Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT Modem is crap

• 20-10-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Currently I have a Zyxel Prestige ethernet modem from Esat, hooked up to a FreeBSD machine that acts as my router, I use the OpenBSD PF firewall on FreeBSD for QoS and other neat things.

Now my problem is whenever I download with bittorrent or anything that requires a large ammount of connections, the BT modem freezes, and I have to power cycle it - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I must agree with you on this one, Ive used netgear,d-link,linksys and cisco equipment regularly,even netopia(eircom) and the ZyXEL has to be one of the worst pieces of equipment Ive come across. Im far from being an expert and maybe my patience is getting smaller, but I have swapped back to the Netopia and am much happier for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i use linksys, it has better handling of router traffic, in my experience anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Sparky what linksys do u use and with which provider?
    I swear by linksys Ive never had trouble with em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well I have had no problems with the Zyxel router that I have. It is the Prestige 660RU-T1 ADSL 2+ router/modem.

Since It just came with BB I could not be bothered spending more money for another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

donutface wrote:
    Currently I have a Zyxel Prestige ethernet modem from Esat, hooked up to a FreeBSD machine that acts as my router, I use the OpenBSD PF firewall on FreeBSD for QoS and other neat things.

Now my problem is whenever I download with bittorrent or anything that requires a large ammount of connections, the BT modem freezes, and I have to power cycle it - any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem with the Zyxel Prestige - it freezes every time when I'm using bittorrent. :eek:
    So far I've blamed it on my "exotic" Apple Airport Basestation to which it is hooked up to - but since you have exactly the same prob w/ a different OS/config it seems to be related to the modem.

So
    a) is there a firmware update available or
    b) can anyone recommend a (cheap) DSL modem which does what it is supposed to do? Just needs to be a "dumb" modem, since I have my Airport Extreme as WLAN router.

Any proposals welcome.

TIA,
    Yogi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement