Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Quota Management

Options
  • 20-10-2005 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for the easiest way to manage a shared broadband connection so that I can kill off individual XP client users when they're taking the piss.....

I've a 20GB cap at the moment which is bucket-loads more than I'll need personally. The problem is that my 3 housemates (All too tight to spend money on the connection BTW) who are download fiends. I want to shut them down if they're abusing my goodwill in sharing MY connection.

Anyone have any ideas? I know it's possible to mod a Linksys WRT but I'm hoping someone can suggest something very straightforward that I can stick on a spare box under the stairs.

Cheers,

Gil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I not exactly sure of how exactly this can be done. But look into a RADIUS server with ACCOUNTING support the first that comes to mind are freeradius.

A google search should come up trumps.

afaik RADIUS servers is how all ISP's track all bandwith use and if utv can disconnect people over it, shouldn't be too hard to do something like that at home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's HTTP / FTP you could force them to use a proxy server
    and then get a version of squid with delay pools so they will contend with each other for bandwidth. OK it isn't a download cap but it may help. And caching may also help too depending on what sort of stuff they are into.

Squid for windows links
    http://www.acmeconsulting.it/pagine/opensource/download/squid.htm

If it's P2P then you may have to look at something else.

I'm sure there are plenty of linux apps to do this if you have a spare machine.

You could just monitor the traffic and post up the total downloadage of each person.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If I was you I wouldn't let them use it if they didn't at least chip in for the cost of it. Dirty freeloaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Thanks for the replies so far lads. It's not really what I'm looking for to be honest but it's given me a little more to think about in the meantime.

I've found one of two things on Cnet Download etc., but nothing that's happy to just run on a machine and not go broadcasting to an external server - What a f'n pain in the arse.

I'm surprised that there's no *simple* application to be found that can run on a box and limit the traffic it will pass to and from, either based on IP address or MAC addy tables.

Not to worry - The search will go on....

Gil

Advertisement