Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Broadband Revolution in Spain

Options
  • 20-10-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.yannicklaclau.com/2005/10/the_silent_revo.html
    I've written for the broadbandwiki about the recent game-changing ADSL offer by Jazztel in Spain.
    (20 meg down/ 1 meg up + unlimited local/national calls + wifi/router for 30 euros/month!)

Now, via Martin Varsavsky's blog (in Spanish), we learn that Jazztel is gaining 3,000 gross adds per day, or roughly 90,000 per month.

To put that number in perspective, the growth of the entire Spanish ADSL market has averaged maybe 70-80,000 per month over the past 2 years.

So assuming that Jazztel's churn is no higher than that of its peers, either they have succeeded in exploding the market's natural growth rate, or are devouring the growth of every other player (maybe even forcing some into a situation of negative net adds).

One company is signing up more per month now than every other company combined, after they brought out a new high speed, low cost service. That's demand stimulation.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats because Spain, despite starting LLU after we did here , had a regulator who made automated LLU work for the alt.telecom sector .....so did France come to think of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I used to live in tenerife, it was nearly 4 years ago now (never get tired of telling people tho :p) but I had 512/256 ADSL (not RADSL) with a 12:1 contention, a static IP and a 3com officeconnect 4 port router for €60 a month for the year before i left, so they (even on a bunch of islands, 1000 miles away from the south coast of spain) were well on the way when Ireland was still crawling out of the primordial broadband soup.

looking at that though, I might just move back for those speeds!
    [align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i stayed in a great place on the edge of the pyrenees he had no mains water (he had to bowser clean water in) and couldn't get a phone line that worked continuously, maybe the cities are covered but get out of them its the same as anywhere else.

Advertisement