Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My MP3 Player

• 20-10-2005 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I have a Philips Go Gear MP3 Player and I just wanted to know does anybody know how I could get more songs on to it so far it is full at like 100 but the guy in the shop said it could hold up to 250? Also is there any way I could make the memory for it bigger?

Thanks,
    Xylo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You'll fit more music if you convert it to WMA first.

Convert it to 64kbps and you'll fit double the music (music quality will take a small hit, though.... experiment with a few tracks first). If you're not happy with 64kbps, delete the WMA file and convert the original MP3 to 96kbps instead.

I think the Phillips players have fixed memory, so there is no way to upgrade them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

TmB wrote:
    You'll fit more music if you convert it to WMA first.

Convert it to 64kbps and you'll fit double the music (music quality will take a small hit, though.... experiment with a few tracks first). If you're not happy with 64kbps, delete the WMA file and convert the original MP3 to 96kbps instead...

How? I'm not really that good with this sort of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Xylophonic wrote:
    it is full at like 100 but the guy in the shop said it could hold up to 250?
    This is just a very rough (and probably very optimistic) guide. E.g. it can hold 250 songs that are 3 min long and encoded in 64kbps WMA. Reality is though that most songs are 5-6 min long and encoded at 128-192kbps mp3, which means that it can actually only hold about 100.
    You could re-encode them to a different format and/or lower bitrate but it's prob not worth the effort tbh. They'll likely sound a bit crappier as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't know about that, muckwarrior. I have a 512mb iRiver player, and I use 96kbps for all tracks (fits about 170 tracks).

Xylophonic - download DBPowerAmp from http://www.dbpoweramp.com. Its freeware.

You will also need to download the WMA 9 Codec from here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm (Don't download 9.1 - files made with it probably won't work on your player). Also download v9 codec release 2.

Once you've installed DBpoweramp and the 2 codec installers, rightclick on an MP3 file, and convert to CBR 96kbps, 44kHz, stereo CBR. The file will be about half the size of a 192kbps (maybe even smaller), and sounds fine on an MP3 player.

Advertisement