Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Hosting

• 20-10-2005 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi,sorry if this has been asked b4 but I couldnt find it anywhere.
    How do you setup software hosting like a game server or website(ftp) with the BT ZyXEL modem. Is there even an option ,like that of the Netopia Caymen(Eircom).
    Ive been testing it any anytime I type in my WAN IP it brings up the log in screen for my modem rather than the website, Im using Apache but I dont think thats the problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i think you need to find a security setting under the security tab on the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

yeah I went there and it give me option of
    Telnet
    FTP
    TFTP
    WEB
    SNTP
    PING

Ive un ticked(allowed) web and ping and it still will now allow me to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Scroll down and pick your modem and it will walk you through it.

ok problem with that is when I do that and use my outer wan ip
    I get the router(modem) config page rather than the website!
    Can anyone help me with this,sorry ive tried to deactivate remote usage

well guys forget what Ive decided to do is go back to the netopia modem.
    and hope eircom dont pick it up.
    The ZyXEL modem has to be one of the worst routers(modems) ive come across, slow response time, reboot needed for every change, forgetting the user name and password. dropping the connection(have been told it doesnt allow VPN traffic through) but I doubt that, then personally I did not like the GUI layout of the router, the telnet was'nt much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I have the same modem/router and I can enable port forwarding to allow other people to gain access to my network.

In the settings page under security, (Telnet, FTP, HTTP...) Try disabling all of them.
    Disable remote managment so that access to the configuration page is only from the LAN and NOT the WAN. This should be the default anyway.
    Go to the main page and select NAT, then beside SUA (or which of the two is selected) and click edit details and enter the ports that you want to forward.

By disabling access to the managment interface from the WAN the router should not show the page if you access it from a computer not connected to your LAN, ie from a neighbours PC or a dialup connection.

I was able to open the ports to allow BT uploads on port 6881, I tested it successfuly by running a VNC server on port 5900 and getting a friend to connect to my machine. If it still does not work, then by all means stick with the netopia router. At least the netopia firmware is easier to upgrade as it automaticly checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

Ive been testing it any anytime I type in my WAN IP it brings up the log in screen for my modem rather than the website, Im using Apache but I dont think thats the problem

there is a couple of things you need to check. firstly most dsl modems get a new ip addrress every now and a again. you can get round this with http://www.dyndns.com/ ( gives you a hostname to resolves to your wan ip) if your router supports if it doesnt you can get a bit of software that will upload you wan ip to the service

secondly you will need to open and forward port 80 to your ip address. you may also need to open you firewall. and any other ports your looking to use for ftp etc.

you can run appache but you really are limited by your upload speed.
    if your 128k up people trying to download off you will get about 7-8 k a second. so if you looking to host large files its a pain unless you got good upload.

have a look around your router and see if it has Upnp, this might configure things for you

OK just to let u guys know I sorted this problem
    Locally if I type www.domain.net I get my router gui log in screen
    While outside my network users get to the website so everything is working perfect.
    Thanks for a asvice guys + dont worry not hosting lrg files, just snall txt files and mail server

Advertisement