Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Alloys Rubbing

Options
  • 20-10-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I just bought a set of Wolfrace Katana's for my Mk2 Punto. They're 205/40/17.

I noticed a rubbing noise coming from the back if i turn the car at a really sharp angle so i had a loook and i think the tyres are rubbing off the shocks.

At least thats what i think it is, but i know F all about cars so i could be wrong.

Theres a kind of arm thing leading down to the tyre and it has marks on it as if it has been rubbed

The noise dosent happen that often but im wondering if it's doing any harm, and would spacers stop this?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thats your springs/shocks its rubbing off.

Spacers might do the trick, but then the wheel may rub off your arch

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That sounds like the tyre is rubbing against the shock absorber.

The Punto may not be designed for 17" alloys.

Also you may need to get a lower profile tyre but to be honest anything lower than a profile of 40 will kill your alloys and tyres on Irish roads.

I'm no expert but if as you say there are marks on the tyres from this then it could be dangerous, damage the tyres and could cause a blowout. Also this would be worse if you have people sitting in the rear of the car as the shocks

Did you fit the wheels yourself as a repitable tyre centre would probably have spotted this and refuse to put them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You need to get bump stops (I think thats what they are called). A piece like an engine mount that will stop the wheel hitting the shocks.

Bump Stops – their common name belies their full function. In addition to preventing the suspension from "bottoming" as the vehicle hits large road irregularities, many bump stops are also progressive acting elastomer springs that combine both springing and damping properties. Under certain conditions bump stops act as "supplemental springs" to help optimize and fine-tune a vehicle’s ride and handling.

IMO 17's are too big, be like putting 19's on my Astra.

A good alloy wheel shop should be able to tell you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

get spacers and roll the arch, alot of hassle though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Do spacers not feck up your wheel bearing.

Nice Integra

• Advertisement

Not sure, normally all alloys comes with spacers depends what car is for, but thats only spacer for the diameter of the fitting to ensure the wheel is fitted dead center, not how far in it seats, but a good shop or some bodyshop that do wide arch body kit might be able to give you more info, since the move the wheels out further to match up the wide arch kit! I've never came across this kind of problem, just a bit of suggestions really!!!
    kluivert wrote:
    Nice Integra

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Cut your losses and get 15", it would make the car look a lot smarter. 17" are too big for a Punto, sell them on.

At least that's what I think anyway... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

Thanks 4 the replies.

I considered what size to get for a good while before i bought them, and i checked on some Fiat Forums, and a lot of people have 17's on puntos so I thought why not.

Also the guy in the shop told me they'd fit no probs. Im after payin E1100 and they look well so i really dont want to get rid of them!!!!
    StRiKeR wrote:
    get spacers and roll the arch, alot of hassle though!

Would that cost much??

I have no Idea, never had to do that, any bodyshop should be able to tell you, shop around for prices and maybe ask everyone how good the bodyshop is before you decide where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Sounds like there the wrong offset wheels,most wolfrace offsets are 40 and if im not mistaken a polo takes from 32 to 38.

Is it rubbing without passengers when taking a corner?Ive 18's on my civic and its lowered and i only get rubbing on 1 side with people in the back but my arch's havnt been rolled yet.

If you need to get your archs rolled its only like 50 for the back two archs done properly but thats only of use to you if its the outside of the tyre being rubbed

• Advertisement

Oh if its rubbing the inside then spacers are probably what you need,there not expensive either,about 30 to 50 for a rear set

eireal wrote:
    Sounds like there the wrong offset wheels,most wolfrace offsets are 40 and if im not mistaken a polo takes from 32 to 38.

Is it rubbing without passengers when taking a corner?Ive 18's on my civic and its lowered and i only get rubbing on 1 side with people in the back but my arch's havnt been rolled yet.

If you need to get your archs rolled its only like 50 for the back two archs done properly but thats only of use to you if its the outside of the tyre being rubbed

It's a punto, but i remember when i was ordering them i wanted mutli spokes, but the guy in the shop said they were the too big for a punto, and the wrong off set, but he said the wolfrace would fit fine so thats why i picked them

I guess i'll just have to go back to the shop and see what they say.

I think you are giving yourself the best advice there and go back to the shop.

You can see what they say compared to what has been said above and if you look like you know what you are talking about they won't screw ya ;)

punto is 4x98 with offsets from 30 - 38,is it the inside or the outside of the tyre that has the scrub marks?

eireal wrote:
    punto is 4x98 with offsets from 30 - 38,is it the inside or the outside of the tyre that has the scrub marks?

Now that you say it i remember him saying something about 4x98 when i ordered them.

It's the arm thingy (:rolleyes: ) of the shock that has the rub marks on it. I doubt the tyre has any rub marks on it, cause as i said it only really happens when i turn a sharp bend, like pulling accross a road into an estate or someting like that. And if the surface is uneven. It dosent happen when im driving at 60 or whatever on main roads. I reckon it's whatever way the car leans.

T5pwr - Im afraid it's probably painfully obvious that i dont have a bulls about what im talking about but sure i'll give it a go.
    i think when a woman walks into these shops, they immediately think, we'll rip this one off big style!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Get the people who sold these to you to look at where they are rubbing. They shouldn't rub at the rear just when you are turning - 17's are fine on a Mk11 Punto - there is plenty of room but if the offset of the wheel is 34 or lower they will rub the shock or swingarm. A set of spacers will sort it easily but get proper professional advice.

Do you notice any adverse handling from the steering - is it following lines on the road or juddering unexpectedly which might also suggest the offset is wrong?

'c

if the tyre aint rubbing then it can only be the rim, did you get a chaqnce to look at the inner side of the rim and tyre, spacer will sort out the inner side rubbing but might make the tyre rub off the arch on the outter side, 2 solution for that though, lower profile or roll the arch! if still rub on bumps after spacer - arch rolled or lower profile, harder suspension :)

Not to worry, I'm pretty lost with some of the stuff that these lads are saying here also... It's not what you know it's how much they think you know :D

If you even want to go to a different garage and ask them first what size offset and pcd the wheels are incase you were given the wrong size you can then go back to who you bought them from and tell them this.

It's strange you cant see any rubbing on the tyre but on the shock tho,if you go over a bump with slight speed or with people in the back on bumps or corners are you getting the noise?

I was thinking, if the problem happens on only one side... Does it? Could there be a slight problem with the shock? :confused:

Just a suggestion...

• Advertisement

Do you notice any adverse handling from the steering - is it following lines on the road or juddering unexpectedly which might also suggest the offset is wrong?

'c

No, the handling is fine.

And it is happening on both sides. I didnt get a chance to check for rubbing on the tyres yet, i'll have a look later.

What exactly does the offset and pcd mean??

The offset is basically how far the wheel sticks out,eg 32 would be in further under the arch than 40 which on the wrong car could make the wheel stick out.

Pcd is how many milimeters between each stud/hole in the wheels on the hub

eireal wrote:
    The offset is basically how far the wheel sticks out,eg 32 would be in further under the arch than 40 which on the wrong car could make the wheel stick out.

Pcd is how many milimeters between each stud/hole in the wheels on the hub

Grand thanks. Gonna head into the shop tomorrow and see what they say.

Advertisement