Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 3d app?

Options
  • 20-10-2005 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

I'm in a course where we use discreet 3d studio max, and I'm reasonably comfortable with it so far, and am learning steadily. It's bloody dear if I want to do my own work though.

Maya is bigger than max in some parts of the industry, but at least I know there's a free learning version that anyone can use.

And then someone tells me that Cinema 4d has the easiest workflow of any off-the-shelf 3d animation app.

I want to train up in all these apps and more, eventually, but I've a while until I outgrow one 3d program. And sure, if 3dsmax is good enough for Rockstar North, then it's good enough for me.

What's your experience or opinion when it comes to different 3d animation programmes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

nowadays there is relavtivly little difference between the big boys (max, maya, xsi) they are all tools and have advantages and disadvantages. none of them will make your work any better.

pick one and make good work with it... i use max have tried maya and didnt like it but thats just me

mark

http://www.sitesled.com/members/marktsang/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

sorry if this is hijacking, but ropedrink have you done any hl2 modification?

mark

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

3DS Max for Games
    Maya/XSI/Houdini for Film

Cinema 4D is amazing, it is by far the easiest to use. It isnt that well known yet but its getting popular. the fact that you can buy the product for about 800 and then buy extra modules piece by piece is a great advantage.

XSI Foundation is only 500 for a professional level 3D app.

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭reyner

Just my opinion. Continue to learn Max.

Max has been the 3d program for architectural visualizations and games for long time now.
    Lately, with the arrival of Vray rendering plugin, more and more studios worldwide involved in TV and film work have adopted max just because of the quality and speed of renderings using Vray.

Reyner

www.archivisions.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

reyner wrote:
    Lately, with the arrival of Vray rendering plugin, more and more studios worldwide involved in TV and film work have adopted max just because of the quality and speed of renderings using Vray.

I've been noticing the name Vray from place to place lately, and it does seem to make renders look the bees knees. If you're curious (you might have seen it already but) there's some classy aul buildings stuff on www.cgarchitect.com the people on there seem to get great results with the 3dsmax/vray combo. Must go see how much it costs (not as if I'll be paying for max, let alone a renderer, but curiosity demands inquiry).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

RopeDrink wrote:
    The problem with programs (and variations OF programs) is that getting used to one will generally cause you to dislike others (or simply deter you from using them) due to minor differences and other such problems...

I know what you mean, I'm currently experiencing the joy of moving from Director to Flash, and I'm wondering why they ever taught us Director (though I'm told Lingo is more intuitive than Actionscript to code for)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just wondering: the 3DSMAX course: when, where, and how much? Also, are there any videos online that teach you (other than IS04's Modelling video tutorial, on how to build a house) how to build stuff & do stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

the_syco wrote:
    Also, are there any videos online that teach you
    http://www.3dbuzz.com
    You have to register, but basic registration is free and takes like 2 mins... they've got an absolute shítload of video tutorials, some of them require you be a paid-up subscriber, but there are loads of good 3dMax video tutorials available for non-subscribers. Think I've seen all the free ones so far, and they're very good, the guy doing them really knows his stuff.

Advertisement