
  • 20-10-2005 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I am new to the whole mobile app development thing and am trying to write a small application to run on my Sony Eircsson T630. I am having two problems:

1. I have a Bluetooth card on my laptop. It can detect my phone (bluetooth is turned on), its shows my phone icon but when I double click on the Transfer Files/OBEX (or something like that) icon, it says it cant connect. Initially when it detects the phone, my phone tells me that "laptop" is connecting and it asks for a password, which I put in on the phone then the laptop prompts for it and I put that in too. I uninstalled and reinstalled the bluetooth sw but no luck. The icon on my laptop for bluetooth connectivity is activated and the little green light on the bluetooth card pulses so I know it is on and working. Is there some settings I need to set or is it just tempermental? Also Bluetooth seems to be working off COM5 (COM1-4 on my laptop are already in use) so I cant synchronize with the sony ericsson sw that came with the phone presumably because it seems to be wanted to connect to bluetooth over COM3 which is already in use does that seem right? Can I change the port over which the sony ericsson sw is trying to connect or is it hardcoded to COM3?

2. I am using Netbeans with the mobility pack installed and have the Sony Ericsson J2ME SW installed (which I presume acts as an emulator while you are developing - is this true?). When I run the hello world app that came with netbeans, its tells me it cant connect to the phone or the proxy settings are incorrect. Is this because Bluetooth does not seem to be able to communicate with my phone? Is there some magic setting I dont have set? How to do get your application to stop using an emulator and use an actual phone? Am I just not understanding the whole thing? There seems to be settings for Http, is it somehow expecting to connect to the internet (I dont have internet at the moment)?

I should also add that I used a USB connector to connect my phone directly to the laptop and that didnt work either.
    Sorry for the long winded post, any help at all appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

i messed about with some J2ME stuff a few months back. i have a sony ericsson T610. i didn't try transferring the files across using bluetooth. do you have docs explaining how this is done??

i used OTA(Over the air) provisioning. this is the same process as is used when downloading games etc... You need a webserver and you upload you're JAD and JAR files to the server. Using your phone browse to the JAD file which will prompt you to download the JAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

i didn't try transferring the files across using bluetooth. do you have docs explaining how this is done??

That is what I am looking for!!!

I havent managed to connect the phone to the laptop with Bluetooth. In theory you should be able to do it without needing the internet and a web server to send the files up and down. Netbeans with mobility pack allowes you to develop the app and connecting over bluetooth should send it to the phone (assuming data is small enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

ok. sorry. never done it with bluetooth(as i mentioned) so i don't really know much about that approach. although i have connected my phone to my PC via bluetooth with no problems. don't remember having to do many changes to get it working.

from point number 2 of yours i get the impression you don't completely understand how midlets work. you develop the midlet on your OC and can use emulators to test it etc... but then you have to transfer the JAD and JAR files across to the phone and run them from the phone. the emulator doesn't connect to the phone or run anything on the phone itself. if this is what you mean???

fatlog wrote:
    ok. sorry. never done it with bluetooth(as i mentioned) so i don't really know much about that approach. although i have connected my phone to my PC via bluetooth with no problems. don't remember having to do many changes to get it working.

No problem! I still cant get the phone to connect to bluetooth and do normal things like synch the contacts - this is standard stuff that I should be able to do but I think its because of the Sony Ericsson SW wanted to connect on COM3 and that port is already in use.....dont know how to get around this.

fatlog wrote:
    from point number 2 of yours i get the impression you don't completely understand how midlets work

Yep, I dont quite understand it - without internet access I cant download any documetation about it.....must get to internet cafe one of these days....in the meantime I thought i'd post here to see if people had any suggestions.
    fatlog wrote:
    you develop the midlet on your OC and can use emulators to test it etc... but then you have to transfer the JAD and JAR files across to the phone and run them from the phone. the emulator doesn't connect to the phone or run anything on the phone itself. if this is what you mean???

Ok, so I have tried to run my midlet on Netbeans but it comes up with an error message saying cant connect to phone - I wasnt trying to connect to phone but to run it with the emulator (which I assume mimics a phone without needing to be connected to one?) How do you tell it to not run on the phone but to use the emulator?

So I thought since it is trying to connect to phone I'd get back to trying to get my phone to connect to bluetooth, but still having problems with this as mentioned above. I didnt think it should be this difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're using XP with SP1, the MS bluetooth drivers leave much to be desired. You don't say what kind of PC you're using: if you have a laptop, e.g. a Thinkpad, make sure you use the IBM drivers; if you;re using a dongle, make sure you use the dongle-suppliers drivers. Since the non-MS drivers almost certainly are not cedrtified, you have to explicity install them.

FYI, once I dumped the MS drivers on my work laptop & my home desktop, my T610 and the replacement T630 worked perfectly. Drag&drop the JAR to the phone and it'll be accepted there, just as you can d&d music, graphics, etc. You shouldn't need the jad file since you're provisioning directly.

• Advertisement

bpmurray wrote:
    If you're using XP with SP1, the MS bluetooth drivers leave much to be desired. You don't say what kind of PC you're using: if you have a laptop, e.g. a Thinkpad, make sure you use the IBM drivers; if you;re using a dongle, make sure you use the dongle-suppliers drivers. Since the non-MS drivers almost certainly are not cedrtified, you have to explicity install them.

FYI, once I dumped the MS drivers on my work laptop & my home desktop, my T610 and the replacement T630 worked perfectly. Drag&drop the JAR to the phone and it'll be accepted there, just as you can d&d music, graphics, etc. You shouldn't need the jad file since you're provisioning directly.

Cool, thanks - I'll try replacing the drivers at the weekend. I have a dell inspiron laptop running XP, but as far as i remember (i've tried so many things at this stage) the drivers are Dell drivers that belong to the bluetooth card and i'm not using any MS bluetooth drivers.....but no harm in playing around with it.

Advertisement